ASL

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jamm

ASL

Post by Jamm »

Been tinkering with some boards the last couple days.
Anyone feel like purchasing the rights from Paradox and programming the game?

Attachments
ASLBoard..024x366.jpg
ASLBoard..024x366.jpg (276.79 KiB) Viewed 258 times
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
bairdlander2

RE: ASL

Post by bairdlander2 »

Why was ASL not made?It started me in wargaming.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

they did……… http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... uad_Leader

I don’t get gamers hang up with vassl ?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Love the symbol set\map.

If I had your talent I'd redo all the Tigers unleashed symbol set.
ORIGINAL: Jamm

Been tinkering with some boards the last couple days.
Anyone feel like purchasing the rights from Paradox and programming the game?

Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

They made Steel Panthers close enough for me. Bout the only thing I'd change is make square counters for the units as the top down 2D look isn't what I like so much.
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Well I have computer version of ASL (including computer AI opponent, I don't have MP implemented...only single player), I spent like 5 years writing in C++. The problem is I can't publish it since there is no way to get a license. What I have implemented:

All Infantry Units MMC/HS/SMC/CREW for German/Russian/American/British Nationalities.
40 Support Weapons (LMG/MMG/HMG/DC/FT/PSK/PF/ATR/Light MTR/PIAT/Molotov Projector/Radio/Bazooka)
95 Ordnance (Mortars, Anti-Tank Guns, Anti-Aircraft Guns, Artillery)
162 Vehicles(Light/Medium/Heavy Tanks, Tank Destroyers, Assault Guns, Armored Cars, Half-Tracks)
28 Off Board Artillery Pieces including Mortar/Howtzier/Rocket

Here is a picture of my ASL game engine:

Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Here is a picture of Tiger vs T-34s...note that I don't actually rotate the 5"8 counters in my game. Instead the Green Triangle shows the VCA (Vehicular Covered Arc) and Yellow Triangle (shown on one of the T-34 counters) shows TCA (Turret Covered Arc) Turret Position.

The game engine supports LOS processing down to pixel level (of course using ASL LOS processing rules) and up to 12 ASL maps can be joined together. Maximum of 200 squads per side with 50 Ordnance and 50 vehicles per side.

I think the reason why ASL was never really truly made in its boardgame form (like I have done it) is because there rules are complex and so writing all the game rules and then testing it wouldn't justify small numbers of games being sold. Even I don't have all the rules of the 300 pounds ASL rulebook implemented, just the core. All the phases, infantry can do move/assault/double time...fire in all the phases (including Close Combat and Rout Phases). Vehicles move and fire but I don't have gun duel rules or motion attempt rules. I don't have air support or desert or pacific rules...or sniper rules.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

Wow. That looks great Peter.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Looks great mate...
ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

Well I have computer version of ASL (including computer AI opponent, I don't have MP implemented...only single player), I spent like 5 years writing in C++. The problem is I can't publish it since there is no way to get a license. What I have implemented:

All Infantry Units MMC/HS/SMC/CREW for German/Russian/American/British Nationalities.
40 Support Weapons (LMG/MMG/HMG/DC/FT/PSK/PF/ATR/Light MTR/PIAT/Molotov Projector/Radio/Bazooka)
162 Vehicles(Light/Medium/Heavy Tanks, Tank Destroyers, Assault Guns, Armored Cars, Half-Tracks)

Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Hey Peter,
Those look good.
With all that work, maybe you should remove any references to ASL and just work on a highly detailed squad level game.
Can your boards and counters be worked on at all?
Hunter S Thompson

Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Jamm

Hey Peter,
Those look good.
With all that work, maybe you should remove any references to ASL and just work on a highly detailed squad level game.
Can your boards and counters be worked on at all?

Yeah, I got two choices: turn the game into a WW2 tactical combat wargame, rip out the ASL stuff out and publish it or just leave it the way it is and release it for free. I'm not sure what you mean by your question. The scenario editor can be used to make custom maps using pre existing terrain/objects selection. Same way like say in steel panthers scenario editor. The game engine has one bitmap file were all the sprites are stored so yes you can modify the unit graphics and terrain but some terrain sprites can not be modified as I use these sprites when determining LOS on a map.
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Didn't really mean anything,....
Looks good though
Hunter S Thompson

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Looks good! The first file kinda reminded me of a Steel Panthers Scenario. Also feeling nostalgic a little...back to my twenty's!
JRR
dougo33

Post by dougo33 »

That looks fantastic! Great job.

GJK

Post by GJK »

If you need a playtester Peter, I'm raising my hand! Is this the same ASL-PC that I tried to get to run on my old Win2000 PC about 5 years ago but never could? It looks like it may be. If so, my PC should be up to specs now. :)

But seriously...

Have you spoken to Brian Youse over at MMP to see what electronic publishing rights they have? You know that MMP is *finally* working on an eASLRB so some leniency to electronic publishing has been given to MMP from Hasborg. I would talk to him about rebranding your game as well if he says there's no way an ASL-PC game would ever get published. Ask him his thoughts on if MMP or Hasbro would pursue any legal action if you had an ASL like clone PC game that wasn't called ASL. If there's a risk there, it may or may not be worth the reward to you.

If you do decide to open source the game, there's a lot of talented C++ programmers that also play ASL or wargames. Imagine if a whole community got to work on this project akin to what VASSAL has become? Those multiplayer capabilities might get added, pbem tools, scenario set ups, additional rules. Lots of work that may otherwise never get put into this project of yours that you've obviously poured hours upon hours of programming time into.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
wodin

Post by wodin »

GJK..Paradox have the rights for a computer Squad leader...have held them now for a few years and done nothing with it.

I think ATS could be worth ago for a wargame developer to speak too.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

The problem is I can't publish it since there is no way to get a license.

Just call it Advanced Platoon Leader or Improved Squad Leader.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

The problem is I can't publish it since there is no way to get a license.

Just call it Advanced Platoon Leader or Improved Squad Leader.

According to copyright law you can't even do that. If it Looks, resembles, has simuliarites that are easily decerned then it is breaking the copyright laws. I've sat on too many juries for copyright infringement and pretty much know the straw that will break the camels back. Did you know the song "happy birthday" is copyrighted? Most people don't an infringe on that one quite often.
igor7111

Post by igor7111 »

Have you spoken to Paradox about this? They have the publishing rights which they've done nothing with.
They quite possibly would be interested in setting you up to develop this for them, with the requisite
compensation.

Return to “General Discussion”