OT: Dixie's BBMF stuff

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dixie

OT: Dixie's BBMF stuff

Post by Dixie »

I took a trip to Hendon with work yesterday. Loads of lovely aeroplanes to geek at! Some of them are relevant to this forum, others not so much.

To start with, the famous S-Sugar (or Q-Queenie in her early days). The second highest 'scoring' Lancaster in terms of missions and the highest scoring survivor. For a while it was believed she was the top scorer which is why she was saved.
It's an impressive scoreboard, but it's not the original. When she came up to 100 ops the RAF decided to get some propaganda from her and invited the press. But she had a rather 'free spirited' lady on the nose and it was apparently deemed inappropriate for the national consumption at the time.

Attachments
Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg (334.04 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

RE: OT: Planes, Planes and More Planes

Post by Dixie »

Black 6, the Bf109. One of the guys I work with was involved in restoring her to flying condition. Unfortunately she only few a few times until a heavy landing put a second stop to her aerial days. [:(]

Attachments
Pic2.jpg
Pic2.jpg (353.27 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

And from the other side. Although she looks in decent nick, because the pilot refused to be cut from the aircraft, we were told the internal damage is quite severe.

Attachments
Pic3.jpg
Pic3.jpg (343.09 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Another view of S-Sugar. She looks a bit odd sat up like that, but who am I to argue with the experts.

Attachments
Pic4.jpg
Pic4.jpg (370.65 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

A Gloster Gladiator. Sort of. This is the remains of an aircraft retrieved (iirc) from a Norwegian lake. It's certainly a different way of displaying an aircraft rather than restoring her.

Attachments
Pic5.jpg
Pic5.jpg (358.95 KiB) Viewed 868 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Beaufighter X.

It's surprising just how big she is, the 'fighter' part of the name is a bit misleading in this respect! She's a big kite and it's a shame that there aren't any flying about. Not as glamorous as the Spitfire or as famous as the Mosquito the Beaufighter was the first designed for the task nightfighter and was also used for a variety of other roles (as we're all no doubt aware). I wonder why the USAAF didn't take some on for the South Pacific NF squadrons as they did in the Med?

Attachments
Pic6.jpg
Pic6.jpg (398.69 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Lockheed Hudson.

One that's relevant to the forum! [:D] I guess she did OK for a converted airliner, another one that rarely gets any limelight.

Attachments
Pic9.jpg
Pic9.jpg (358.67 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Thunderbolt MkII

In SEAC colours, so relevant again! The MkI and MkII Thunderbolts both came under the US P-47D designation, depending on the canopy type. RAF mark numbers did not always correspond directly to US designations, a case which is probably most evident in the P-47 and B-24.

The P-47 got different mark numbers for the same US 'type' whereas various US Liberator designations were grouped into single mark numbers in RAF service.

Attachments
Pic7.jpg
Pic7.jpg (350.37 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The stuff foreign museums have... The bulk of aircraft in American museums are, of course, American. I've seen a few Me-109 close up, but I don't believe any museum in the US has a Lanc. Where do you work where you get to go to air museums on outings? I worked down the block from the Museum of Flight in Seattle for a rather large aerospace company and they never took us to any museums.

The Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA has an unrestored Betty displayed in a crash scene. Aircraft that haven't been restored yet, or are unable to be restored are sometimes displayed in their "as found" state. I believe there is a wrecked Ju-88 on display in a museum in Germany.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Those who know me will know what this is about [:)]

Attachments
Pic8.jpg
Pic8.jpg (250.26 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Mystery aircraft! First person to guess wins the kudos of your fellow forumites! Is this a good thing? Only you can decide...

Attachments
Pic10.jpg
Pic10.jpg (430.02 KiB) Viewed 868 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

...cool pics! thanks!
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Liberator MkVI

One of those afore-mentioned Libs. This is (iirc) a B-24M built by Ford, the guide mentioned that she's got the Ford Oval on the control columns. This one came to the museum via India, after the end of the war the Brits didn't want to pay for her (and many others) and the Americans didn't want her back. So the RAF gather a load of surplus Libs at an MU and drove bulldozers into them, thus making them scrap. When we left India, the IAF managed to piece together several Liberators from parts of multiple aeroplanes.

Attachments
Pic11.jpg
Pic11.jpg (312.31 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Mystery aircraft! First person to guess wins the kudos of your fellow forumites! Is this a good thing? Only you can decide...

As a WAG, I'd say Sunderland, but I don't think that's right. It does look like a 4 engine beast.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Halifax.

The only 'authentic' and orginal Halifax anywhere in the world. She was lost on her first sortie an a raid against the Tirpitz. With her starboard tank burning she was put down on a frozen lake, her crew escaped with just a broken ankle between them (the Eng) and were retrieved by the Norwegian resistance. The burning fuel melted the ice and the plane sank the the lake bed where she remained until the 70s. When they raised her the burnt wing snapped, which was part of the reason for keeping her as is rather than restoring her (actually a total rebuild).

The crew were quite quickly moved on to neutral Sweden, except the Eng who realised his broken ankle would slow the rest of the group. After a few weeks he came to the conclusion that staying with the resistance would put too many Norwegian lives at risk so he handed himself in to the Germans.

Attachments
Pic12.jpg
Pic12.jpg (398.7 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Ju88

This is an interesting one. During the war the boffins wanted to get hold of a functioning Lichtenstein radar, so the secret service put feelers out. They ended up contacting a German pilot based in Denmark who agreed to defect.

He set off for a flight to Norway and refueled there, then he set off for home but instead sent out a distress signal and dumped a dinghy and other odds and ends overboard before heading to Dyce in Scotland. The only problem was that the pilot and nav were happy to defect but the w/op didn't like the idea so he had to be knocked out and restrained!

Attachments
Pic15.jpg
Pic15.jpg (345.23 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

One from today. Can you tell what it is?

Attachments
Pic19.jpg
Pic19.jpg (175.73 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

It's PZ865! Sister of LF363 and the last Hurricane ever built.

Attachments
Pic20.jpg
Pic20.jpg (222.82 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

She's in the colours of SEAC, a Canadian pilot Flt Lt 'Jimmy' Whalen DFC who was killed during the battles of Imphal and Kohima. Shame she's not got the fishtail exhausts (yet) or Vokes filter.

Attachments
Pic21.jpg
Pic21.jpg (271.17 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

And finally, Jimmy's personal insignia. The original panel was removed from his aircraft by his fitter and kept for several years (Jimmy's aircraft was u/s on the day he died). Eventually the panel was passed onto Jimmy Whalen's family, rumour has it that BBMF will be getting the original on loan.

Attachments
Pic22.jpg
Pic22.jpg (288.63 KiB) Viewed 867 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”