Game crashes

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: doomtrader

garydj

Game crashes

Post by garydj »

Hi

I recently purchased Time of Fury and a few days ago I installed the v1.04 update. Ever since installing the v1.04 update (I was previously running v1.02), Time of Fury crashes when I attempt to load a saved game. Grateful for any suggestions for how to fix this.

Cheers

Gary
gwgardner

RE: Game crashes

Post by gwgardner »

An old save, from prior to 1.4, may be the problem. Otherwise, just retry loading.

I haven't seen the crashes with the latest patch, however did before on loading. I would usually resolve the problem by choosing a different startup method before loading, eg custom game as opposed to quick game, or vice versa. It worked for me.

shermanwar

Post by shermanwar »

Hi,
I am no expert but I have been down this road for MONTHS. I have gotten help here and from Matrix itself. Everyone was very helpful and tried to resolve the issue. But in the end, The bottom line: 1.04 does not work on my computer (and yes its a high powered Quad i7 processor machine etc). Maybe it just will not work on yours either 1.02 worked before the the 1.02/1.04 updates. I finally got rid of 1.04 and went back to 1.02 and FINALLY am playing again. So try going back to the version of 1.02 you got from Matrix.

Just my experience
Sherman
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

1.02 is so passe. Go with 1.04, and try what I suggested.

shermanwar

Post by shermanwar »

1.04 is so broken. if it doesnt work, then sticking with it is kinda pointless. Doom had suggested your suggestion to me months ago. It wasnt the answer for me. If it works for Gary great but if not....then old school 1.02 is better then no game at all.

Respectfully,
Sherman
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: shermanwar
1.04 is so broken. if it doesnt work, then sticking with it is kinda pointless. Doom had suggested your suggestion to me months ago. It wasnt the answer for me. If it works for Gary great but if not....then old school 1.02 is better then no game at all.

Respectfully,
Sherman

The game has worked quite well for me in all versions, I don't know why, but I have mostly started games in 'Custom Game', rather than 'Quick Start', which seemed to help. I did start getting a series of CTDs with the latest updates, which stopped happening when I began using the 'TimeOfFury' application in the game folder, rather than the Matrix intro box 'Play' option, don't know if this will help your problem.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
garydj

Post by garydj »

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried loading from the Custom Game button rather than the Quick Start button. This worked for a while, but then it started crashing no matter which button I used. I tried starting the game from the application file in the Time of Fury folder; it still crashed. I unistalled and reinstalled the game twice, including deleting all old save folders; this worked for a while. I tried restarting the computer after a crash. This worked a couple of times.

My only option left is to reinstall the game with v1.02. I agree with Sherman that this version is better than no game at all. That said, from what I've seen of the game so far, v1.04 does some improve some of the functions in the game (eg convoys and enemy air attacks). Naval combat is still dull and indecisive, which is a discussion for another thread.

How do I obtain the v1.02 patch? Going through Matrix automatically gives v1.04.

Cheers

Gary
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: garydj63
Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried loading from the Custom Game button rather than the Quick Start button. This worked for a while, but then it started crashing no matter which button I used. I tried starting the game from the application file in the Time of Fury folder; it still crashed. I unistalled and reinstalled the game twice, including deleting all old save folders; this worked for a while. I tried restarting the computer after a crash. This worked a couple of times.

My only option left is to reinstall the game with v1.02. I agree with Sherman that this version is better than no game at all. That said, from what I've seen of the game so far, v1.04 does some improve some of the functions in the game (eg convoys and enemy air attacks). Naval combat is still dull and indecisive, which is a discussion for another thread.
How do I obtain the v1.02 patch? Going through Matrix automatically gives v1.04.

Cheers

Gary

Strange that the game should work, then later start crashing, does that happen with any particular scenario, or are they all like that ?

The older updates are available in the Matrix 'Products' section, find TOF and the links to the downloads are at the bottom of the page. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I've always suspected the loading of the unit images is a possible problem. If you want to take the time to do the test, go to your data/gfx/units images folder and remove all those png files to a temp folder.

Then try loading your game.

garydj

Post by garydj »

Hi

I tried removing the [UnitsSkin] folders from the data/gfx folder. My saved games still wouldn't load. 8-(

Cheers

Gary
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Hi
I tried removing the [UnitsSkin] folders from the data/gfx folder. My saved games still wouldn't load. 8-(
Cheers

Gary

I see that you are trying to load saved games, I don't know if this will help, but this is what is happening for me.

I have been keeping a favourite saved game going through all versions of the game, since ver 1.0. Sometimes these old saved games fail to load in newer updated versions and this happened when I tried to start the old saved game in 1.04 beta.

I can get it to run if I first start a new game (normally select the same scenario as the saved game, but don't know if that makes any difference), after the new game has opened, select 'Exit to Main Menu' (or 'Back' from the 'Countries' menu screen) and then load the saved game, which will then usually run.

Maybe by starting a new game I am getting some of the background data loaded, which makes it easier to continue into a saved game afterwards, if I try and load the saved game first I get CTD, hope this helps. [:)]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Hi

Cheers

Gary

Funny, I didn't say the unitsskin folders. It was only the units images png files. Don't remove any folders.

garydj

Post by garydj »

Hi

I wasn't sure what you wanted me to delete. Anyway, I tried just removing all the png files and I still couldn't load a saved game

I also tried a while ago starting a new game and then loading an old game. Didn't work either.

I'm going to admit defeat and go back to v1.02. This problem only appeared when I installed the v1.04 update.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers

Gary
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

If you want to try something else with 1.04, attached is my saved game. Try to load it.

Goes in your documents/mygames/Time of Fury/saves folder - I may have spelled that wrong, but look around there for the saves folder. Then attempt to load 'my saved game'
Attachments
MySavedGame.zip
(463.13 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

This should be an easy fix.

Go to your old saved game. Open up info file, scroll down until you see version. Type in the version of the game you have.

A 1.02 saved game will say 1.02, change it to 1.04 if that's the version you have.
jimgmccarthy

Post by jimgmccarthy »

I have a variation of the crash-on-load problem in this thread. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes not. Same save file. Sometimes I try to load a saved game and it crashes, then I try a different one that loads, then the first one will load and run ok. But sometimes it doesn't ever load and I have to replay a turn or 2. As others have said, nothing like this ever happened before 1.04 ...
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: jimgmccarthy
I have a variation of the crash-on-load problem in this thread. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes not. Same save file. Sometimes I try to load a saved game and it crashes, then I try a different one that loads, then the first one will load and run ok. But sometimes it doesn't ever load and I have to replay a turn or 2. As others have said, nothing like this ever happened before 1.04 ...

I have been doing some modification to files and needed to run the game in 1.04 beta to check the visuals, I did dozens of starts over the day and had several CTDs on load (usually at the 80% load point), but the same game save always started at the second attempt, even when nothing had changed, the game would fail, then work.

Return to “Tech Support”