Requirements for a Sub Base

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

btd64

Requirements for a Sub Base

Post by btd64 »

This thread is based on info I have both read in this forum and in the original owners manuel for WITP AE. I prefer playing the Allies, but the info I gathered should be useful for the IJN player as well. The intent is to provide info that new players and others may find useful when it comes to setting up a sub base. Any helpful additions are always welcome. Well, here it goes;

REARMING:

1. The most effective sub base would be a Level 7 or greater port with the following ship types recommended, AD, AS, AE, and AKE. Or some combination of these ships. These same ships will be useful also for very minor repairs.

2. At a level 6 or smaller port, along with the above mentioned ships, you will also need from 24 to 51 naval support squads. I simplify this by using a USN naval support baseforce which has 100 naval support squads attached when at full strength.

REPAIR:

1. A port of level 7 or greater can repair major engine or floatation damage of 5 or less. Add a ARD to this port and you can repair major floatation damage of any level. If there is a ship repair yard that handles around 1500 tons or more any level or type of damage can be repaired. Adding naval support squads can help speed up the repair work.

2. A port of level 6 or smaller will be able to repair damage only if there are ship types AD, AR, AS, and/or ARD at the port. Again, I recommend Naval Support Squads to be at the base as well, The AR will repair major engine or floatation damage of 5 or less. The ARD will repair any level of floatation damage.

These are the basics I follow to keep my sub forces moving and so far it seems to work. If you like this info and find it helpful, let me know. If you have suggestions, let me know. If there are any spelling errors, oh well.[;)]

To all CHEERS and

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Justus2

RE: Requirements for a Sub Base

Post by Justus2 »

Do you need an AS and/or AE/AKE if you are at a level 7+ port? My understanding is these ships allow you to re-arm and repair if the port isnt large enough to do it on it's own, but if it is already a Port7, then I don't think you need them. I try to use my AS to set up a forward sub base at a port size 3-5, figuring my level 7+ ports can rearm subs without the tenders. But maybe they help out there too?

As for the ARD requirements, I am currently using DaBabes Lite, and there are several ARDs size 3 that the Allies start with, like 3 in Java, that I try to evac to Australian ports, as they are just the right size for subs.

Also, I don't believe AD provide any support to subs, although I do tend to locate them at the same ports as the AS, just because they can support DDs operating in the same areas, and the DDs can also use the AR or ARD if available there.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

An AS + AR will take care of all but major float damage at a Lvl 0 Port. AS can do all rearm for SS, nothing else needed.
Pax
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Patton,
You're a bit off on what's really "required" for a sub base. Justus has the right idea. In terms of requirements, you only need a small port with an AS and some fuel. Ideally, you want your sub bases to be as close to your target areas as possible to allow for minimum transit times when refueling/rearming and maximum time for your subs on station, while at the same time not being so far forward that they are overly vulnerable to attack. This more or less precludes using level 7 or better ports all the time. Picking locations that fit this description should be your main concern when deciding on sub bases. Not port size, not repair yards, not the presence of lots of other tenders you may or may not need, etc. If you have damaged subs (and everyone does at some point), then evaluate each one individually and decide where best to send it for repairs - this does not have to be done at the same base you use to operate your undamaged subs from.
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

Port requirements wise, subs are low-maintenance assets. For anything other than repairing major damage, an adequately stocked AS anchored at a tiny port with fuel is all you basically need.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I hear you. I tried over the past day to get a smaller island base to work and again it didnt work. Then i found out what I was doing wrong[&:]. WHen i loaded my AS ships sent then foward, I forgot to set the ship to Do Not Unload. So the ship unloaded at the new base and it didnt rearm the sub. Well live alittle, Learn alot. [:)]. I do still like using a larger forward base with all the trimmings though. So i dont have to send a badly damaged ship to the rear. Thanks everyone for the info. You all made me that much better at this game which requires alot of time, If you have it. I will soon be looking to try PBEM. just what to play another game or to, to learn alittle more.
Cheers

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

topeverest

Post by topeverest »

I find that against a skilled opponent, most subs come home damaged before they are empty. the forward sub base theory works well if an ARD is available. otherwise I look for a level 7 port closest to the patrol zone. That can take care of 5 points major damage, which is quite likely.

The key in sub opps is to have a strategy, keep records, and adjust as success varies
Andy M
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: topeverest
I find that against a skilled opponent, most subs come home damaged before they are empty. the forward sub base theory works well if an ARD is available. otherwise I look for a level 7 port closest to the patrol zone. That can take care of 5 points major damage, which is quite likely.

The key in sub opps is to have a strategy, keep records, and adjust as success varies
i generally remember (say, 2 out of 3 turns) to look at the Ships display (hotkey S) at the beginning of my Orders phase. I sort the list for highest flotation damage, & examine any TF that shows bad hurt. they get set to Cruise, patrol-zone canceled, and sent to disband in a base whose facilities are equal to the needed repairs (some might be better off going to an intermediate base to repair sys damage, before moving on).

another useful thing, look at the Task Force screen (hotkey T), filter for Sub Ops, & sort by Torp. any SS w/ 33% or less torps is best sent back to base for refuel/rearm.

3rd, grab every upgrade you can. subs can upgrade at any (supplied) friendly port, shipyards aren't needed. ya can't do anything about the torp-abilities but wait 'til 9/43, meanwhile they need the radar, the AA, & something a bit more fearsome than a 3" deck gun!
btd64

Post by btd64 »

jmalter, good info. Thanks[:)][:)][:)]
Cheers

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

jmalter

Post by jmalter »

you're welcome, General.

another thing is, when you look at your damaged ships, examine their captains for Naval skill. If you must stop at an intermediate base for sys-damage repair, buying a 60+ Nav captain will speed the ship's self-repair efforts, & will make a difference on the long journey home. This is prob'ly the only instance where I'll consider spending PP for a cargo-ship captain.

I've got an APA that was badly munged at Saipan, disbanded her into Rota & bought a captain, once the fires went out it still took ~50 days to knock the sys-damage down to 0. At 1/0 speed (cripple), w/ 78 major flood & 9 major engine, she's 16 days out of Rota w/ 49 days to go before she reaches Brisbane. But no add'l damage so far, & I think LCDR Reed, W. has the moxie to bring her to port.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

jmalter, that is a good point also. I know the captians improve with experience, but sometimes i do change out the captains anyway. for different reasons though. I one game i had, I took a base just north or Rabaul and built it up, put 2 ARD's, 2 AS's and 2 AR's they and it work great when i had ships with major damage limping away from the battle area. That base was very close and it worked well.
Cheers

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Return to “The War Room”