OT - NKorea Situations

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

OT - NKorea Situations

Post by Rising-Sun »

Things are getting weird and confusing at this point, just curious what you guys thing is going to happen in the next couple of weeks? Some say its miscalulations and others say it is just plain bullsh*t like most South Koreans been saying for years. As for now we probably dont have to worry about them hitting us in the USA, but we do have bases within range of their missiles.

I didnt think that little guy would be so dumb enough to bring this threats and what in the hell is Dennis Rodman is up to? If this little guy does care and like basketball and enjoy having Rodman, what the point starting this sh*t in the first place.

Other Communist States, such as China and Russia are trying to resolved the situations, but we dont really see the clear picture here what the hell is going on at this moment. All we can do is place those military hardwares in positions incase all hell break loose, the question is, if they (NK) fire first, does that mean we can counterattack or defend our bases and Allies from it?
Chickenboy

RE: NKorea Situations

Post by Chickenboy »

Before I reply, would you mind adding "OT" to your subject line, please. Thanks.
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

I don't think that the NK generals want to be hanged by the americans...but I could be wrong
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

This really should be moved to a General Discussion forum, but let me try to address the military and legal questions, and avoid politics, which is banned. Legally speaking, the Korean War never ended. An armistice was signed, which was meant to be a permanent cease-fire, but not a resolution of the conflict. That armistice has been broken by both word and deed on several occasions. Therefore, all three parties (North Korea, South Korea, and the U.S.) are legally entitled to resume hostilities at will.

However, although North Korea's army outnumbers the South Korean army and the remarkably small 27,000 American troop contingent, its equipment is mostly obsolete. In the event of all-out war, the Northern troops would advance at first, then be routed, and North Korea would end up conquered. But in the meantime, Seoul would be reduced to ruins by long-range artillery, and then likely overrun, to be recaptured a few days later. This would cause the deaths of around one million people and tank the Asian economies, and then the world economy.

In other words, even though it is technically permissible, everyone wants to avoid all-out war. What the North Koreans appear to be doing is practicing asymmetrical warfare, making moves that cannot be responded to without the escalation that would lead to disaster.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Deleted.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

This really should be moved to a General Discussion forum, but let me try to address the military and legal questions, and avoid politics, which is banned. Legally speaking, the Korean War never ended. An armistice was signed, which was meant to be a permanent cease-fire, but not a resolution of the conflict. That armistice has been broken by both word and deed on several occasions. Therefore, all three parties (North Korea, South Korea, and the U.S.) are legally entitled to resume hostilities at will.

However, although North Korea's army outnumbers the South Korean army and the remarkably small 27,000 American troop contingent, its equipment is mostly obsolete. In the event of all-out war, the Northern troops would advance at first, then be routed, and North Korea would end up conquered. But in the meantime, Seoul would be reduced to ruins by long-range artillery, and then likely overrun, to be recaptured a few days later. This would cause the deaths of around one million people and tank the Asian economies, and then the world economy.

In other words, even though it is technically permissible, everyone wants to avoid all-out war. What the North Koreans appear to be doing is practicing asymmetrical warfare, making moves that cannot be responded to without the escalation that would lead to disaster.

Deleted
Symon

Post by Symon »

Personnaly, "face" is something that can be slapped. I think we should. They are pathetic little pieces of owl feces and need to be brought up short. Don't think China will mind much, because North Korea is a loose cannon that needs to be brought under control. If a Western Power guts the little swine, China will huff and puff, but be realistically thankful. So long as whacking-the-mole doesn't advance the boundaries: them as you as know, know just what I'm saying.

JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well sorry i posted this in the wrong place, i usually hang out in here mostly. After what i read and heard that NKorea having over 700,000 soldiers, 60,000 special forces and thousands of artillery pieces. No telling if they have nuclear abilities or WMDs or not. If they wanted to, they can wipe out and overrun the South pretty easy. Wish this game forum had off topic sections so i wouldnt have to hunt elsewhere.

One more thing, they (NK) are willing to give their lives to their country, they'er mostly all family and been like that for many generations. That remind me of Japanese in WWII as Kamikaze Attacks as well.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

My guess is nothing will happen...as usual.

I would agree with John, however the moral factor of all of the innocent civilians that happen to be in the area...
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Symon

Personnaly, "face" is something that can be slapped. I think we should. They are pathetic little pieces of owl feces and need to be brought up short. Don't think China will mind much, because North Korea is a loose cannon that needs to be brought under control. If a Western Power guts the little swine, China will huff and puff, but be realistically thankful. So long as whacking-the-mole doesn't advance the boundaries: them as you as know, know just what I'm saying.

JWE

Deleted
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Nations do not have friends, they have interests.

And I think all in that region have vested interest to keep NK in bay.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

My view of the political situation in NK is there's a 2 year old brat throwing a tantrum (NK) & the parents (China/US) are discussing (what are we going to give China for them dealing w/ NK) what to do w/ that child. This is the norm in how we deal w/ NK. NK throws all kinds of rhetoric out & we make some kind of deal w/ China for them to quiet NK down then NK then gets something from China, about it's only trading partner.
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Consider it this way John. China lost nearly a million men in the Korean war. While North Korea is ruled by asswipes, it is ruled by THEIR asswipes. I wouldn't count on their non- interferance , if only because they have invested so much in lives and treasure. Imagine if the Phillipines went the way of Kim, would the USA be so quick to abandon them? Or would we keep trying to chivy them back into place , while telling other countries "Back-off"? [&:]
I suppose, Steve. I do believe in the investment of life and treasure. That's what makes NK such an utter horror show. Wouldn't mind talking with you about the philosophy of violence, but in the meantime, I'm looking at NK being a field of radioactive glass; but that's just me.

Ciao. John
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
AndyG1

Post by AndyG1 »

The news we are getting here in Australia confirms the rhetoric etc, but also the threat of nuclear missiles - they have the capability apparently. This latest escalation has been going on for a while now, but just heard now the N. Koreans have advised Foreign Embassies in S.Korea that they can't guarantee their safety and that they should leave. Also that they are moving some of their big missiles to their East Coast. Apparently they can't reach the US mainland, but they can reach everywhere else in 'Asia' (including Australia) as well as Hawaii. Trouble is, all it takes is one wrong decision or bluff (on either side) for it to go too far.
packerpete

Post by packerpete »

Having ballistic missiles that just MIGHT fly a long way does not mean it will hit anywhere near the intended target.

Having a nuclear DEVICE does not mean you have a nuclear or atomic weapon. A DEVICE does not a practical or deliverable WEAPON make.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I haven't heard anything that tells me the NK's have bombs small enough to fit on their missiles.

As for China, yes they expended a million people in Korea, but that was 60 years ago. The current Chinese leadership is busy raking in the cash; they have little reason to go to war for the prolapsed sphincter that is North Korea.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

...according to rodman, all the little dictator wants is a call from the white house...[8D]
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

To be honest I think NK does not display anything greatly diverging from what they have been trying (successfully I might add)
for decades already.

They up the tension until it gets close to unbearable, mix threats with display of wounded pride and comndemnations of western acts of
aggression, and then return to the bargaining table, agreeing to slowly step down again in exchange for foreign aid. Kim Jong Un might even
be a bit more excentric than his father, but he learned the ropes under his leadership, and bargaining for foreign aid with nuclear weapons
was what his father did all the time. It works on two ways: keeping the Population from starving completely, and at the same time justifying
the nuclear arsenal.

Regarding China, I do not think one could simply say they want NK getting taught a lesson, or want to get rid of them as an ally.
The DPRK is a buffer zone against US troops, and it is a great buffer zone. Noone gets through there. The Chinese might be annoyed with NKs way
of dealing with foreign politics, but I do not think China believes this outweights the benefits. Losing NK, and China got US troops and a western
oriented ROK in their backyard. I think they still prefer crazy Kim.
Will_L_OLD

Post by Will_L_OLD »

I think that China will eventually foment a coup and replace the NK government. They can't be happy that a large number of pro-Chinese officers were purged from the NK military shortly after Kim Jong Un came into power. The military units that were activated by China on their border with NK most likely will be used to prevent a massive influx of refugees fleeing from NK in the event of a conflict. China inflicted Kim Il Song and his spawn on Korea and they should be the ones to remove them from it.
wdolson

OT - RE: NKorea Situations

Post by wdolson »

I changed the topic of the original post to OT, but the rest weren't changed.

There seem to be a very wide range of opinions about North Korea ranging from "nothing will happen" to "we're n the brink of Korean War II".

Many years ago I had a conversation with a ballistic telemetry expert. His expertise was how to make missiles and space craft go where they are supposed to. He said the US, and other countries that have been working on missiles for decades have a tremendous body of institutional knowledge about guiding missiles built up. There is a fair degree of art to the science. It isn't something someone can just learn by reading a few books.

In that light, North Korea is still new at the art of guiding missiles. They have designed some large missiles that could conceivably reach as far as the west coast of the US (not something I'm thrilled about since I live just outside of a west coast city!), but they have very little experience with guidance systems. I have heard their last missile test was aimed at Alaska, but ended up falling into the middle of the Pacific. Probably Marcus Island was the nearest land mass.

Then there is the other problem of how to mount a nuke on a missile so it goes off when you want it to. That is another art that North Korea has no experience with.

North Korea did put a payload into an unstable orbit on one of their launches. I have heard the concern that they might want to put a nuke in orbit and set it off over the US causing an EMP. I think this is a worst case scenario, but I don't think they have good enough quality control to pull it off.

I don't know what is going to happen. In one sense people are much the same all over the world, but in another cultures can make people very different. North Korea is the most isolated country on Earth. Their culture is very different from every other country. We also don't know what their leadership thinks is sabre rattling and what they think is possible.

We will see what happens in the coming weeks.

BTW, the first post in this thread referred to the "communist countries". There are very few of them left and Russia is no longer communist. Their form of democracy is probably not as solid as say Western European countries, but it is technically a democracy.

Just stay away from potential forum flashpoint issues like opinions about US politicians and I think this thread can stay active.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”