Passive race question

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

DPimentel

Passive race question

Post by DPimentel »

If I have a race that is quite passive, is there any disadvantage to still becoming a warmonger?

My situation: When I drew a passive race, I figured I would be in for peaceful game. It's been more than that because in a galaxy with nine other races, everyone is either friendly or pleased with me. I'm pretty much off to myself on the map and I was just slowly expanding. I checked the diplomacy screen and I have a decidely huge military advantage over all the other races. But one of the races decided to colonize near my territory and I wasn't thrilled about them ruining my expansion plans. I decided to send a fleet and and some troops into the system, I declared war, easily took the planet and asked for and received peace from the other race right away. My reputation never took a hit and a few minutes later, that same race gave me some money as a gift.

But now they've decided to do the same thing and take over another planet near me. So I'm thinking I may need to go in and wipe them out because they're getting to be a pest to me.

Which is why I'm wondering, what will happen if I turn my passive race into some war machine?
jpwrunyan

RE: Passive race question

Post by jpwrunyan »

Everything I am about to say is anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt.
When I have played "passive" races, I have experienced nasty events like "Fleet Defects to Ancient Guardians" and "Colonies Rebel" into a new empire (iirc).
One game when I played the Zenox I did a lot of reloading to see if I could figure out why the event was happening. All I can say is that it would always eventually occur in one nasty form or another. It might also have been part of the Return of the Shakturi storyline. So if you play a race like the Zenox as conquerors, the game punishes you for playing out-of-character.

At any rate, I encourage you to go full throttle war machine. See if you get some unusual (and horrible) events as a result and report back.
JCVocke

Post by JCVocke »

The Defections only happen when your Reputation is low, to my understanding.
The only time it ever happened to me was after I had Blitzkrieged around 3-4 planets of another species.
Apparently the fact this species had opened this war the way they had opened the past 3; Bombing four of my planets into dust, while also being at war with half of the other species in the Galaxy, wasn't enough to put their reputation below Neutral but me taking 4 planets and treating the residents with kindness was enough to make me Diabolical.

I opened the editor and shifted my reputation up to Admired, because that's Bullshit.
KAHUNA

Post by KAHUNA »

ORIGINAL: JCVocke

The Defections only happen when your Reputation is low, to my understanding.
The only time it ever happened to me was after I had Blitzkrieged around 3-4 planets of another species.
Apparently the fact this species had opened this war the way they had opened the past 3; Bombing four of my planets into dust, while also being at war with half of the other species in the Galaxy, wasn't enough to put their reputation below Neutral but me taking 4 planets and treating the residents with kindness was enough to make me Diabolical.

I opened the editor and shifted my reputation up to Admired, because that's Bullshit.

Excellent solution!! I heartily agree![&o]
ceyan

Post by ceyan »

ORIGINAL: TheDROCK

If I have a race that is quite passive, is there any disadvantage to still becoming a warmonger?

My situation: When I drew a passive race, I figured I would be in for peaceful game. It's been more than that because in a galaxy with nine other races, everyone is either friendly or pleased with me. I'm pretty much off to myself on the map and I was just slowly expanding. I checked the diplomacy screen and I have a decidely huge military advantage over all the other races. But one of the races decided to colonize near my territory and I wasn't thrilled about them ruining my expansion plans. I decided to send a fleet and and some troops into the system, I declared war, easily took the planet and asked for and received peace from the other race right away. My reputation never took a hit and a few minutes later, that same race gave me some money as a gift.

But now they've decided to do the same thing and take over another planet near me. So I'm thinking I may need to go in and wipe them out because they're getting to be a pest to me.

Which is why I'm wondering, what will happen if I turn my passive race into some war machine?

The only time a particular diplomatic stance matters is if you're going for a Racial victory condition, such as start the least amount of wars or spend the least amount of time in war.

Edit:
It's really difficult to ruin your reputation as long as you don't bombard planets.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I believe high reputation is also easily cured by various "accidental" base attacks and colony invasions with no preceding war declaration.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”