Why all of a sudden no buildable designs?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Galandar

Why all of a sudden no buildable designs?

Post by Galandar »

So I'm playing along as a human, happy as a clam, 800,000+ credits, lots of colonies, respectable reputation, and plenty of allies. So I want to upgrade my fleets not based at a planet by adding an extra cruiser. I open the construction screen and it tells me I don't have any buildable designs for cruisers. All of my fleets already have cruisers. Why all of a sudden would I not have any buildable designs? [:(] And here I was doing so well. Anyone else ever have this happen?
ceyan

RE: Why all of a sudden no buildable designs?

Post by ceyan »

If you research a new technology with a critical component to a design (sensors, damage control, etc...) that you didn't have previously then the AI will design a new version of the appropriate hulls with that new component without adjusting for size restrictions.
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

Can you tell i'm bored.....[:D]

Did you just finish research on a technology , when added to a the cruiser design put you over the hull limit size you have for cruisers. reactors

follow along
1. select design screen and set drop down to all designs
2. find the cruiser design.
3. note the size of the current design.
4. double click on the cruiser to display its internal specifications.
5. notice the warning showing that the design is too big for the hull.
6. close the window and bring up the design window again (1).
7. manually build a new design
8. remove components until the hull size warning disappears and then save the design.

special note
make sure that the design is not marked obsolete. (design panel far right column Obs will show a * symbol if obsolete. If it is just highlight the ship in step 2 and click on the Obs column to remove the * to make the design active.

Attachments
helper.jpg
helper.jpg (340.29 KiB) Viewed 116 times
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
Galandar

Post by Galandar »

Wow! Thanks. I knew this game had an almost unlimited amount of variables, and that's why I enjoy it. Not sure what I did. I am fairly new to this game, although not new to the genre. I didn't want to start messing around with designs, so I left that automated; however, I didn't think about the implications of research and that I could research myself out of a hull size. I really didn't want to scrap that game, so I jumped back to my previous auto-backup and my cruisers were still there. Dang! I bet I know what I did. I didn't diddle with research too much, but I DID do a lot of tech trading with some allies. Bet that's what bit me. I'm assuming that if I just wanted to play my way out of it, I could have done so by researching larger hull sizes?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The AI designs would start fitting again if you got larger hull sizes researched.

At least in the past, it has quite often been the case that you can build a cruiser at the very start, before they become unavailable for quite a long time as you start researching more (and somewhat larger) components. That is if you use the AI designer, of course. If it is just trivial amounts too large, it should be simple enough to drop some armor, a gun, or a shield (or all). Whenever new tech becomes available, the AI will create a new (default) design, and you may have to do the same again.
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Hey pipewrench!

Any plans of making a tutorial series like that? That thing looks pretty neat!![&o]
et ignobiles oblivio
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Good job, pipewrench!
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Hey pipewrench!

Any plans of making a tutorial series like that? That thing looks pretty neat!![&o]

I think Pipewrench plans to have everyone over to his house for Distant Worlds training sessions [:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”