OT: Tanks, er, Thanks

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Blackhorse

OT: Tanks, er, Thanks

Post by Blackhorse »

Thanks to the OP who first showed a link to the Japanese anime Girls und Panzer. I ended up watching all 12 episodes (the season finale came out just last week). For WWII tank afficionados the show is well-worth watching, for the meticulous detail and loving care the animators put into portraying the qualities and foibles of dozens of different tanks. A quick search will find several sites that stream the episodes with english or german subtitles, for free.

The series features good music; two cheerful J-Pop theme songs, and several historic Panzer/military marches including the German Panzerlied, the Russian Katyusha, the English Grenadier Guards, and the US Battle Hymn of the Republic and the Army (Caissons) Goes Rolling Along.

The plot is wholesome, light-hearted, and pleasantly ridiculous, as high-school girls study the ::ahem:: traditional female martial art of Sensha-do, variously translated as "Panzerfahren," "Panzerkraft," or "Tankery". In addition to fabulously rendered battle scenes, there are great lines, such as:

"They say it is perfect training for women."
"Well, it is true that I've never heard of men doing tankery."
"Guys and tanks seem kinda mismatched to me."

"If we fire enough times we are bound to hit them!"
"It's like that in love, as well."
"No. One shot. One hit."

"I've never felt that I wanted a rotating turret more than I do now." (StuGIII commander)

"Push it back with your willpower!"
"Great idea, but not very plausible."

". . . because that's 'tankery'. This isn't war. The tanks would be sad if we forgot that."

"Get your light tank off (of here)."
(Offended tank commander): "The Type 89 is not a light tank. It is a heavy tank."

and my personal favorite . . .
(M3 Lee Tank Commander)"It's time to put into action the plan we spent all night devising, a plan we call --"
(entire crew of 6 freshmen girls): "Operation Kellys Heroes!"
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
geofflambert

RE: OT: Tanks, er, Thanks

Post by geofflambert »

Do you have a link handy?

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Easily googled, I found them at crunchroll.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'm on somebody else's computer, and can't edit for some reason. It's crunchyroll.

Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

On this forum, I probably should have mentioned that the high school itself is a humongous aircraft carrier with 30,000 people. The backstory is sort of explained in this special episode (no tanks, sorry):

http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/girls-un ... e-3-online

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I'm on somebody else's computer, and can't edit for some reason. It's crunchyroll.

As far as I can tell, crunchyroll has the best english translation. But it also has the most commercial interruptions. In consequence, it edits out a couple of scenes, including the Russian-themed school singing Katyusha as their tanks roll through the snow.

Most of the other sites that carry Girls und Panzer appear to share a subtitled version which was subbed Japanese-to-German-to-English, with a lot of German words and phrases left in. Still, its delightful either way.

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

. . . and I'm guessing in Munich you're viewing the German-subtitled episodes. [:)]

Panzer Vor!, indeed.

ORIGINAL: chemkid

they are sooo~~ cute, right?!

cheers!
chem!

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

You Guys have got to be kidding right, this is a load of [replacement word] you realize. [:-]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

You Guys have got to be kidding right, this is a load of [replacement word] you realize. [:-]

Negative waves, Moriarity, always with the negative waves.

As far as I'm concerned, this series passes the WitP-AE standard for excellence: 1. It is entertaining. 2. For all its flaws, it is far, far better than anything else on the market.

If you're judging Girls und Panzers by the standard of realistic (or even physically possible) tank tactics, well, yeah, it falls short. But if that's your standard, then it is probably time to put your sense of humor into drydock for an overdue upgrade.
[;)]

MarkMohrifield

Post by MarkMohrifield »

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

As far as I can tell, crunchyroll has the best english translation. But it also has the most commercial interruptions. In consequence, it edits out a couple of scenes, including the Russian-themed school singing Katyusha as their tanks roll through the snow.

At the risk of displaying my ignorance; why is a website bothering to edit an episode at all?
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Negative waves, Moriarity, always with the negative waves.

As far as I'm concerned, this series passes the WitP-AE standard for excellence: 1. It is entertaining. 2. For all its flaws, it is far, far better than anything else on the market.

If you're judging Girls und Panzers by the standard of realistic (or even physically possible) tank tactics, well, yeah, it falls short. But if that's your standard, then it is probably time to put your sense of humor into drydock for an overdue upgrade.
[;)]

I slap you with my Glove Of common honesty and a fundamentalist thought, sir!, a challenge that cannot go unanswered, to be sure. [:-]

As I observe that in your ignorance, you are suffering from a perversion for scantly clad female tank-crew. This I find against all my ideas of common decency, and good all-round gentlemanly behavior, I do sir. [;)]

Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I slap you with my Glove Of common honesty and a fundamentalist thought, sir!, a challenge that cannot go unanswered, to be sure. [:-]

As I observe that in your ignorance, you are suffering from a perversion for scantly clad female tank-crew. This I find against all my ideas of common decency, and good all-round gentlemanly behavior, I do sir. [;)]

Ouch! Slapped by the Glove of common honesty! I didn't see that coming . . .

I accept your challenge, sir. And for weapons for our duel I choose . . .

. . .

Tanks! crewed by scantily-clad animated females*.

*=Truth-in-advertising disclaimer: the anime is G-rated. No unmentionables, or even underwearables are shown.
*= The only skirt-chasing involves the metal skirt covering the track assembly of the PzIV AufD.

Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: MarkMohrifield

At the risk of displaying my ignorance; why is a website bothering to edit an episode at all?

The ignorance is mutual. I have no idea.

DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

I accept your challenge, sir. And for weapons for our duel I choose . . .

I choose -

Attachments
Basselope..cartoon.jpg
Basselope..cartoon.jpg (40.88 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Blackhorse -

Just a quick note - home for lunch.

Watched the first four episodes last night - and I am hooked. Love the detailed specs on the tanks mixed with high school teen logic and attitude - cushions and décor for the inside of the "IV".

"Apologize to the Finns!" / "Panzers Vor" (Panties what???)

Love the humor. Will watch the rest of the series soon...

Thanks for the heads up.

Mac

P.S. - the ONLY reason I took the time to sit through episode one is because I hold you, Blackhorse, to be a mature and reasonably <grin> responsible individual who would not make a recommendation lightly...
LAV-25 2147
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

DivePac88 -

Original:

As I observe that in your ignorance, you are suffering from a perversion for scantly clad female tank-crew.

As a fromer armored vehicle Maintenance Chief (USMC LAV's), the "scantly clad female tank - crew" would have been a refreshing change from the norm...

Respectfully submitted,

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

P.S. - the ONLY reason I took the time to sit through episode one is because I hold you, Blackhorse, to be a mature and reasonably <grin> responsible individual who would not make a recommendation lightly...

. . . and that was your first mistake.

Thanks, Mac! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”