This a test ...no farting please

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

This a test ...no farting please

Post by Footslogger »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gviucicFMI

Well I cleaned out all my cookies and I'm still getting this double error. Could it be a virus of some kind? Help please and please don't fart.
wdolson

RE: This a test ...no farting please

Post by wdolson »

I have no idea why it's happening. I saw some other double posts at one time, but you're the only one who consistently has double posts now.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

I think that Footslogger just wants to be noticed a bit more. [;)]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Yes, in spite of "No farting please." he let go a monster one.

It might be that your Internet access is getting a lot of errors. If you can, log into your Internet modem and have a look.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Maybe packet loss for some reason?

I would not be surprised if this was some kind of connection error and your browser was sending the information twice, regardless of its cookies, etc.
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Well its all very strange. When I hit the OK post button, a period of 10-15 seconds passes before it goes through. Now as for connections and errors, this system is 3-4 years old, so there may be alot of errors. Another concern is my wireless router. It is as old as the system is.

I do plan on getting windows 7 here sometime, instead of my XP.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I'm thinking the Internet link that you pay for. From your house to the telco/cable/whatever.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

It looks like the double posts only happens when you start a thread. Your last post wasn't doubled.

3-4 years old isn't that old for a system. This computer's hard drive image dates back to 1996, though the original hard drive was retired many years ago. I have 6 operational computers (need them for work mostly). I tinker with most of them at least once a year. About ever 18 months I pull the hard drive, clone it, and put a new drive in. I've only had one catastrophic hard drive failure and that was a new drive a week after cloning, so I only lost a bit of data (I was able to recover most of the new data off the dying drive before it quit entirely).

In any case, most of the rest of my computers are 5+ years old. One mother board dates from the late 90s. Only one motherboard is less than 3 years old. And I make my living as a programmer.

Bill
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Heres anoth oddity.  It only happens at this website's forum.  On other forums, it doesn't do it.

BTW Bill, are you a software engineer?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

It might just be that your total route to Matrix is a little slower compared to other places you visit. Just enough to cross the line to trigger the symptom you see, whereas the other sites are just on the "OK" side of the line.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Heres anoth oddity.  It only happens at this website's forum.  On other forums, it doesn't do it.

BTW Bill, are you a software engineer?

My degree is in Electronic Engineering, though I mostly do software these days. The day job is a mix of embedded programming with C/C++ for Windows. I'm a fossil who hasn't done much web work.

Bill
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Do you know assembler or maybe I should say you remember it? [;)]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I started out in assembler. I started at Boeing and was working on an embedded system that had 18 Z-80s in one box. It was all written in assembly and we were almost out of memory. The main module's printout was as thick as a major city phone book. I was just doing maintenance, the original programmers ranged from pretty good to awful. I learned a lot about what not to do working on that project.

Bill
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

I think Footslogger's problem is what is known as the Ghost Sign-in, or double sign it. It is caused when someone has a stored cookie, containing their Log-in name and password for a site without knowing. So when they manually sign-in to a site, they are also signed-in because of the cookie. They of course don't know this, but it means that every action they perform, they perform twice.

It can get even worse; because if they forget to sign-out, and sighed back into the same site. They would be technically signed in four times, with the result that they would perform four times.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”