Zoom out more?

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Thraug

Zoom out more?

Post by Thraug »

Is there any way to zoom out further than what's available using the 'z' key? I find the furthest zoom level is still too close. :(
Bo Rearguard

RE: Zoom out more?

Post by Bo Rearguard »

ORIGINAL: Thraug

Is there any way to zoom out further than what's available using the 'z' key? I find the furthest zoom level is still too close. :(

I wonder what resolution you're at. I can see a good portion of the planet's surface at max zoom out...

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

I put better zoom levels into Deluxe AWD. Why not use that?
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Bo you should turn off show rough regions. The map looks way better that way. You really don't need to have it on because it's really easy to remember the regions that have it, and besides the pop up dialog tells you also.
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

ORIGINAL: Lebatron

Bo you should turn off show rough regions. The map looks way better that way. You really don't need to have it on because it's really easy to remember the regions that have it, and besides the pop up dialog tells you also.

Actually, I kinda like the rough region texture. [:D] The frozen region texture not so much.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Thraug

Post by Thraug »

Thanks guys. I do not get anywhere near the zoom-out level shown in Bo's screenshot. What is the Deluxe version of AWD? Is it this one that's sold on the products section:
www dot
matrixgames dot
com/store/330/Gary.Grigsby%27s.World.at.War:.A.World.Divided

Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Deluxe AWD is Lebatron's rather excellent mod you can get it here tm.asp?m=1627473&mpage=1&key=&#1627473
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Thanks for the kind words Wolfe.

@Thraug hmm since you did not know of my major remake of the map and other enhancements it leads me to believe that many owners of the game either don't even look at the forum, or entirely miss my posts about it on here. I try and make it as visible as possible, both in the regular posting area and in the mods section, but people still seem to miss it. I'll have a talk with Joel Billings and see if we can increase its exposure somehow. Perhaps some word of Deluxe can be mentioned on the main product page, and perhaps even be directly downloaded from there like the patches can be. In this way, nobody would miss it.
Thraug

Post by Thraug »

Lebatron, first thanks for the replies. It's obvious I'm s super-newb. I wasn't even sure if this game still had a user base when I started looking at WW2 strategic games. When this game was suggested to me all I knew was the info I found on the main product page. I downloaded the demo and came to these forums to inquire about the res and now the map zoom levels. I'm sorry, I didn't read much of the forum, but I did browse it for a couple of hours but somehow I missed your mod post.

I see your signature shows you are on the WaW development team. Why isn't your mod part of the latest patch? It sounds as though it greatly improves the game. The demo left me with a stale feeling, mostly due to the lack of modern resolution adjustments. I look forward to buying WaW. I much admit, I'm as little shocked at how much it is for a game that came out over 5 years ago. Someone in another forum said this is true most (all?) matrix games.

Thanks again. [:D]
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Yep, I was on the design team for AWD. In fact, I'm proud to say I came up with the name 'A World Divided' The little 'C' box in the upper left corner of the main game window shows the credits page. One reason why my mod is not included in a later patch, and Global Glory is, is that it has a new map that would make it incompatible with certain data files. Global Glory includes all the advanced stuff that I and a few others thought to add long after it went Gold. Brian, the maker of Global Glory, made his scenario to his own personal taste in the same way I have to mine. I disagree with a lot of the minor details in say the events and where and how much to place of undeveloped resources etc. and I completely steer clear of the Russian surrender stuff. I think auto victory set at the right number works fine. After I redesigned the Pacific ocean and eastern Russian from the first game(regular WAW) for the second(AWD) I still wasn't satisfied. Russia, the Mediterranean, Africa, etc could have been better. That would require more than just another alternate scenario that could be patched in, ie GG, it would require a full mod. The result of my continued map tweaking is Deluxe AWD. Matrix Games has a policy of not officially supporting Mods. Users install them at their own risk. However, there is no risk here FYI. All you could do is screw up were to place the dat folder. And I try to give good instruction on how to install properly to avoid that.

I can understand why the prices don't drop just because it gets older. The games here are very niche market and sell nothing like games from EA etc so developers can't go and discount their product several months after it's been out like Xbox and Playstation games do. Developers on here make their money on these games for several years and need that whole window of time to really justify going into work each day and make another. In the wargame world, a few years old is still relatively new. 5-6 years old middle aged. I would say AWD is now just entering middle age. There does come a day when certain programs do see significant discounts but AWD is by no means obsolete. One of the final patches put in a resolution scaler so as monitors get bigger the game could adjust to that. That's one of the things that has really helped to keep this game from going obsolete. Who would want to play at 1024x768 these days? Since the game is comfortable to play on any display now and the map and unit graphics look fine for a 2D map game there is no reason to suggest that it would not satisfy any player looking for a fast playing grand strategy game on WWII. I predict, and this is already coming true, that wargames being made today, including a few years ago, will have very long legs. Two reasons account for this. We are seeing diminishing advances in unit graphics because we have already reached a point where they look nice. The days of really blocky graphics is long over. And second, devs have finally gotten smart about building in resolution scalers so as bigger monitors become available players can enjoy seeing more of the map at once. Since AWD meets both of those criteria it could be a favorite to some for several more years yet. I will continue to play it until the day another game like it comes out that does this style of game better. So far nothing has. Perhaps we will have an AWD2 some day to retire AWD.
Thraug

Post by Thraug »

And again, thanks Jesse. Sorry, I have a few more shotgun question. :)

1) Is your "Deluxe" mod compatible with Global Glory?
2) I read your mod notes and at the end of one it mentioned something wasn't working correctly with victory condition assignment, that you had to take whatever victory label the game gave you at the end of the game and look it up on a chart you listed and bump it up/down a level. Also, some nation (Germany?) could/will prematurely surrender, or something along these lines. Are these still issues with the latest Deluxe version? Will/can they be addressed?

I also forgot to mention, AWD drew me here due to it being somewhat similar to Axis & Allies. I play a lot of boardgames and A&A is one we have played for years, since the first chit version. heh
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

All the good stuff from Global Glory that I and others thought up after the game went Gold is in Deluxe, and the stuff I think adds nothing of value to game play I left out. Like I said, Brian and I made our scenarios to our own tastes. Deluxe supersedes GG so it can't be compatible, and besides Deluxe uses a better designed map as I explained when I went into the history of that process of map evolution. Just like in A&A, a well designed map is the most fundamental part of good gameplay. A&A's map has evolved throughout editions because advanced players suggest map changes, same happened here. My own experience with the the orginal map of AWD lead me down the road to better map design.

The victory condition bug has never been fixed. It's an engine error and the last game engine is 1.040 which will probably never be patched further. It's a non-issue because right on Greenland I list the victory table, and players of Deluxe use that to determine final victory.

As you probably read A&A was what lead me to the original WAW as well.
Thraug

Post by Thraug »

Good stuff Jesse. I bought the with a Easter discount, but too late for any of the golden egg discounts. I'm slowly making my way through the manuals. I'll probably start with your mod, unless someone suggests otherwise. :)
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

You should really start with the tutorials first, then play the basic game scenario called Total War several times. After that you could then read the patch notes to get a handle on the advanced features that I use in Deluxe AWD.

Return to “Tech Support”