Thinking about getting the game but...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Regularity

Thinking about getting the game but...

Post by Regularity »

... the $100 price tag for the base game and all the current expansions is a bit steep, particularly since I assume the latest expansion (Shadows) once released will bump the total price up to $130 or so. I know that most publishers will offer bundle deals on multi-expansion games so that the mounting costs of all the expansions won't intimidate potential new customers from enjoying the franchise, and I was wondering if Matrix Games or any resellers were offering something like that? I couldn't find anything on the official store, but thought I might have missed it by mistake.

The game looks really interesting, but as a student I can't really afford to drop $130 on a single game -- particularly since that amount of cash usually buys two or three newly released triple-A blockbuster games, or even an entire stack of older, but still enjoyable games. So if anyone knows of any sales or cheaper resellers for this series, I'd appreciate the help!

Antiscamp

RE: Thinking about getting the game but...

Post by Antiscamp »

Man! I was in the same situation. I thought it was way too expensive for a game like this. In fact, my first forum post on here was complaining about that. I bought it all at the Christmas sale though, and now, a couple of months later, I've been playing it almost every day, modding it and making Let's Play videos of it. I consider it really worth it and I'm only looking forward to getting the chance at throwing some more money at them with Shadows. [:D]

I suggest you start by buying the base game and then working your way up with the expansions as you play the game, either fall for it or not, and can afford it. Watch some Let's Plays too, to get the feel for the game and see if it's really your kind of game or not. Das makes some really excellent tutorial Let's Plays, if you haven't seen them already.

Good luck. [:)]
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I have to say that if you are really a 4x fan then this game is really really really worth it. I bought the games full price and in my opinion, if you want a space game that is as deep as lets say paradox titles then this is the game for you. I must warn you that its not your casual 4x, its pretty detailed and pretty much easy once you watch a couple of LPs (das24680 is a god when it comes to strategy LPs and I learned lots from him). I have to say that its worth more than those AAA titles that you are going to buy with the $100 that you have. Graphics aside and just a few more rough edges and maybe more features (which we will see in Shadows), this game has the potential to be the best space 4x EVER!!!!
et ignobiles oblivio
martok

Post by martok »

Welcome to the forums, Regularity. [:)]

Matrix typically places vanilla DW plus the expansions on sale whenever a new expansion is released, so look for the price to drop when Shadows comes out (which hopefully will be in another month or so). It'll still be rather spendy, unfortunately, but not as much as it is right now.

I agree with the others that this game is worth the high price tag, but goodness knows I don't blame you for being reluctant to pull the trigger!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

DPimentel

Post by DPimentel »

I'd have to agree with this. I had heard about the game, but I spent a lot of time watching the LPs before I dived in and spent the money. I was still overwhelmed when I started playing, but once you get the hang of it, you won't be disappointed. I've been trying the beta to Stardrive, but I still keep going back to DW. I feel it's the best 4X game out there.
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Here is my formula for deciding if a game is worth the purchase price. For every dollar I spend, I want one hour of enjoyable playing time. So the question for you is, will I get $130.00 of fun out of Distant Worlds and all its expansions. I have been playing DW for over two years now with very little time for other games. I have got my money's worth, big time. It has been a great investment.

I miscalculated. I have been playing for THREE years. Time goes by when you are having fun.
Old............but very fast
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

ORIGINAL: Fishers of Men

I have been playing DW for over two years now with very little time for other games. I have got my money's worth, big time. It has been a great investment.

words of wisdom Fishers . Cheapest game per hour in a very long time.
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
Regularity

Post by Regularity »

I've sunk hundreds of hours into various 4X games, so I don't doubt I'll probably enjoy it quite a lot. The enthusiastic forum community is always a good sign when it comes to game quality, too.
ORIGINAL: martok
Matrix typically places vanilla DW plus the expansions on sale whenever a new expansion is released, so look for the price to drop when Shadows comes out (which hopefully will be in another month or so). It'll still be rather spendy, unfortunately, but not as much as it is right now.

If it's going to be on sale in only a month or so, I will probably just have to wait. Is there a confirmed release date for Shadows, or does Matrix Games usually have a "it's done when its done" policy of indeterminate release date? Also, do the sales tend to give significant price cuts? If the savings aren't that much, I may just bite the bullet and buy it now.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks for your interest!

Our policy in general is "when it's done it's done" and we try to keep the community informed. In other words, we don't release until we're happy with the gameplay and stability of the release. We're aiming for a release by late April. At this point in time I think that could slide by a couple of weeks if we need an extra build or two, but I wouldn't expect much more of a delay than that.

We typically price the special bundle deals at about 33% off. I expect that will be the same for the Shadows release.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Regularity

Post by Regularity »

You guys at Matrix Games should probably take note: There is a discount for buying the games as a bundle, but there's no info about it on the product page. It's only AFTER adding it to the cart are you informed there's a bundle discount.

You guys might be able to sell more copies if people actually knew there was such a discount when browsing the product page, otherwise you're only selling copies to the people willing to pay full price anyways and actually losing you money. I mean, as opposed to incentivizing customers who were otherwise unwilling to buy, as discounts are usually intended to do.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

It is bound to be a better deal than Sword of the Stars 2 -- still isn't what it was promised when released. I'll never buy another game from that house. Foolish me, spent $40 pre-order and believed the spin that it would be fixed soon the first month of release when I could have gotten my money back. Spending $70 for DW and two expansion (with the bundled discount and Easter-Special discount) didn't seem like such a big risk.

I loved MOO-2. If I get as much fun out of this game as I did Masters of Orion, it will be a fair trade.

A friend of mine (playing Revolution Under Siege - pbem) recommended this game and said the economic model is very good. I am firing up the base game this weekend and getting familiar before loading up the expansions.

I guess the question is relative to entertainment dollars - how much do you spend on cable/satellite - on books - movies, dvds, etc. I don't have a lot of disposable income but I do rack up an occasional $75 run at a book store. So I won't go there this or next month and instead conquer an alien race.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Welcome to the forum, DanSez! I very much liked MoO2, as well. May I give you a suggestion. Before you start to play Distant Worlds (basic), I would install all the expansions that you have purchased first. The expansions are not just new story lines, but they are complete updates in economics, tech tree, characters, ships, short cuts buttons, screens, computer memory improvement, role play elements, and patches to fix bugs. There is not way I would play the original DW, by itself, again. Then later you might be interested in the outstanding user mods that are available here.

Take the plunge, I know you can handle it!
Old............but very fast
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Thanks for the advice - from the Paradoxian world I know HoI3 without all expansions isn't half the game it is with them.
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Late april/may now.This expansion has taken a lot longer than the others to develop.I hope its not just the new pirate mechanic that has stalled it but many new features and improvement to the base game.[:)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”