Request for Additional Beta Testers

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

JLPOWELL

RE: Request for Additional Beta Testers

Post by JLPOWELL »

I am interested in helping move this project to completion. And have time and a VERY flexible schedule.

1. Any previous experience testing software. My relevant background is; experience determining requirements and developing those into working products at a large corporation for government clients.

2. Your experience of cardboard and paper World in Flames (we strive for equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)

b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago) Played a lot but its been nearly 20 years.

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's version of computerized World in Flames).
a. None

4. Your PC specification. (just the basics): I have access to several PC's but this laptop is my primary
a. CPU speed Intel i5 1.6 GHz
b. RAM 4GB
c. Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s) usually use an 1920 x 1080 external monitor I can run multiple monitors

(if the laptop performance is inadequate I will have image rendering machine which should run anything (i7 3.4Ghz 16+GB and Graphics... within about a month.)

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or Can do this without any difficulty have several laptops and a moderate desktop and acquiring a high end system. (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM. Easily done

Looking forward to lending a hand.

"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
rmdesantis

Post by rmdesantis »

I have recently retired, so I have an extremely flexible schedule. In terms of your questions:

1. Any previous experience testing software.
Years ago I was a beta tester for some PC related PIMs. It's probably been 15 years at least, but I do understand what is involved.

2. Your experience of cardboard and paper World in Flames (we strive for equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
Recruit - I used to play extensively, but not for the past 20 years. I moved away from friends and got totally involved in work.

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's version of computerized World in Flames).
a. None

4. Your PC specification. (just the basics):
I have several laptops - Win 8, 8 GB Ram, I7 processor. Win 7, 6 gb ram, i5 processor. The Win 7 machine has very high resolution (has a graphics card so its 1920 by 1080 I think). Win 8 laptop is 1366x768

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM.
I do have access to multiple PCs and multiple email accounts.

Mike
DimiDesk

Post by DimiDesk »

Hi Red Prince !

I'm happy to learn that this program come to the end...[:)]
So, I'm actually playing a session of this fabulous game under Vassal system against me (To learn the rules)... I post an AAR of this on the site leqg (Name of the post : World in flames - un AAR d'apprentissage / My username on this site is Bozocobol)

I'm very interesting to help your teams in the way of testing...

My answers are :
1. Any previous experience testing software.
I'm working as DBA Administrators. I was, some years ago, an analyst programmer with Cobol74, but too with Delphi... I maintain actually some applications writed in Delphi code...
So I never join a team test, but I spent time with my unit tests code written in Delphi or COBOL. I know the development cycle of a software in a business, and the place and the importance of testing ...

a. Newbie - Never played WiF (but it looks great)
b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago)
c. Average - Currently playing WiF on a regular basis
d. Grognard - Rules guru
It's difficult to find some crazy players who have times and place to play this game... to learn this game... So, in this way, my only experience of this game is that i have read the rules many times...
I take th initiative to play a game with the Vassal system one month ago against me to learn the game... So, i am a Newbie becoming a recruit... And for this moment, I am an Average player...

a. None
b. Some
c. A lot
I bought this game... It is very useful for understanding the game... But it's more fun to play on Vassal ... I also faced a few bugs in CWif... So, answer c

a. CPU speed
b. RAM
c. Operating system
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s)
CPU Speed : Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.16GHz 3.17GHz
RAM : 4 Go.
Operating System : Windows 7 64 bits
Screen resolution : 1920x1080

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM.
Over the time, you can see that I could have 2 to 3 hours for 5 days in a week in the evening... I can certainly spend less time on my AAR in favor of MWiF[;)]

I have a desktop (describe above) and a laptop that I could use to test Internet play (I made some test with vassal in this way...)

About email accounts, I have actually 2 address, but it is not a problem to open some new accounts...

Anyway, good job for the rest (and if I can help you is better[8D]) and I look forward to the outcome!

Dimi.

Dimi
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

1. Any previous experience in testing software.

Late testing for Conflict of Heroes. Having no experience with the system, I wrote a Beta AAR to help other beginners understand the game. CoH- A Beginners A.A.R.

2. Your experience of cardboard World in Flames (remember we need equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
a. Newbie - Never played WiF but it looks great
d. Grognard - Rules guru

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's ealrier version of a computerized World in Flames.
a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

In between a. and b.. I briefly studied CWiF when it was a freeware program.

a. CPU speed
b. RAM
c. Operating system
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor

a. i5-2500k @3.30GHz 3.60 GHz
b. 8 gigs
c. Windows 7 64 bit
d. 1920 x 1080

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM

a. Yes
b. Yes

Eric
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Had to remove my application as a job offer means I will probably be working crazy-long hours.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Lannes

Post by Lannes »

Late testing for Commander - The Great War, Time of Fury

2. Your experience of cardboard World in Flames (remember we need equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
d. Grognard - Rules guru

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's ealrier version of a computerized World in Flames.
a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

b. Some

a. CPU speed
b. RAM
c. Operating system
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor

a. AMD CPU speed - AMD clock 4.7
b. 4 gigs
c. Windows XP
d. 1920 x 1080

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM

a. Yes
b. Yes

Christophe
Christophe
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

This round of requests for Beta Testers is now closed - as of March 6, 2013.

I have sent personal messages (PMs) to those who volunteered.

I thank you for your support.[&o]
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Doughnuts

Post by Doughnuts »

13 years software and systems engineering including development of own gaming software (using GP for AI for diplomacy, unsuccessfully i'm afraid :( )ISEB certified (for what its worth :))

c Average, playing on Vassal

b. Some, have a copy somewhere

a. CPU speed 1.8 GHz
b. RAM 2GB
c. Operating system Windows XP
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor 1600 x 1200
Notoriety, not as good as fame but better than obscurity
ashramus

Post by ashramus »

Steve,

I would like to join the beta-testing-team. My answers:

1. Any previous experience in testing software. Tested a few mmo in open beta testing (warcraft, star wars, everquest II)

b. Recruit - played a lot a few years ago

a. Some, I did a bit of testing with Chris Marinacci's beta version

a. CPU speed: 3.8 Ghz
b. RAM: 8 GB
c. Operating system: Windows 7
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor: 1920 x 1024 (wide), think it goes higher..

Thanks for considering my application.

Nicolas
NL
rmerold

Post by rmerold »

Hi Steve, I would love the chance to Beta test for you...

I have worked in IT for 16 years testing a wide range of applications.
d. Grognard - Rules guru

a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

a. CPU speed: i5
b. RAM: 8GB
c. Operating system: Win7 or Win8, 64 bit
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor: 1680 x 1050

a. Yes
b. Yes

andyc63

Post by andyc63 »

I have been watching this forum for years in the hopes that WiF will finally be ready for the public. I would love the opportunity to participate.

1. Any previous experience testing software. Active member of Beta team for Slitherene Comander at War. Former programer of Simulation Sytems for Process Design and Chemical Reactions. Active in open Beta for Wings of War. Developed SYNGAS process design system and various data management and analysis sytems for engineering and military use.

2. Your experience of cardboard and paper World in Flames (we strive for equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team) Been playing since 1990. Three sets of WiF including most expansions. Currently set up on the dining room table.
a. Newbie - Never played WiF (but it looks great)
d. Grognard - Rules guru

a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

a. CPU speed i7 2.o GHz
b. RAM 4 GB
c. Operating system Win 7 64 Bit
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s) 1920 by 1080 multilple monitors

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM. Three computers with Win 7 and high speed internet with full connectivity.
Genshed62 aka Mr. Mayhem
Old Grognard
catski

Post by catski »

Hi Shannon,

I'm interresting to become a beta-tester

None

a. None

4. Your PC specification. (just the basics): HP Workstation
a. CPU speed: 3 Ghz
b. RAM: 16GB
c. Operating system: Win7,64 bit Enterpise
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor:1280 x 1024

4. Your PC specification. (just the basics): Laptop
a. CPU speed: 2.4 Ghz
b. RAM: 4GB
c. Operating system: Win7,64 bit Professional
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor:1920 x 1080

a. Yes
b. Yes
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Is there something on this page preventing Post #187 from being read?
Paul
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Huh?
Flipper
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Huh?
warspite1

Isn't it obvious? Post 187 clearly, in red, states that this round is closed.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

If anyone is still interested in beta testing MWIF, please reply to Karlis' post requesting same.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Guillerdemon

Post by Guillerdemon »

Hi Steve

You continue looking for beta testers, where I can sign up?
I can´t find the Karli´s post.
I am very interested in participating, I'm a veteran Wif player , and also video game producer in the spanish company Iron Belt Studios.
So if there is still a place, here I am

Attachments
betatester.jpg
betatester.jpg (186.95 KiB) Viewed 148 times
“Una orquesta con buenos músicos y buenos instrumentos. Si hubiésemos tenido eso en España...”

David Ramón Etarict (Sergent-chef “Fábregas”) 2e DB
GJK

Post by GJK »

I sent in my request to join the beta test team (along with my "credentials") and was told that I was accepted but to be patient but have yet to hear anything back. That was over a month ago.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: GJK

I sent in my request to join the beta test team (along with my "credentials") and was told that I was accepted but to be patient but have yet to hear anything back. That was over a month ago.
Sorry about that.[:(] I'll see what I can do to make this happen.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Guillerdemon

Post by Guillerdemon »

Ok, Here is my request:

I work in a video game producer and I have experience managing beta testing. In addition I have experience in beta testing of Boardgames.

c. Average - Currently playing WiF on a regular basis,

c. A lot, since the first chris marinacci´s Beta

a. CPU speed - Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2500 MHz
b. RAM - 8MB
c. Operating system - Windows 7
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor - 1366x 768

I have another pair of PCs with other specifications, which may be of interest depends on whatever you need.

Thanks for all, I look forward to help in the beta, I hope I can contribute something.
“Una orquesta con buenos músicos y buenos instrumentos. Si hubiésemos tenido eso en España...”

David Ramón Etarict (Sergent-chef “Fábregas”) 2e DB

Return to “World in Flames”