1941 Axis logistics collapse example

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

rmonical

1941 Axis logistics collapse example

Post by rmonical »

I have seen a posts with the notion that WITE does not capture the collapse of the German logistics as the Heer gets deeper into Russia. The reason I like this game is how well it captures those supply difficulties. I found WITE in late 2011 after spending a lot of time on the Smolensk campaign using John Tiller’s Panzer Campaigns title. I was reading the Glantz’s Barbarossa Derailed. I was immediately impressed how WITE captured the logistic situation that degraded German combat power in late July near vicinity Smolensk.

These screen shots from T17 of my game with Mehring I think illustrates the point. On this last clear turn, virtually no supply is getting to 2nd Panzer Group east of Moscow despite being within 120 miles of the rail head.

The first image shows the rail line.

Attachments
RRT17.jpg
RRT17.jpg (398.41 KiB) Viewed 31 times
rmonical

RE: 1941 Axis logistics collapse example

Post by rmonical »

This image shows the supply situation of 3.Panzer SE of Moscow.

Attachments
SupplyT17.jpg
SupplyT17.jpg (307.05 KiB) Viewed 30 times
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

This image shows the supply detail. The regiment received on a fraction of its requirements. The motor pool shows 158K available and 141K required. This is in clear weather and within 100 miles of a railhead.

Attachments
Detail.jpg
Detail.jpg (95.82 KiB) Viewed 30 times
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

The next turn, mud, continues to show the collapse of German supply. One of our 3.Panzer.Division regiments did get supply, the others got even less than the prior clear turn.

Attachments
23Pzsupply.jpg
23Pzsupply.jpg (186.62 KiB) Viewed 30 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

That's just the weather doing what a proper logistical system ought to do, even in clear. Mud is the only real break on operations in this game. What you can do when it's not mud is the problem.

WitE Alpha Tester
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

Random weather - turn 17 was clear.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

And if turn 18 was clear as well none of that need be fatal. It's the transition to mud that is killing the Axis here. That is an amazing advance. My money is on Moscow falling during snow, btw.

WitE Alpha Tester
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

My money is on Moscow falling during snow, btw.

I beg to differ :)
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”