Who Is Still Here?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

tocaff

Who Is Still Here?

Post by tocaff »

I was wondering who other than myself and Capt. Harlock is still around this forum? Who is still playing WITP? It seems dead here other than my AAR.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
wdolson

RE: Who Is Still Here?

Post by wdolson »

AE sucked the air out of the room.

I'm monitoring this forum, but I haven't played WitP since I was doing some head to head comparison between AE and WitP during development of AE.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Silence is golden, right? Yes there are some out here, know as the silent majority! Hal
Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 »

Still here, just struggling for time for gaming with family/work commitments.

Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.....
engineer

Post by engineer »

Still here noodling around with the editor to look at "what-if scenarios". Next up is a northern war: Japan decides to take out the Soviet Far East and keep the USA out as long as possible. Major mods to stock: adding Thai forces to the Japanese OOB, add Vichy forces in southern Indochina as Allied, Japanese only hold Hanoi/Haiphong and Thais hold Luang Prabang (per Franco-Thai War earlier in 1941), and no US oil embargo in July 41 since there was no occupation of southern Indochina so Japans gets a bonus on initial oil stocks. Japanese will start the war a little earlier (November, 1941). A bunch of House Rules are necessary: Allies cn't put troops in Siberia, US and Japan dance around full belligerency until Singapore falls or April 1, 1942. If the Japanese don't strike the US first, then FDR gets declaration of war by twisting arms in Congress and Japan gets asymmetrical victory conditions (another house rule): if they hold any lead on 11/1/44, then FDR loses the election and an isolationist negotiates peace (Japan wins), even if the Allies have a lead on 11/1/44, if they don't reach an autovictory by 6/1/45 (shortly after victory in ETO), then Japan gets a draw as war weariness pushes the Truman to wrap up FDR's "war of choice." .
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

So now I'm starting to feel very lonely here.
Todd

ColCathcart

Post by ColCathcart »

Rarely logging in but still lurking there. Not sure for how long though as my last PBEM is now clearly dead.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

Still here. Still 1 game to finish (vs. Allied AI). But not a lot of enthusiasm - the game seems old and though I will finish my current game I can't see myself starting any new games.

Roll on Witp2.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

You could try AE first. It's probably the closest anyone is going to come to WitP2 for a while at least.

The forums over there are lively too.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
tdpyle

Post by tdpyle »

I've become frustrated with the amount of micromanagement required with AE and decided to try a WITP game against the AI. I upgraded to the CHS mod which provides a slight bit of AE flavor without overdoing it. I have to say that I'm enjoying the game so far although I'm only at April, 1942. One improvement that would have been nice would be the -px -py full screen option like in AE. But still enjoyable.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

A problem with CHS is that it never was really tested deep enough into the game, or so I was told by reliable sources.
Todd

tdpyle

Post by tdpyle »

Well, so far, so good. We'll see what happens as I progress farther into the game. After all, what could go wrong...go wrong...go wrong? [:)]
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

The pilot bug, bug bug for starters. [:(]
Todd

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

Pilot bug was not a CHS thing though - stock WitP has the same problem.

Perhaps an edit is in order:

"A problem with WitP is that never was really tested deep enough into the game, or so Mobeer's own opinion goes"
tdpyle

Post by tdpyle »

Pilot bug is a worry. Hopefully, it will bite my AI opponent in the A** before it gets me [:)]. I'm playing Allied. So far, the mechanics of movement and upgrading, etc. are all OK.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

When the pilot bug bites it digs it's teeth into both sides of the fence. Seeing how the Allies have trained pilots and the Japanese have, well cannon fodder we know who it hurts more.
Todd

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

I pop over every so often but as I don't have the game installed on my current computer I usually refrain from posting in order to not give out incorrect information.

Classical WITP would still have value to those who find AE too micromanagement orientated. Which 6 years ago, pre-AE would have been a laughable idea to classical WITP players.

Alfred
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I remember playing UV and thinking that WITP was to detailed for me. Now I feel that way about AE. AE has things that I like over WITP, but there's just so much more.
Todd

gpannell

Post by gpannell »

Glad to see a few die hards still here. I hate the Micro management of AE and the time one turn takes.
We're gonna use their guts to grease our treads! - G.S. Patton, Jr.
Desertmole

Post by Desertmole »

Don't come here often, but still do a fair amount of gaming vs. AI. I tinker with scenarios based on finding new historical data or when I run into some interesting alternate history and want to see how it might game out.
I only wish I had you, the gentlemen of the pen, exposed for once to a smart skirmishing fire...

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”