The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Crackaces

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

I don't follow...[&:]

Perth is an excellent example ... John uses the KB like a hammer .. CR moves some CV aircraft to Perth and lays a trap. John makes a tactical error in my view by striking the port ignoring the strategic error of not appricating the flak and effect on results in the target hex .. John losses a great deal of IJN CV based aircraft platforms with little to show for the losses ... Of course this has nothing to do with CR and everything to do with the borked die rolls .. [8|]

No, I'm not being clear. I understand your point about John's outlook on this game and mostly agree with it. My question was about 'proposing that John get crap from a certain audience'. Were you proposing that that audience was me / other readers of CR's AAR?

I think there are 4 others including myself that give John a "hard time" in this AAR that beyond simple critism. That hard time is a spectrum that goes from sanguine rooting for CR to give John a good whopping, to delving into DSM IV Dx's for John's behavior [8D] . I used the term'certain audiance' as the rest of the posters are pretty much focused in my opinion on the game, and are not as invested in John's ego being devastated [:'(]. Speaking only from my standpoint as I am quite critical for the reasons stated. I am thinking that CR is taking advantage of John's personality in a very unfair way [:'(]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Since I'm not privy to John's AAR, alot of what's being said here is beyond the scope of my comprehension.  I can piece things together somewhat, and it's interesting information.  I think I've made this clear, but permit me to state again:  In real life, John and I are good friends going way back to UV days (2003).  In game life, John can irk the living stew out of me and does quite often.  It makes me want to thrash him badly - in the game.  But my game feelings don't transfer to real life.  And, in game terms, I'm having a blast playing a very aggressive and experienced opponent ---- even if his "Rolled Six!" and "Falaise Pocket" and "Banzaii!" comments drive me nuts. 
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Ah. I see.

I think Dan's posts on the matter of John's personality echo my own impressions quite well. Perhaps they're even a bit charitable. But they identify John's tendencies, frailties and foibles well. I'm probably a bit more critical than Dan is about John's strategic focus or lack thereof, but I've largely kept those rebukes to myself, as I don't think Dan would like to hear his friend berated in this AAR.

If you (Crackaces) have a history on the old WiTP site, you'll understand there's a personal connection between these two guys. John has been through a lot in his life and Dan was a loyal friend and connection. I know John is grateful for this loyalty. Some of this history gets in the way of me ripping John up one side and down the other in public.

Also, when I follow AARs, I will usually subscribe from the beginning based upon the player, his reputation, writing style, his opponent, the mod they're playing (yes, it matters), and-probably most importantly-the way the player plays the game. I followed very little of ChezDaJez / CR's AAR due to some of these factors. I've checked out of Bullwinkle's / OneEyedJacks for similar reasons.

Then there's the matter of a player not being able to take a hint. I made some suggestions early on in John's AAR that were bulldozed. I'll not so extend my neck again.

ETA: CR posted whilest I was drafting my note. This was originally targetted to Crackaces.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Not sure I'll send this email.  Not sure the latter two points are worth making since they don't respond to his points, though hey do help illustrate that feelings of "hey, you're abusing the game" are (as always) mutual.[/align]

Try:

“You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” – Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

“But, he thought, I keep them with precision. Only I have no luck anymore. But who knows? Maybe today. Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” – Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

“Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Luck is not chance-
It’s Toil-
Fortune’s expensive smile
Is earned-”
– Emily Dickinson

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” – Seneca

“In short, they were gambling on their luck, and luck is not to be coerced.” – Albert Camus, The Plague

“You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” -– Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes
The Moose
Miller

Post by Miller »

Dan you are getting too good at this game for your own good.........John will bail either when the KB is killed or by the end of 43, whichever is sooner.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

If you (Crackaces) have a history on the old WiTP site, you'll understand there's a personal connection between these two guys. John has been through a lot in his life and Dan was a loyal friend and connection. I know John is grateful for this loyalty. Some of this history gets in the way of me ripping John up one side and down the other in public.

Seems reasonable .. actually I am very new to this forum having 2 PBEM games under my belt and a game vs. the AI. I will take the hint, and not be so critical. Rather enjoy things and watch things unfold .. it is never good when the audiance gets involved with the play .. I know better [:(]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

“You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” -– Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

This is a job for Stupendous man!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

This is a job for Stupendous man!

I really miss C&H.
The Moose
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

How about Hee Haw:  Gloom, despair, and agony on me.  Deep dark depression, excessive misery.  If I had no bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.  Gloom, despair, and agony on me."

Hee Haw certainly was a fount of wisdom.....

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

And a font. [:)]
The Moose
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Miller

Dan you are getting too good at this game for your own good.........John will bail either when the KB is killed or by the end of 43, whichever is sooner.

I just put $20 down he wouldn't! [;)]

He will bitch and complain sometimes, and he might not see the error of his own choices, but I believe he'll stick through it. Just a hunch.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Not sure I'll send this email.  Not sure the latter two points are worth making since they don't respond to his points, though hey do help illustrate that feelings of "hey, you're abusing the game" are (as always) mutual.[/align]

Try:

“You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” – Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

“But, he thought, I keep them with precision. Only I have no luck anymore. But who knows? Maybe today. Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” – Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

“Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Luck is not chance-
It’s Toil-
Fortune’s expensive smile
Is earned-”
– Emily Dickinson

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” – Seneca

“In short, they were gambling on their luck, and luck is not to be coerced.” – Albert Camus, The Plague

This stuff is priceless!

Being a teacher I often bristle at statements about the word 'talent,' which is similar. I don't actually believe in that word. There is only hard work, circumstance and the ability to recognize how to take advantage of it.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: obvert

I am publicly accepting your bet at my offered 2:1 odds.

Hey, Dan, will you accept $10 for dropping this game? [:D]
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

I am publicly accepting your bet at my offered 2:1 odds.

Hey, Dan, will you accept $10 for dropping this game? [:D]

Now my friends would consider that "Gamey" [;)]

[These are people that have wagered a Vegan $10,000 to eat a hamburger (http://worldpokerfans.blogspot.com/2013 ... -bets.html) and another bet over 200 people they would last longer in a poker tournament [and was the first one out] (http://www.barge.org/barge_glossary.shtml#quickbets ) [8D]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

This stuff is priceless!

Being a teacher I often bristle at statements about the word 'talent,' which is similar. I don't actually believe in that word. There is only hard work, circumstance and the ability to recognize how to take advantage of it.

Girl of the Prairie is a teacher as well. One of her bristle-worthies is "I can't."

When I was a kid, my dad, an ex-CPO, used to say "Can't means won't. Are you refusing to do what I told you to do?" Gulp.
The Moose
obvert

Post by obvert »

This stuff is priceless!

Girl of the Prairie is a teacher as well. One of her bristle-worthies is "I can't."

When I was a kid, my dad, an ex-CPO, used to say "Can't means won't. Are you refusing to do what I told you to do?" Gulp.

That's a refrain whenever I start teaching a drawing class.

"I can't draw. I've never been able to."

I just ask, "Could you do chemistry before you took the course?"
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

This stuff is priceless!

That's a refrain whenever I start teaching a drawing class.

"I can't draw. I've never been able to."

I just ask, "Could you do chemistry before you took the course?"

I couldn't do chemistry after I took the class, but I have always been able to draw! (just kidding! at least about the chemistry part. I actually did well in the subject and retain a rudimentary knowledge)

Drawing is a natural talent.

Sure those without the talent can be taught to engage in an appproximation of drawing, but their efforts will never rival those who possess the talent.

btw...I had no idea you taught drawing. My deepest respect. As some one who has the talent (led me into a career in architecture), I cringe at the thought of trying to teach it to some one else.
Hans

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

BTW II) I might propose that John gets crap from a certain audience because he never recognizes the brilliance of the other guys strategy. It is always a die roll, the game, gamey play, but never John .. but if they other guy catches an unluckly break .. its John's most brillant move ever .. [8|]

I don't follow...[&:]
I havent posted there for a long time [:D]
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

This stuff is priceless!

One of my old bosses had a projector overhead he dragged to conferences for 10 years.

Success comes in Cans, not Cannots!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Panther Bait

Post by Panther Bait »

Drawing may be to some degree natural talent, but there are also a lot of different way, mediums, etc. to "draw". I can't freehand draw very well at all, but give me the proper materials and I can mechanical draw quite well, even without detailed dimensions.

I equate that to having a fairly good "eye" for perspective and proportion, but not a very good hand to put it on paper. I need the help of rulers, curves, etc.

Mike

Of course, my wife would state (and I would agree) that I do have trouble with color and color matching. [:)]
When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

Return to “After Action Reports”