RESEARCH ?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

operating

RESEARCH ?

Post by operating »

The game manual does not explain the details of doing research, a gloss over gets a; "yes", however, there is a lot more the game hinges on due to research. Please explain WHY a category becomes "unavailable" even though there are selections still left to develop. I might add the RR gun is totally frustrating to develop, especially when it appears that the AI is placing them on the Map early in the game! Unless a player has a magic wand to use to see into the future development of a category, other than one step, leaves the player clueless as to how the game progresses in the Research Dept.. Enough said.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Myrddraal

RE: RESEARCH ?

Post by Myrddraal »

especially when it appears that the AI is placing them on the Map early in the game!
Really? If you have a savegame of this, it would be very helpful if you could attach it here. That shouldn't happen.
operating

Post by operating »

Myrddraal

Stepped up and installed 1.20 since my statement. playing 1914 now, if the past same results occur, I will try to copy and send it to you.
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

Not sure what you meant by category's that become unavailable. I know some will start out as unavailable and then activate either with time or after some event (gas masks can't be researched until someone uses poison gas, etc).

Regarding the magic wand comment, if you look at the lower left corner of the research window under statistics, there are pictures of the previous and the next researchable item for whatever item you are currently researching. If you click on those pictures, it switches to show you the effect of that future/previous item. You can keep clicking those until you get to the first or last item in the research tree.

Hope this helps.
operating

Post by operating »

bobarossa

You were correct about the research tree, found that out during my last games.

What still occurs is the "unavailable" label on the last item in each category in the research tree.

Otherwords; Take for instance, the Infantry category in the research tree, develop it with labs (1 or more) until it gets down to the last two selections (usually the Sub machine Gun or the Balloon), the game allows a FOCUS on one or the other, once that selection plays out the game does not allow the player to FOCUS on the last remaining selection. This last selection then has the LABEL of "unavailable" in red. I sometimes leave it like this a number of turns to see if there is any change, if none I cash in the labs. This happens towards the end of every category. I see no explanation as to how to resolve this in the manual. If anybody has any suggestions Please pass them along. Thanks, Bob
operating

Post by operating »

Myrddraal

How do I send a saved game? nor do I see how to do a screen shot?

Thanks, operating
Myrddraal

Post by Myrddraal »

You should be able to attach your savegame to your post if you zip it up. To take a screenshot, press CTRL+P in game. You can then upload it to an image sharing service, or attach it your post as you do with the savegame.
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

ORIGINAL: operating

bobarossa

You were correct about the research tree, found that out during my last games.

What still occurs is the "unavailable" label on the last item in each category in the research tree.

Otherwords; Take for instance, the Infantry category in the research tree, develop it with labs (1 or more) until it gets down to the last two selections (usually the Sub machine Gun or the Balloon), the game allows a FOCUS on one or the other, once that selection plays out the game does not allow the player to FOCUS on the last remaining selection. This last selection then has the LABEL of "unavailable" in red. I sometimes leave it like this a number of turns to see if there is any change, if none I cash in the labs. This happens towards the end of every category. I see no explanation as to how to resolve this in the manual. If anybody has any suggestions Please pass them along. Thanks, Bob
OK, I see what you're asking now. I think when only one selection is left in a column, there is no need to focus since that is the only item the lab is working on anyway. I have not checked to see if progress is being made at a focus-like speed. Even when you focus, the other items typically make some progress. Is it possible that when there is no focus, the research effort is still being divided up by the original number of possibilities instead of the actual number of remaining ones?

And how did you know my name was Bob? [;)]
Myrddraal

Post by Myrddraal »

I think when only one selection is left in a column, there is no need to focus since that is the only item the lab is working on anyway.

Yes that's correct. Focus boosts the research speed of one tech at the expense of the other techs in the same category. When there is only one tech left in a category, focus becomes meaningless (and hence is disabled).
operating

Post by operating »

Or would you rather be known as Rossa? [:)]

Quite honestly, I'll have to back off somewhat on my Research Bitchin. Although I still wonder why they have this RR gun in the game. Just for the hell of it, after winning a 1916 game ran up 13 labs to develop the RR gun (only selection left), which finally came fruition somewhere around October 1919, thus, a nonfactor to the game timeline, plus it had the punch of a pussycat when developed! The only thing I would add to the Research bitch, (if you did not know any better) (under the Naval selections), tells the player what certain selections enhance particular ships. The tree explains some, but not the whole story, EX. What applies to BB, Cruiser, ect. .

Thanks, I'm Bob [:D]
operating

Post by operating »

Myrddraal

The (German) RR gun is in the start of the Entente 1918 scenario. In all the games played thus far (1914 on up, both sides) I have left at least 1 lab to develop artillery, at no time before the scenarios ended did the RR gun develop. I just do not see the value of this research? It seems to be a waste of PP.

Thanks, Bob
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

Quite honestly, I'll have to back off somewhat on my Research Bitchin. Although I still wonder why they have this RR gun in the game. Just for the hell of it, after winning a 1916 game ran up 13 labs to develop the RR gun (only selection left), which finally came fruition somewhere around October 1919, thus, a nonfactor to the game timeline, plus it had the punch of a pussycat when developed! The only thing I would add to the Research bitch, (if you did not know any better) (under the Naval selections), tells the player what certain selections enhance particular ships. The tree explains some, but not the whole story, EX. What applies to BB, Cruiser, ect. .

I remember having trouble with that too. I finally figured out that the little icons on the upper left of the research picture show which ships/troops/etc are affected. I had trouble identifying the icons but if you hover the mouse over them, the name pops up.

I also recall reading a thread on the RR gun thing. If you look around it will explain things much better than I can. I never tried researching them.

Bob2
operating

Post by operating »

Bob2[;)]

There are little white icons above each research column that indicate the category to be researched, I believe that is what you are referring to. Same thing when you hover over the icons in the individual selections in the description window. Neither give enough info as to how/or what specific unit is effected. Such as; Does a gas mask apply to cavalry, or let's say an artillery unit! We know it does not, but they don't tell the new/unknowing player those facts. Do you get what I mean?

Thanks, Bob[:)]
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

I hadn't noticed the little white icons or I would have been more specific. When I select gas mask, I get a description of the technology on the left hand side. Above that is a bigger picture of the technology with an infantry icon in the upper left corner of the picture. That tells you that this technology only applies to Infantry units. As another example, when you select Industrial Warfare (the first Ground Unit technology), the picture has icons for Garrison, Infantry and Cavalry. Hope this helps.
operating

Post by operating »

Bob-ah

I think I know what you are talking about now!? I'll check it out, to see if we are on the same page.

Bob
operating

Post by operating »

Boba[:)]

Found what you were talking about on page 47 of the manual in the selection window of the Research Panel window. Those RED icons in the selection window display which specific units are affected by a chosen tech in the tree. In particular, some of the naval techs apply to both BB and cruisers. Thanks for helping to answer some of my questions!

Bob [&o]
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: bobarossa

I remember having trouble with that too. I finally figured out that the little icons on the upper left of the research picture show which ships/troops/etc are affected. I had trouble identifying the icons but if you hover the mouse over them, the name pops up.

I also recall reading a thread on the RR gun thing. If you look around it will explain things much better than I can. I never tried researching them.

Bob2

Read that thread on RR Guns, It seemed the general consensus of Researching RR Guns is a waste of time, and of PPs., of which I would have to agree with. Until a player finally Researches a RR Gun, does the player realize that it then takes another 10 turns to develop the foolish thing. There again I find a problem with the Production Panel with not telling a player how long it takes to develop a Locked up Tech. Kinda leads a player down a dark road until they get results, good/bad/or indifferent.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”