Time of Fury v1.04 Beta Patch

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

Andrew Loveridge

Time of Fury v1.04 Beta Patch

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

Hello all,

We have a new installer Update for Time of Fury. The Public Beta version of 1.04 is in the Members Club. It has a number of fixes and improvements. Please check it out and let us know how it works for you.

2013-02-20 [v1.04]
    Fixes[/b] [ul]
  • Fixed supply distribution problems for air units
  • Deleted ghost fleet in Fall Gelb campaign causing the game to crash
  • ChangeSMP event's method now correctly changes the values of SMP
  • Entrenchment bonus now removed just after the unit has moved, not at the end of turn
  • Game can be always running in Quick Start mode as Allies
  • Fixed display o the Defenders effective strength value
  • Fixed supply distribution problems
Events
  • Added new method for events Hex.AddFrozenLandUnitAndPassControlOverHexIfEmpty (int hexX, int hexY, int countryID, int unitType, int unitLevel, int unitStrength, int turnsfrozen, name)
Gameplay
  • Soviet effectivity reduction impact decreased by 50% and probability to recover increased 3 times
  • Winter War most probably end after Soviets capture of Helsinki or Vyborg (715)
  • Soviets social unrest now will gain 50% hit (was 10%) if Winter War peace won't be accepted (335)
Features
  • Nukes are now aquired every four months instead of each month (moddable)
  • Nuclear report added to the reports
AI
  • AI now uses the Nuclear Bombs more eagerly
[/ul]
gwgardner

RE: Time of Fury v1.04 Beta Patch

Post by gwgardner »

Important note: if you continue a saved game after this patch, it will take a full turn before you see the corrected air supply.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Quote : You are so right. The commander effect is being calculated for the unit with the commander assigned, but it is not being calculated for units within the commander's range. Bummer.

Is the commander bonus still an issue ?
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Yep,
Gwgardner the suply is not calculated in the fly.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

commander bonus extension was working in the previous 1.04, haven't checked with this one

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Well. It seems patience has finally paid off. Playing Fall Gelb scenario, and so far no crashes or problems! I like this game a lot and was bumming that I wasn't able to play it.
JRR
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I know that in CEaW-GS when you click on a unit with a leader all units he affects (with bonus) are highlighted with a similar color border. Is there an easy way to tell in TOF? I am really just beginning to play as I had a terrible crash problem before 1.04.
JRR
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Some counter/sprite sets show large HQ symbols for the unit the commander is attached to, and smaller symbols for those that his range extends to.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777
I know that in CEaW-GS when you click on a unit with a leader all units he affects (with bonus) are highlighted with a similar color border. Is there an easy way to tell in TOF? I am really just beginning to play as I had a terrible crash problem before 1.04.
With the Agent S unit icon set the commander is shown by the star on the unit icon and those units receiving a command bonus have a chevron. However, depending on which game version you have, the display may show command bonus, but it may not be applied beyond the unit actually having the commander.

Attachments
TimeOfFury..023751.jpg
TimeOfFury..023751.jpg (131.68 KiB) Viewed 84 times

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I changed from sprites to counters and am able to see the commander star and the chevrons on affected units now. Thanks. I assume that the bonus is applied automatically?
JRR
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I changed from sprites to counters and am able to see the commander star and the chevrons on affected units now. Thanks. I assume that the bonus is applied automatically?

The bonus is applied automatically, provided that you are using a version that has been corrected to make it work properly. I think 1.04 is OK, but earlier versions, like the 1.03 betas, may only apply the bonus to the unit that actually has the commander star.

There may be other effects contributing to the total modifier % bonus, such as terrain effects and entrenching, for both the attacker and the defender.

The SS is from a saved game which will not play in 1.04 and am using 1.03 beta v3 so, although the attacking unit has a chevron, I don't think the commander bonus is being added and obviously I wouldn't be trying this attack at 1:1 odds.
Attachments
Modifier.jpg
Modifier.jpg (141.34 KiB) Viewed 87 times

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Right. So if the commander bonus was working correctly (as diplayed by the chevrons), then an attack that included the 17th INF Corps should get a bonus for both attacking units. I confess to giving the manual a once over, then learning by playing. I am not really sure how to calculate whether the bonus is being applied correctly in 1.04. Sure would like to know. Also, in Fall Gelb, Jul-Aug '40 turns, France has had negative PP's to start every turn (playing custom with easy settings and German AI hard using the new 1.04 beta). Does this sound normal? Just trying to make sure this version works well (at least no crashes to date).
JRR
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Right. So if the commander bonus was working correctly (as diplayed by the chevrons), then an attack that included the 17th INF Corps should get a bonus for both attacking units. I confess to giving the manual a once over, then learning by playing. I am not really sure how to calculate whether the bonus is being applied correctly in 1.04. Sure would like to know. Also, in Fall Gelb, Jul-Aug '40 turns, France has had negative PP's to start every turn (playing custom with easy settings and German AI hard using the new 1.04 beta). Does this sound normal? Just trying to make sure this version works well (at least no crashes to date).

I haven't had time to do much with the latest 1.04beta yet, GW Gardner may know more than me. It would be better if the attacker and defender modifiers were itemised somehow, so you could see where the bonuses were coming from, the terrain effects can be seen from the map, commander bonus is shown on the icon, but how much for entrenching, etc., you could work it out, but it would get tedious. It would be useful to have an indication in the info boxes, or on the unit icon, how well a unit is entrenched. However, in the end, you do get a prediction of the combat odds and can then decide whether to make the attack, or not.

I have found' Fall Gelb' is one of the better scenarios and has worked quite well, I did get a collapse of PPs, playing as Axis, with not apparent reason when looking back through the event reports, but I had just changed game versions and it may have been calculating upkeep differently. The PP levels did stabilise after a few turns and became more 'normal'.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Retried my saved game in new 1.04 beta and it does now work, which is good, but the combat modifiers for the SS example in the earlier post above, are the same (72% and 88%). So whatever version 1.03 beta v3 was doing, latest version 1.04 bets is the same, unless being a saved game it does not use the new parameters.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I checked the 'reports' page and found that the French upkeep for their units is more than the (shrinking due to loss of cities) PP's being produced each turn. This makes sense, and is likely historically accurate. And, as you pointed out, the bonus for a commander in range, as well as the other modifiers, give you a prediction of odds and allow you to decide to attack or not, so that is good enough for me also. The game forces you to make tough decisions, such as when to cut and run as the BEF (the french inability to replace air factors sort of seals their fate) or when to send units to Egypt (while the French fleet is able to keep the Italians busy in the Med), etc. I may purchase the massive WITE eventually, but now with the 1.04 working for me, this game is a step between that and CEaW. After I hone my skills a bit more, I will try the PBEM against a live opponent (always the best way to learn IMHO)!
JRR
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I checked the 'reports' page and found that the French upkeep for their units is more than the (shrinking due to loss of cities) PP's being produced each turn. This makes sense, and is likely historically accurate. And, as you pointed out, the bonus for a commander in range, as well as the other modifiers, give you a prediction of odds and allow you to decide to attack or not, so that is good enough for me also. The game forces you to make tough decisions, such as when to cut and run as the BEF (the french inability to replace air factors sort of seals their fate) or when to send units to Egypt (while the French fleet is able to keep the Italians busy in the Med), etc. I may purchase the massive WITE eventually, but now with the 1.04 working for me, this game is a step between that and CEaW. After I hone my skills a bit more, I will try the PBEM against a live opponent (always the best way to learn IMHO)!
Glad it's working out for you, I know that ToF is far from perfect, but there is some reality in the chaos. When games have intricate and accurate OOBs, when you see the 5th Guards Tank Army arriving on your horizon you will know exactly what it is, with ToF you don't know what may happen next, which puts you in the place of the historically commanders, they didn't get the chance to read the books to see what happens next.[:)]

borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

It is displayed with sprites too, just use sprites plus, not sprites. :)
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Just wanted to say that we are testing 1.05 which should deal with recently reported crashes.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader
Just wanted to say that we are testing 1.05 which should deal with recently reported crashes.
Inevitable question is when will it be issued and will there be any other changes ? [:)]

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Not this time.
We are still focusing on the stability as we would like to finally start porting the engine to new technology which will allow us to release games on mobile devices.

Return to “Time of Fury”