Tips, strategy, and tactics for Random Maps?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Kevinorf

RE: Tips, strategy, and tactics for Random Maps?

Post by Kevinorf »

the map i enjoy using for playing a land battle is medium map, 4 players, land world, mirrorish (essential for 2 human players, not important against ai), 1 town start, i prefer stone age tech since it keeps you from overbuilding, and pangeaic continental size. i also like limited initial roads since it gives you a bit more breathing room at first

Sounds like playing Civilization - in a good way- but with better combat system. I love that game and have played almost every version.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I have both WtP and Case Blue but don't play them much. I'm a big fan of random map games: make history, not replay it. This is why Civ5 is probably my second most played game: good random game experience. I also have Gary Grisby's monster War in the East game. I doubt I'll live long enough to ever play it but do fire it up every now and then just to look at it :-)
ORIGINAL: Cheesehead64

Any of you guys own the Decisive Campaigns games by the same designer (WtB and Case Blue)? I do - like 'em but huge step up from Panzer Corps and Unity of Command. I thought ATG would be a good way to learn the system (and great game in its own right).
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Meanfcker

Post by Meanfcker »

What do you attack with early game? Machine guns and mortars instead of armor and arty? I am getting bombed by AI early game - okay to develop any fighters or level bombers?

Also, why are engineers so important?

Cheesehead64, against the AI, you need a fighter force early. Against people though, most of the guys that play hardcore multiplayer will agree, that airforces are an expensive luxury. They burn oil like its free, and you just can't afford it against a good agressive tank loving opponent. With just a few well placed fighters and flak I can make sure that you dont get enough kills to justify the oil that you are burning.
Early game build lots of cavalry, and shield them from counter attack with garrison units, they cant take a hit but they pack a great wallop.
Armored cars and light tanks are good early game as well. Or you could be cheeky and purchase medium tank on turn one or two and just go straight to them.
Engineers build forts, airfields, factories, ports, shipyards etc,. I am sure you could find use for much of the stuff they can do. They also blow bridges etc. and if you are lucky you could blow an enemy factory.
They upgrade raw and oil. You want to upgrade your best protected ones first. About three raw upgrades to one oil upgrade until you start to get big.
More raw means that you can run more factories, which means you have more tanks and that means more options.
Balace economy upgrades with the reality that your opponent might choose to rush instead and catch you with no force early game, I myself have been known to do that. :-)
Don't give up, it is like starting to smoke, if you get past the dizziness, it will be really hard for you to quit.
Meanie.
Kevinorf

Post by Kevinorf »

Yeah, it is hard to quit, Meanie. Flank, took your advice about the engineers and trains and worked great. Upgraded all my raw and oil and built a tank factory and was cranking out arty, trucks, and light tanks. Attacked a neighbor who was already being attacked by someone else and sliced through to the capital city. Bogged down and could have been more patient about the assault, but a decent effort. Learned a lot on that one...
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Cheesehead64

Yeah, I was ready to give up on Unity of Command and now I'm rocking on it - love it. This game is great too.

Any of you guys own the Decisive Campaigns games by the same designer (WtB and Case Blue)? I do - like 'em but huge step up from Panzer Corps and Unity of Command. I thought ATG would be a good way to learn the system (and great game in its own right).

Actually the most accesible title i did was Warsaw To Paris.

And if I think objectively about it Advanced Tactis is probably the most difficult to learn how to play :)

Mainly because you have to take care of production, chain of command, unit contents and logistics&supply your self.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Meanfcker

Post by Meanfcker »

Actually the most accesible title i did was Warsaw To Paris.

And if I think objectively about it Advanced Tactis is probably the most difficult to learn how to play :)

Mainly because you have to take care of production, chain of command, unit contents and logistics&supply your self.

Once you have all that sorted out, then you have some a-hole opponent who is constantly trying to undo all of your carefully prepared work.
It gets real fun once you get into 2v2 and 3v3 games.
The complexity of this game is mindboggling.
It is like heroin though, once you get hooked, nothing else can scratch this itch.
Kevinorf

Post by Kevinorf »

Meanie, that's why I'm taking baby steps, keeping my engagements small to learn the system. Definitely has that feel like Civilization - gotta play just one more turn (as the sun comes up).

Vic, sounds like you might know a thing or two about these games (hee hee). I'm enjoying your games. As I mentioned, I play Panzer Corps and Unity of Command a lot and wanted to take the plunge into the deep end. Might have to go back and try Warsaw to Paris. I get overwhelmed by the sheer number of units in the Decisive Campaign series but the game system is great and very accessible. I've completed a few of the smaller scenarios successfully...
Meanfcker

Post by Meanfcker »

Cheesehead64,
If you wish to see what a real tough fight between four good players looks like, email me, I will send you a game that is completed, and the password.
You could examine my Order Of Battle and that of my ally. You would also get four different guys versions of unit composition, though they are remarkably similar.
If interested, I could even make our Operations folder available to you, which has turn by turn documentation of strategy, operations, tactics, production, an OMG compostion guide, upgrade rates for raw and oil, just about everything you need to get rolling really.
If interested, email me at pas.x@hotmail.com and we can sort out the details.
Meanie.
Kevinorf

Post by Kevinorf »

Meanie - Vic inspired me to go back and try the Decisive Campaign Series but I'm sure I'll email you when I get back to Advanced Tactics - great game!

Vic, I successfully completed Second Kharkov and the first scenario in 1st Panzer Army in Case Blue. And I'm working on the Poland scenario in WtB. Gaining confidence to tackle one of the massive campaigns!
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

It is like heroin though, once you get hooked, nothing else can scratch this itch.

great quote about ATG --

+1
Mike
phatkarp

Post by phatkarp »

+2

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”