Kombrig mod

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Rander

RE: Kombrig mod

Post by Rander »

ORIGINAL: kombrig
Combat HQ's can't receive production from the cities/factories.
Administrative HQ's receive the production but the troops under their command suffer comabt penalty (this HQ are only for receive and send the production, form new units, etc.).

That will be an intermediate way between current situation and the harcore production option.

I think that arriving production should still have low readiness. Otherwise players simply start to place the production HQs near the frontline and will risk with the combat penalty.
No if you put a HUGE penalty.

The Jeffrey H. idea (make the production HQ's inmobile) is good too.

Bye.
Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

Immobile production HQ's = Hardcore Production Mod [:)]
Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

Guerillas
They don't need supplies (if readiness is lost they automatically recover it 30 points per turn). They are poor in combat even against regular rifles. Their combat value against infantry raises on next level but even level IV does not match rifles completely. All guerillas have bridge blowing points (upper levels have more) but not so much as special forces or engineers.
Guerillas are cheap. Lower levels cost less than rifles. Guerillas have 50 percent chance that a kill against them is turned into retreat. This is to simulate that they would try to avoid combat with superior forces.
Overpowered? I would build them as front line infantry instead of Rifle. Better recon (which is important now), cheaper, no supply cost, better survivability (I think), and access to blowing without  calling for engineers. Maybe they are too weak in combat, I'm not sure without tests, but I feel they will be OK (infantry is cannon fodder not damage dealer anyway).

Now Leaders are cheaper, because cities produces more PP. Not only more production but additionally more PP. You can recruit more leaders and use just the best of them. I don't know it is good or bad thing.
Same with formation cost. Normally formation is worth 5 Rifles. What is its cost now? Where can I download the mod?
kombrig

Post by kombrig »

I made some testing with level I guerillas and they were quite poor in combat. They have less hitpoints too. I believe that at least level I is hopelessly worthless on the frontlines. Although they survive (50 percent chance kill->retreat rule) they still died in rows. Maybe in the mountains they can put up some fight against regular troops.
all5n

Post by all5n »

sounds interesting. I will be willing to try it out when one of my other 3 games ends.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Madlok

Edit: No, wait. Higher levels are not heavier, because they have the same cost and supply consuming as lower levels. So I think unit mortar is combination of light and heavy mortars, and higher levels have just better accuracy etc.

I think mortars are too abstracted as it is. Mortars have no direct fire capability, so they are indirect and that I think defines them as rear area. The difference in smaller vs. larger is simply in the amount of explosive delivered in a fire mission. Also, the supply consumption should be proportionally higher.

The smaller mortars used by armies say <3"/75mm are really infantry weapons used in direct fire missions usually with LOS to the target. These are almost akin to rifle grenades. Part of a basic unit's carry supply, lower explosive delivery rate in time and lower supply consumption.

Which brings me to another thought.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
kombrig

Post by kombrig »

I am toying with idea of changing the whole concept of SFT composition. Instead of weapons there can be units (about battalion size). So a SFT called "Infantry" should be considered as a unit which has small arms, MGs, support weapons (mortars and infantry gun) component already in it. Infantry (mot) has also truck component in it; Infantry (Arm) has halftrack component. Light Recon Btl represents a mix of horse recon, bicycles, motorcycles. Armored recon Btl includes armored cars and/or halftracks. Artillery Btl can be either horse drawn or motorized etc. If unit is motorized it moves better but costs more raw an consumes more oil.

So instead of producing infantry+weapons+transport one will produce functional units.

The infantry research tree should include the possibility of upgrade small arms, MGs and AT weapons (one can choose in which order). So you may have Level I infantry with upgraded AT weapons or MGs or both etc. If all three have been upgraded then you have Level II Infantry and one can then again upgrade the all three components.

For example if one researches Infantry MG upgrade, then all the infantry units which have (theoreticaly) MG component can be produced with the upgraded MGs.

I have thinking also similar changes in armor and air research tree. Here's a visual representation of the armor research:

kombrig

Post by kombrig »

Here's my idea of units which can produced (only level I without any possible upgrades):

Infantry Btl I
Infantry Btl(mot) I
Infantry Btl(arm) I
Parachute I
Militia I
Guerilla I
Engineer I
Engineer (mot) I
Labour
Mountain Inf I

Artillery Btl I
Artillery Btl (mot) I
Hvy Artillery Btl I
Hvy Artillery Btl (mot) I
Med Mortar Btl
Med Mortar Btl (mot)
Hvy Mortar Btl
Hvy Mortar Btl (mot)

Anti-Tank Btl I
Anti-Tank Btl (mot) I

Lt Assault Gun Btl I
Med Assault Gun Btl I
Hvy Assault Gun Btl I

Lt Tank Destroyer Btl I
Med Tank Destroyer Btl I
Hvy Tank Destroyer Btl I

Lt Tank Btl I
Med Tank Btl I
Hvy Tank Btl I

Lt Flak Btl I
Lt Flak Btl I (mot)
Med Flak Btl I
Med Flak Btl (mot) I
Hvy Flak Btl I
Hvy Flak Btl (mot) I

Recon Btl (lt) I
Recon Btl (arm) I

Fighter Sqd I
Level Bomber Sgd I
Dive Bomber Sqd I
Strategic Bomber Sqd I
Torpedo Bomber Sqd I
Carrier Fighter Sqd I

Destroyer Group
Cruiser Group
Battleship Group
Carrier Group
Transport Ship Group
Submarine Group

Staff
Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

From our test mod game. Too many units on the field, too little staff limits for commanders. It force player to make many HQ very close to each other (many HQ on small area). I think it adds  nonsensical micromanagment.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Not sure if I agree with these sentiment. In the Military world there are lots of HQ's. HQ's for Companies HQ's Battalion's HQ,s Regiment's HQ's and so on, So in many ways there are way fewer in ATG than there are in say HOI. More units are better they represent how a real battle front would look and feel. War in the East, Korsun Pocket, in fact all of the second world war games have a high density of units. The exception could be say the campaign in North Africa that represents supply and Logistical problems for the antagonists. So far Koms mod has a more accurate feel to it.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

No readiness loss when unit changes HQ. This allows player to change HQ anytime. For example to closer HQ, or to prevent penalty for mixed HQ attack. He can even switch HQ before every attack and avoid staff limit!
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

There is a small readiness drop when transfering units quite accurate I feel. I am not sure why a transfer in command would have such a massive effect on combat readiness? We now have a officer system that also reflect a change in command. Also in this mod accruing combat readiness is almost 3 times slower to reflect the time between the forming of a new units/the recovery of combat damaged units and there optimum combat readiness again I think this is a vast improvement.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

kombrig

Post by kombrig »

No readiness loss when unit changes HQ. This allows player to change HQ anytime. For example to closer HQ, or to prevent penalty for mixed HQ attack. He can even switch HQ before every attack and avoid staff limit!

I guess a loss of readiness when changing HQ would be indeed appropriate. But I would make it only about minus 5 readiness points.
kombrig

Post by kombrig »

From our test mod game. Too many units on the field, too little staff limits for commanders. It force player to make many HQ very close to each other (many HQ on small area). I think it adds nonsensical micromanagment.

The solution is to rise the commanders staff limit. I haven't checked if this can be done by the editor. But it would be nice to have this option.
kombrig

Post by kombrig »

I myself feel too that this mod has much more the feel of for example the Soviet-Axis front than the "regular" ATG.

The war actually started with a massive strategic bombers attack on my capital which I failed to repulse although I had made some preparations.

I have used the strategic transfer to reinforce different fronts from my strategic reserve (which I created on the base of the rifles in my capital in the beginning of my turn).

Though one problem I see is the guerillas. Players (this includes me) tend to use them as a sneak force, but I intended them to be mass partisan movement in the territory conquered by the enemy. In my opinion somekind of block is needed against the use of them in the enemy home territory.
kombrig

Post by kombrig »

The solution is to rise the commanders staff limit. I haven't checked if this can be done by the editor. But it would be nice to have this option.

This can be actually done. Editor->Stringlists->officers algorithm->stack value. But I'm not sure if changing this value affects also some other feature...
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: kombrig

This can be actually done. Editor->Stringlists->officers algorithm->stack value. But I'm not sure if changing this value affects also some other feature...

?? I'm confusing Staff and Stack ??
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
kombrig

Post by kombrig »

It's actually called "stack" in the algorithm but it affects staff.
Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

I don't know is it a bug from mod or stock game.
I can't make any HQ. I have more than 5 PP for HQ without leader, but less than 67.

kombrig

Post by kombrig »

I haven't touched this. I believe I myself have encountered similar situation also in the stock game.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”