Forum Problems Download Attachments Not Working

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
RavenX

Forum Problems Download Attachments Not Working

Post by RavenX »

Hello all, I've been having some problems here on the forums that don't make much sense to me. Over on the Distant Worlds Modding forums I've found lots of cool stuff to download, often marked with just "Attachment (1" , but I can't ever download them. If I try to right-click and "save as" the only file type I can save as is a Htm file and not a zip or a rar as I think it should be. Also the email, PM, and buddy buttons don't do anything at all for me. Half of the links I try to open have to be opened in new tabs. It just seems like a lot of it isn't working.

Any help would be much appreciated. Everything on my end is updated. All my drivers, IE explorer, everything I can find is working good on my end and I don't seem to be having problems on any other sites I visit. Thanks for any info you can provide.

~ RavenX
What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere
VPaulus

RE: Forum Problems Download Attachments Not Working

Post by VPaulus »

You can also try the IE compatibility mode:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte ... w#ie=ie-10
RavenX

Post by RavenX »

I tried compatibility mode, still no luck. I'd really rather not have to install another browser though. Every time I try another browser aside from IE I end up not liking it and it tends to mess up the structure of my "Favorites". Not to mention all the instability issues and back-door hacks that having multiple browsers opens up on a system.

Anything else I'm missing? Something in my IE settings perhaps that's not so obvious? I upgraded to IE 10 this-morning but I was having these same issues with IE 9 as well. Mostly I find it odd that it's only happening to me here while other forums I visit like Stardock's work fine.

I appreciate the help, thank you VPaulus :)
What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere
RavenX

Post by RavenX »

Could SSL and TLS versions have anything to do with it?
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Regarding the attachments, you have to press the link with the left mouse button. If you use the right mouse option and select the "save as " feature you'll download an htm file and not the real file.

Could you please give me an example of a link(and the forum page) that you've to open in a new tab?

Regarding the pm, email and buddy buttons I don't have a clue why it's not working with your IE. I've just checked with my IE8 and they opened a new window as they were supposed to do.
ORIGINAL: RavenX

Could SSL and TLS versions have anything to do with it?
Don't think. But I can ask our web admin.
RavenX

Post by RavenX »

Sure no prob, here's one example from the Modding forums.

tm.asp?m=2827346

Near the bottom of the first post Kalthaniel has a link to download his ship sets. The link says: Kalthaniellstuff

Left-clicking on it does nothing, no new window opens, nothing. I press the "buddy" button on your name and it reloads the page, no pop-up. If I want to quote a forum user I have to right-click the quote button and it will open a reply box with the quote in a new window, but left-clicking the quote button does nothing.
RavenX

Post by RavenX »

I haven't tried with IE 8. I've been using 9 since it came out and as I said just this-morning upgraded to IE 10. Perhaps it's something to do with newer IE versions? I've checked all my advanced internet options and I don't see where there could be something stopping it. Let me check my pop-up blocker settings for this site and see if that helps. Usually when a pop-up is blocked though it tells me and it's not saying anything currently about blocking a pop-up.
RavenX

Post by RavenX »

DOH!!!! I found it....I feel stupid as hell now...LoL. When I upgraded IE versions it turned off the notice that a pop-up was blocked. The email and PM buttons work now as do the download links. I can't believe I didn't catch that....

Thanks for the help Paul, much appreciated brother. Sorry for wasting your time on my mistakes.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Glad to know that everything is working now. [:)]

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”