Any grogs playing this?

Assume the role of one of the best and most charismatic generals of World War II, George S. Patton, commanding the Third U.S. Army into historical conflicts from Normandy to Berlin along a Campaign composed of 21 different mission with varying objectives.
Redmarkus5

Any grogs playing this?

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Deathly quiet in the forum...
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
bairdlander2

RE: Any grogs playing this?

Post by bairdlander2 »

Doubtful,looks like a FPS.I love the last screenshot of a Sherman destroying a King Tiger [&:]
Aaron Slitherine

Post by Aaron Slitherine »

I can safely say this is NOT an FPS. We wouldn't do that to you guys :-)
Deadmoon

Post by Deadmoon »

Am i the only one that bought it? [:)]

I though it would attract many more players but no one is talking about it. Strange.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

opps wrong game
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: AaronYeung

I can safely say this is NOT an FPS. We wouldn't do that to you guys :-)

Care to elaborate? Is there a demo?
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Doubtful,looks like a FPS.I love the last screenshot of a Sherman destroying a King Tiger [&:]

With a shot to the frontal armor no less :)
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I bought the xbox version. Combat is turn based like xcom. It is very lite and has maybe a dozen scenerios. I got bored quick.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Funny how you own an Xbox but complain about games coming to the iPad. You make perfect sense now....
ORIGINAL: vonRocko

I bought the xbox version. Combat is turn based like xcom. It is very lite and has maybe a dozen scenerios. I got bored quick.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Sorry rogo, ipads still suck.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Well I'm a fan of ps3 also you have a problem with that too?[:D]

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I'm a fan also, but I'm talking about wargames. There isn't a real wargame for either one. So you love the ipad and I hate it. But,in your mind, You can have your opinion but I can't have mine. Have I ever suggested that anyone stop using their ipad? Just don't expect in depth games, just beer and pretzel fluff, like xbox and ps3.[;)]
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Lol agreed Von. Fine you don't care for iPads .. I don't see what the big deal is anyway. The games I want on my iPad are games I have on my PC . The only real wargame I ever played on a game consol was P.T.O for super nes. And P.T.O 2 was even still better. Battle of the bulge I will say is indepth and is a true wargame. I am really impressed with legion for the iPad . And while I can't wait for panzer corps to come out the new war hammer and commander the Great War games have me hooked on mobile gaming .

I'm a fan also, but I'm talking about wargames. There isn't a real wargame for either one. So you love the ipad and I hate it. But,in your mind, You can have your opinion but I can't have mine. Have I ever suggested that anyone stop using their ipad? Just don't expect in depth games, just beer and pretzel fluff, like xbox and ps3.[;)]
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

What I like:

The engine could be used to make a challenging turn-based (infantry tactics) game after a number of changes, the changes could include:
-Limiting the amount of shots after movement. Say, 1/2 after 1/2 movement points have been expended, possibly none at 100% movement points expended.
-Making AT weapons more powerful.
-Possibly: remove snipers.
-Limiting the range of weapons to units in LOS of the firing unit. Currently the player has a significant advantage because he can use his units to fire at targets the firing unit can't see.

I like being able to place my own "cone" for defensive fire, at a distance of my choosing.

What I don't like:

-AT weapons are way too weak.
-Victory levels seem to be based on the number of turns it takes you to finish a mission, instead of on number of enemies killed. This discourages playing with a small force of well trained troops. One mission took me 40 turns, mostly because a Tiger took forever to destroy.
-Vehicles don't have armour, just hitpoints that always decrease at the same rate it seems.

There's some weird stuff, like a typo in the name Cherbourg, the Dutch Flevoland province being present on the map even though it wasn't reclaimed from the IJsselmeer until after the war (that error is always rather comical to see for a Dutchman), the Garand being operated like it's a bolt action rifle and a peculiar choice of some units (Spanish Republicans?).

I was also surprised by the file size, 3.7 GB.

It is enjoyable, but it's clear that the game could be so much more than it is now.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Thanks for the commentary Comrade P.

Regarding the iPad debate, I play Battle Academy on the iPad and actually find that as good an experience as the PC, possibly better. Of course, I can play it for ten hours on trains or planes, rather then the 2.5 hours my laptop gives me!

I also downloaded a new iPad game called Bulge - it's a first effort but it really demonstrates what the potential is for good 2D military Apps on tablet devices.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I agree I also enjoy the bulge. People like to say iPads suck but if you ask them they don't own an iPad so please take with a grain of salt what they have to say about them.
ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Thanks for the commentary Comrade P.

Regarding the iPad debate, I play Battle Academy on the iPad and actually find that as good an experience as the PC, possibly better. Of course, I can play it for ten hours on trains or planes, rather then the 2.5 hours my laptop gives me!

I also downloaded a new iPad game called Bulge - it's a first effort but it really demonstrates what the potential is for good 2D military Apps on tablet devices.
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Well after doing some research now about 80% of matrix library would work just fine on the iPad.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

People like to say iPads suck but if you ask them they don't own an iPad so please take with a grain of salt what they have to say about them.

If someone (me) thinks ipads suck, why in the world would they (me) buy one? Do you make a habit of buying things you think suck?[&:]
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I am guessing you don't own an iPad and never had one in the first place. So yes I take with a grain of salt what you have to say about them. People fear what they don't know. But again I respect your opinion about the the iPad and it is in fact just your opinion that comes from a non using iPad member posting to the fact that iPads suck based on your years of using the iPad. People in general don't like change. When they see games coming to a platform they don't use or (have). They react in a manner such as yours. What a well informed and highly educated response in "iPads suck". Look at the numbers. BA is the best selling strategy game on the iPad. I imagine panzer corps will blow BA out of the water. If it hits on the android market I suspect the same results. The only problem I have with the iPad is its high price. Perhaps we should take this argument to the battle filed. We both love panzer corps how about a match?!?!?!?

People like to say iPads suck but if you ask them they don't own an iPad so please take with a grain of salt what they have to say about them.

If someone (me) thinks ipads suck, why in the world would they (me) buy one? Do you make a habit of buying things you think suck?[&:]
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Alright Rogo, I'm game![8D] I'll use my desktop and 40 inch screen, you get the ipad and squint![:D] I never played PK multiplayer, so I don't know what a good map for it is. You can pick, I'll play either side. PM me when it's ready and we'll play.

Return to “Legends of War”