Panzer Corps goes Greenlight

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

Philkian

Panzer Corps goes Greenlight

Post by Philkian »

We announced today we are launching a call to arms for all fans of the Panzer Corps series to help bring this masterpiece to the Steam distribution system.

Steam Greenlight has the potential to reach a complete new audience of strategy fans and help us spread the word. This move fits well with Slitherine's double edged approach: on one hand to develop and nurture the wargaming community by developing very specialized products and in the other expanding the audience with more accessible and popular titles on an increasing number of platforms.

“We realize the incredible potential of Steam to break the boundaries of our special interest audience and expand into the mass market.” Said JD McNeil, Chairman of the Slitherine Group. “Panzer Corps is by far the best suited product to achieve this result and has been the Slitherine Group’s best selling title over the past year".

To support the game, fans will have to vote here.

The Panzer Corps series landed on PC in July 2011, taking the strategy and wargaming markets by storm. With a stand-alone expansion and a 10 Grand Campaigns composed of 120 missions, the game has sold over 200,000 units worldwide and has been defined as "nothing short of brilliant" and a "hexagon dream", by the press.
Jestre

RE: Panzer Corps goes Greenlight

Post by Jestre »

I have absolutely no interest in any Steam game, nor will I put Steam client on my computer. Since in order to vote in this poll one must first register with Steam I am going to assume that the poll will be massively skewed toward supporting the Steam route.

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Jestre

I have absolutely no interest in any Steam game, nor will I put Steam client on my computer. Since in order to vote in this poll one must first register with Steam I am going to assume that the poll will be massively skewed toward supporting the Steam route.

Dear Lord, I never do understand the anti-Steam crowd. I have been using Steam for years and I have never had a problem Just what is your problem with steam??
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Velihopea

Post by Velihopea »

Good news!
Since in order to vote in this poll one must first register with Steam I am going to assume that the poll will be massively skewed toward supporting the Steam route.

I think you have missed the purpose of this vote. Decision to go to steam has already been made by Slitherine, its about steam users voting games they want to see in steam

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Velihopea

Good news!
Since in order to vote in this poll one must first register with Steam I am going to assume that the poll will be massively skewed toward supporting the Steam route.

I think you have missed the purpose of this vote. Decision to go to steam has already been made by Slitherine, its about steam users voting games they want to see in steam

I have absolutely no interest in any Steam game, nor will I put Steam client on my computer.

Which part of the above quote did I NOT understand. What is the problem with putting Steam on a computer?????
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Jestre

Post by Jestre »

ORIGINAL: parusski

Dear Lord, I never do understand the anti-Steam crowd. I have been using Steam for years and I have never had a problem Just what is your problem with steam??

Many of us "anti-Steam crowd" dont like having to have "our" game that we paid for subject to online checks. We also dont like to have to have a client that many have had problems with installed on our computers. We also dont like the idea that if something happens to Steam then all our games purchased thru them are worthless.... I have stopped buying games such as Civ and TW because they switched to steam only distribution, I can only hope that Slitherine doesnt go that route.

Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

It does not mean we abandon our own shops, for those who like Steam it is a much requested wish, for those who don`t like Steam, buy from us direct! We will never abandon our core community and personal service.

We see it as a possible extra route to get to a greater audience and see if we can attract more main stream gamers to this underestimated and wonderful niche of wargamers!
Velihopea

Post by Velihopea »

Which part of the above quote did I NOT understand. What is the problem with putting Steam on a computer?????

Sorry parusski, the reply was to Jestre. I've been typing too much on a games forum where the reply buttons are below the post you want to reply to, not above
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Upvoted of course.
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

Of course I'm going to support PzC on Greenlight even when I think it's beneath you. I have no doubt you will be Greenlight fast. Just don't sell yourself short. Steam is about quick cash, but I don't need to tell you strategy games tend to sell steady. Rather than COD like games that sell high first and then fall flat. I recommend to avoid pimping yourself out on the first Steam sale.

May I recommend that you create a Official Steam group soon for Panzer Corps and or Slitherine Games. Fill it out with all kind of information about your studio, person behind it, website, importand links and community manager contacts. If you do it, than do it right. I checked out the 3 Steam profiles of the entities that created the PzC Greenlight entry and all profiles are just blank. This doesn't look very professional. If the game get greenlight most Steam user will communicate to you via Steam forums and never come here or to the Slitherine forums. So give VPaulus an extra paycheck because we will have a field day answering question, posting stickies for FAQ, common issues, etc. . :)

I'm a heavy Steam user. I got hundredths of games on Steam but I amm not a fan of Steam either. The internet is unreliable and so is every service that relies on it. The requirement to have internet connection to install games and from time to time update subscriptions otherwise games start to fail in offline mode is annoying. I hate if my ability to use things depends on others. And god have mercy on you if you don't have a broadband connection. I found out on a boot that even in offline mode you need go eventually online to verify your subscription license or the games fail to start. Let me tell you maritime satellite internet does not come cheap or fast for this matter. Steam really need a lite mode for this cases and a toggle to turn off automatic updates for all games at once.

But the biggest issue for me is online-DRM. I grew up in a time where you bought a game at the store in a box and you owned it. Of course the game itself was still a license but the physical goods are yours forever.
If I want to play it, I just take out the box, install the game and there I go. No internet required, no login, no subscriptions, no authorization, no services, no install limits. Just play and have fun. Nowadays I feel patronized by all this online services as if it's a privilege to give them my money.
All this restriction that came with online DRM I lost respect for games. I no longer feel I own them, and thus I no longer willing to pay full price. Which is funny because I'm no longer a teenager or kid. The times where I was struggling for money are long gone and yet I got stingy buying games online.
Today I think most games are not worth more than 20 bucks, especially if they require account binding like Steamwork games. I completely avoid games with install limits or single player games with permanent online requirement. I only buy titles on sales or discounts. There are only a very few exceptions to this like Matrix games, a few Paradox titles and Skyrim.
The twist is I spend the last year more money on Kickstarter games than I would ever pay for a major publisher title. In average I invested 120 bucks per project that I backed and I am now at 8 projects. I can't explain it, but it feels so easy and right to give them my money and I have no regrets about it.

So in conclusion Steam is good by saving me money with all it sales( daily deals, midweek sale, weekend sale, week long sale, spring sale, summer sale, black Friday sale, Christmas sale...), bad side is I lost respect for games. I no longer buy games at launch day instead I wait usually 6 month or longer if buy them at all. Exceptions prove the rule. WITP-AE :D
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Once they have a sale, it should sell very well. I will probably buy the Steam "collection" just to have as a backup should my hard drive fail.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Dragoon

Of course I'm going to support PzC on Greenlight even when I think it's beneath you. I have no doubt you will be Greenlight fast. Just don't sell yourself short. Steam is about quick cash, but I don't need to tell you strategy games tend to sell steady. Rather than COD like games that sell high first and then fall flat. I recommend to avoid pimping yourself out on the first Steam sale.

May I recommend that you create a Official Steam group soon for Panzer Corps and or Slitherine Games. Fill it out with all kind of information about your studio, person behind it, website, importand links and community manager contacts. If you do it, than do it right. I checked out the 3 Steam profiles of the entities that created the PzC Greenlight entry and all profiles are just blank. This doesn't look very professional. If the game get greenlight most Steam user will communicate to you via Steam forums and never come here or to the Slitherine forums. So give VPaulus an extra paycheck because we will have a field day answering question, posting stickies for FAQ, common issues, etc. . :)

I'm a heavy Steam user. I got hundredths of games on Steam but I amm not a fan of Steam either. The internet is unreliable and so is every service that relies on it. The requirement to have internet connection to install games and from time to time update subscriptions otherwise games start to fail in offline mode is annoying. I hate if my ability to use things depends on others. And god have mercy on you if you don't have a broadband connection. I found out on a boot that even in offline mode you need go eventually online to verify your subscription license or the games fail to start. Let me tell you maritime satellite internet does not come cheap or fast for this matter. Steam really need a lite mode for this cases and a toggle to turn off automatic updates for all games at once.

But the biggest issue for me is online-DRM. I grew up in a time where you bought a game at the store in a box and you owned it. Of course the game itself was still a license but the physical goods are yours forever.
If I want to play it, I just take out the box, install the game and there I go. No internet required, no login, no subscriptions, no authorization, no services, no install limits. Just play and have fun. Nowadays I feel patronized by all this online services as if it's a privilege to give them my money.
All this restriction that came with online DRM I lost respect for games. I no longer feel I own them, and thus I no longer willing to pay full price. Which is funny because I'm no longer a teenager or kid. The times where I was struggling for money are long gone and yet I got stingy buying games online.
Today I think most games are not worth more than 20 bucks, especially if they require account binding like Steamwork games. I completely avoid games with install limits or single player games with permanent online requirement. I only buy titles on sales or discounts. There are only a very few exceptions to this like Matrix games, a few Paradox titles and Skyrim.
The twist is I spend the last year more money on Kickstarter games than I would ever pay for a major publisher title. In average I invested 120 bucks per project that I backed and I am now at 8 projects. I can't explain it, but it feels so easy and right to give them my money and I have no regrets about it.

So in conclusion Steam is good by saving me money with all it sales( daily deals, midweek sale, weekend sale, week long sale, spring sale, summer sale, black Friday sale, Christmas sale...), bad side is I lost respect for games. I no longer buy games at launch day instead I wait usually 6 month or longer if buy them at all. Exceptions prove the rule. WITP-AE :D

Well! You sure shut me down.[;)] Very cogent and persuasive argument Dragoon.[&o]
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

Well! You sure shut me down.[;)] Very cogent and persuasive argument Dragoon.[&o]

What you actually read this rambling wall of text? Now I'm blushed, but then again you prove style by having James Coburn as your avatar. [8D]
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

No problem at all with selling on Steam too-- I own a few games thru Steam. HOWEVER, I have also had problems using Steam in "offline mode" in the past. When the Steam app "breaks", you are stuck until they fix it-- you have no recourse to play the game. I couldn't play Civ V for a couple of months last year because of this. So please don't stop selling as you do now. I have a nice little digital library with all my downloads & serial numbers, and I am not dependent on any third party to play games I have purchased. Guess my bottom line is that Steam is not a deal-breaker for me, but it's definitely a "negative", and I have to REALLY want a game to go that route.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Nor do I..I on the other hand have no interest in PC..but will vote....WOW over 200,000 units that is a HUGE seller..I had a feeling it's what put SLitherine in the position it's in today.

Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

We have no plans whatsoever to do Steam exclusive game projects, all our products will always be available through our own digital online shops and always will be.

So for those who like Steam can use it, if we get there at all, for those who don`t like Steam just buy from us direct as you have always done.
Jestre

Post by Jestre »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

We have no plans whatsoever to do Steam exclusive game projects, all our products will always be available through our own digital online shops and always will be.

So for those who like Steam can use it, if we get there at all, for those who don`t like Steam just buy from us direct as you have always done.

Thats reassuring [:)]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

We have no plans to make any games in the Matrix/Slitherine/Ageod line up exclusive to Steam. We were doing digital downloads long before Steam and will be doing them long after! :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
parusski

Post by parusski »

Lord Zimoa:

This is a great way to bring in a new group of players.

Dragoon:
What you actually read this rambling wall of text? Now I'm blushed, but then again you prove style by having James Coburn as your avatar.

Rambling it may have been but it made some sense. As to my style, yes I have lot's of it, because you are all counting on me.
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Voted.

Return to “Panzer Corps”