Basic info on War in the West 43-45

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

elmo3

RE: Basic info on War in the West 43-45

Post by elmo3 »

Full game.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
aphrochine

Post by aphrochine »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Can't wait for this game.

I'm a bit suprised, however, that these new games (WITW series) will be using more the WITE system than the WITPAE one. Considering the success it had and the level of appreciation that still gets by the gallery, i don't understand why WITPAE hasn't been used as the "core" from where to develop this new game.
Some of the BTR ideas and a more detailed land combat system (even if i believe the recent "field" modifications - say the DaBabes mods + Michealm's patches - have greatly improved the landwarfare), along with the naval-locistic witpae system, could "easily" make a great game.

However i know you guys know your job, so i'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks!!

+1

...and I like 1 day turns!!!
VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy
Dili

Post by Dili »

Follows a lame Me too. :)
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Any idea as to what quarter the game will be released or when it will have it's own forum?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

Any idea as to what quarter the game will be released or when it will have it's own forum?

It's still in alpha AFAIK so no decision on either of your questions yet.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
randallw

Post by randallw »

Back in the days of [i}Western Front[/i] there was a severe experience penalty when an Allied tank unit switched over to the Firefly. Now whether or not the gamer will be allowed to manually swap equipment, is this high penalty still going to exist for WitW?
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Has the AI's use of the 'carpet defence' (10 unit deep Soviet carpets) been addressed in WitW? A carpet like that in NW France will simply be ridiculous.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
von Runstedt

Post by von Runstedt »

Actually Normandy was the largest amphibious landing in history, second largest invasion in history after Barbarossa
Liam Bobyak
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Are V1 rockets going to be in the game? 22,000 poeple in England were killed by these weopons and they also tied down allot of fighter planes.

over 100 per day were launched starting 6 days after D-Day.

The V-2 did far more damage and tied up allot more bombers.

This should be reflexed some how in witw.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4
Has the AI's use of the 'carpet defence' (10 unit deep Soviet carpets) been addressed in WitW? A carpet like that in NW France will simply be ridiculous.
What are they going to carpet with? After Operation Cobra the German divisions were so beaten up that keeping them single-stacked is just going to allow Patton to Hasty-Attack his way across the Rhine.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

V-weapon sites and factories are political targets that must be attacked by air or captured or you suffer a victory point hit.

As for carpets, I'm not seeing them in the game at this point, but it's still early. There are many differences between the games rules and between the fronts. More changes are also under consideration depending on how things progress in testing.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
ArtDen

Post by ArtDen »

Plz, show us new pictures, we want to see the progress of this great game! And if it could be done especially new elements of airwar and Normandy. Thanks.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

We're just now getting started with an artist for the map and the interface changes, so pictures will have to wait for several months.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: Dili
Plus there are no naval actions that require the detail that AE does.

What? Husky was just the biggest naval invasion ever.

Did it take over a week to land and get ashore [&:]? That is seven turns in AE. Even at D-Day after a week, the Allies had captured the invasion hexes. This is what I was refering to as invasions do not need the level of detail that AE requires.

The issue with the replay in AE is after watching obver 1,000 turns of many, many, actions, of which 99% are air raids or sub/Asw attacks, you are not really learning a lot about your opponent on the 999th turn that you were not aware of by turn 100. I'd much rather the dev time spent on game functionality and UI than adding in a replay ability. Especially since the vast majority of players will be playing against the AI.
Akmatov

Post by Akmatov »

This looks to be a very interesting game. I have to comment on how excellent it is to see the frequent and informative comments coming from the game designers. And you guy are a LOT more patient with silliness than I could ever be. :)
Dili

Post by Dili »

Did it take over a week to land and get ashore ? That is seven turns in AE.

Irrelevant. If it matters for the player a certain detail of ship combat, air combat then daily turns - absent a new concept of constant time advance until a certain level of occurrence then yes.

Actually Normandy was the largest amphibious landing in history

The span of Husky was from mid Southern Sicily to the Eastern Coast much bigger than Normandy. Husky had 2 more divisions than D day.

http://books.google.pt/books?id=QNkL8V7 ... ky&f=false
cardolan

Post by cardolan »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Just to clear things up, WitW will still be IGOUGO, however, there are significant changes with a unique air phase for resolution of most types of air missions, as well as special sequencing for amphibious invasions that are ordered in one player turn and resolved during the next player's player turn.

Does this mean that the final War in Europe game will be fully WEGO? Or are you going to keep the IGOUGO as in WitE?

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

WitW and WitE 2.0 will have an IGOUGO ground movement/combat system, and a simultanious execution phase (1 in each player turn) for resolution of the air war. Invasions are ordered during the player's movement phase, but land at the start of the defending player's turn (as do paradrops that are in support of invasions). As for the final War in Europe, assuming we get that far, I would assume it will be just like WitW and WitE but with an even more detailed naval element.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
cardolan

Post by cardolan »

What about production? Are you planning to give more freedom to the player on this field?

Sorry about all the questions. I know it is difficult to answer while the game is still being made. Loved WitE and really excited with your "War in X" series. Some screenies would help with the wait [:D]
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

There are some changes with production, but we are not increasing player control in the WitW 43-45 game. We're starting to get more final artwork into the game so hopefully over the next few months we'll be able to start showing some screens.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”