War in the East Q&A

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Joel Billings

RE: War in the East Q&A

Post by Joel Billings »

That's the only benefit I know of.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
newmanovci

Post by newmanovci »

Okay, thanks Joel. By the way, fantastic game. REALLY enjoying it! [:)]
Robak

Post by Robak »

Another question from my side, is there possibility to see the battles conducted by the AI? After the AI turn I see report and 10k casualties but I cannot see any window similar to one that I see during my attack.
Edit: Maybe this is because I suppose Axis forces are not attacked by Soviets, but I'm wondering why in this case I've got 10k casualties.
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

you can try F11 (battle report) to see if there was action
probably only attrition (patrol, illness, accident ...)
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Did someone establish that a leader's infantry rating impacts cavalry units rather than the mech rating?
Jagdfluger

Post by Jagdfluger »

I conducted a test to see whether heavily damaged Soviet factories are able to be evacuated, and, if so, what damage they would have after evacuation.

I evacuated armament, vehicle and aircraft factories, all with over 50% damage from enemy action. After evacuation of all factories (which is permitted in full), all factories were at 50% damage. In other words, evacuating a heavily damaged factory over hundreds and thousands of miles actually helped to significantly repair the factory in question.

Is this a bug or intended by the game designers? It seems like there should be some penalty to reflect that what the Soviets are moving (machine tools, etc.) have been heavily damages due to air attack or shelling.

Thanks!
Jim
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

it's working as design
if you move all of a factory it will have 50% damage, if only a part damage will be greater
from the last patch a moved factoty is "locked" for 20 turns (from memory)
as long as there is damage on a factory there is a possibility that it will not produce
furthermore will not "grow" before damage équal zero
Jagdfluger

Post by Jagdfluger »

Thanks for your response. But does it make sense for the game to lower the damage done to factory by the mere fact of moving it? For example, if a 99% damaged T-34 factory is moved from Kharkov to the east, it would immediately be a 50% damaged factory.
Jim
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

I see that 2x3's home screen is listing an expansion pak for WitE as in development. Wonderful, but is this the outcome for v 2.0? Hope not, but welcome the new scenarios.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

WitE 2.0 is something we plan on getting to after WitW is completed. The expansion pack for WitE is a new scenario pack with 11 new scenarios.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I cannot seem to combine rifle brigades into divisions which it says I can do from the start....When December came by I could combine cavalry divisions into a Corp at some Admin costs....but not rifle brigades...and I have enough admin points to do the combine...what am I missing.
Same hex, same Command Army (within 3 hexes of HQ), enough admin points but cannot combine rifle brigades, and in SUPPLY???? HELP!
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

One of the patches changed the forming of divisions from brigades to may 1942.
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

v1.03 Beta 2 - January 21, 2011
Naval Rifle Brigades may be used to create Rifle Corps.
Restricted Soviet Rifle brigades so they can’t merge into Rifle Divisions prior to May-1942.

There are a quite number of changes in the game. Leo's done an excellent job on are adding those in red text in the updated living manual. I suggesting making a link to it/opening it manually as u dont open that via the game menu, default is always the original manual.

Name of the file is: WITE-Manual-[US_LETTER]
and is located in manual folder of the game.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

P.S CF beat me too it, man it take me long to type a 10 line post.....
morvael

Post by morvael »

What is the difference between Effect and Blast for weapons? Some guns (even in the same class) have both, some have only one.

Also, why do some weapons have load cost and the others do not?
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

+1
WPO/Field of Glory-2/TOAW
OddBall2

Post by OddBall2 »

Joel
Can the game be downloaded to a Samsung Android tablet? Live 1/2 mile from the beach in Myrtle Beach S.C. Summer is coming on and hard choices are going to have to be made on the Weekends. Taking the game to the beach would be fantastic. Is it possible?
Michael J. Keohane
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I don't know about the Android. I'd ask in the main area of the WitE forum and/or even on the general tech support forum. Does it run PC software?

As for the earlier questions re weapons, Jim Wirth would be the best person to answer it. You might PM him.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I don't know about the Android. I'd ask in the main area of the WitE forum and/or even on the general tech support forum. Does it run PC software?

As for the earlier questions re weapons, Jim Wirth would be the best person to answer it. You might PM him.

Joel, the WitE would not run on Android (i.e. Google OS)... new tablets that run on Microsoft Windows 8 (but NOT RT which is for ARM architecture and not PC Intel x86 architecture) are different story though... [;)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Balou

Post by Balou »

Don't remember whether it has been asked before: how comes that pioneers (and construction Bns) have to be assigned manually, while all other SUs may benefit from the possibility of automated transfer. What's so special about pioneers ?
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
Rommel76

Post by Rommel76 »

Hello, I have a question about fuel consumption is when we talk about the characteristics of fuel consumption, e.g. fuel use 9 means that if you complete 100% movement points consumes 9 ?, or is the average consumption of a shift ?.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”