Build 4.4.257 Feedback

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

MorningDew

RE: UNIT completely stuck

Post by MorningDew »

I love Win8
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: AndrewKurtz

I love Win8

Someone has to;) it's the implications of Win 8 thats worrying. The slow move towards a closed platform, which will take away the best thing about the PC..it being an open platform. A fair few developers aren't that keen and they are the ones I listen too.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Have to agree with wodin, another attempt of Bill's Boys AKA Army of Darkness to enslave the world and reach world domination.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Have to agree with wodin, another attempt of Bill's Boys AKA Army of Darkness to enslave the world and reach world domination.

Right. Unlike Apple and Google:)

My company does custom software development. Would be interested to know why it is becoming "a closed platform". We don't see that.

But regardless and back to what's important, looking forward to the next BotB patch[;)]
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66
Right. Unlike Apple and Google:)

Andrew, do you have any thoughts you might want share about the newer Visual Studio?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Yeh like does it overcome the dreadfull Iterator Debugging issue where if the option is turned off you can't see strings in the debugger and if it's turned on you can see strings and hence read the names of objects, which is pretty useful, but alas the application runs as slow as treacle.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
loyalcitizen

Post by loyalcitizen »

Using the latest patch and playing Cracking the Goose Egg as Germans.
I have several unattached arty and neb batteries near Wallmerath.
I'm trying to consolidate commands, so I try to loop 6 of them together, so I can better concentrate their fire. Every time I loop them together and try to issue a Defend order, the game crashes to desktop. Every time (tried 12).
Do you need a save game or is this something of which you are aware?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Send save mate..think it's not been mentioned before.
CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I love Win8

Someone has to;) it's the implications of Win 8 thats worrying. The slow move towards a closed platform, which will take away the best thing about the PC..it being an open platform. A fair few developers aren't that keen and they are the ones I listen too.

Ah Gabe, perhaps you are listening to the wrong people. Win8 is a superior OS to Win7: why wouldn't you use it. The developer debate is bunkum; the desktop, and games (like CmdOps) that run there, will not be closed.

TANX
I decided to ignore my orders and to take command at the front with my own hands as soon as possible
- Lieutenant General Erwin Rommel
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: loyalcitizen

Using the latest patch and playing Cracking the Goose Egg as Germans.
I have several unattached arty and neb batteries near Wallmerath.
I'm trying to consolidate commands, so I try to loop 6 of them together, so I can better concentrate their fire. Every time I loop them together and try to issue a Defend order, the game crashes to desktop. Every time (tried 12).
Do you need a save game or is this something of which you are aware?
This is news to me. Please send a save. Thanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
wodin

Post by wodin »

Not Just Gabe..even Iain if I remember isn't keen. Notch is another. Jim who develops and runs RPS another. Win7 is stable and designed for the PC a superb OS that was easy good enough. Win 8 was designed for tablets..no more need be said.
CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Not Just Gabe..even Iain if I remember isn't keen. Notch is another. Jim who develops and runs RPS another. Win7 is stable and designed for the PC a superb OS that was easy good enough. Win 8 was designed for tablets..no more need be said.

And you've used it loads? Those guys are just worried there revenues might be affected, I say FUD. The UI WAS perhaps partly designed for tablets. I hardly ever use the "metro" side (apart form on my Surface). you 'll be crying "no start button" next...never used it in Win98, XP, Vista, 7: the win-key is the future. If you used Win8 you could try win-key and start typing the name of the app you are looking for...it just works.

Oh, and CmdOps runs quite a bit BETTER on Win8, and to be quite honest, that IS the most important thing.
I decided to ignore my orders and to take command at the front with my own hands as soon as possible
- Lieutenant General Erwin Rommel
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I'm on widows 8 and hate it.

In fact I hate it so much I've gone and bought an ipad and a Chrome book and two windows 7 netbooks (only 179.99 from Argos and includes Word and Excel). I'll have to stick to win 8 for my games but microsoft has really pissed me off with this purple tablet flashing squares and millions of app boxes in an unco-ordinated mess. Fortunately my main work laptop is Win 7 and I'll archive the netbooks until I need them.

Didn't microsoft get rid of the bloke responsible for win 8 - sodoffsky or somesuch. ?
wodin

Post by wodin »

yes they did.

I think the thread has derailed here..sorry Dave.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

What was it about again? [;)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

It was about turning off the Autosave feature as that seemed to solve the majority of my issues with the latest patch.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

It was about turning off the Autosave feature as that seemed to solve the majority of my issues with the latest patch.

I don't have any problems with the game slowing when saving. Not that I have noticed anyway.
I find the auto save very useful and would hate to lose it.

Think my system is a bit better than yours though so maybe that makes a difference?

Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB

I also have one of them solid state hard drive things, which I believe is quite fast at accessing, and saving data so maybe that is why I am not experiencing this problem?
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I have been getting a lot of this random crashing lately.

It seems to happen often when dragging an artillery fire order to a new location, or especially when pressing delete key to cancel the order.

I have a save that a crash will happen soon after, but still can't replicate the exact sequence for it to happen, but soon after the save, within a game hour of giving normal orders it will crash at some point. Let me know if you want it sent.

I'm going to revert back to the released version until you have the next beta ready, as its getting a bit annoying.

Thanks for you excellent on going support, for this amazing game Dave.

Daz
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

I did a get on Miquel's fixes to the UI this evening. They all compiled OK and I've just finished a test of the tutorial issuing orders aplenty for the first two days. I had no crashes....it's looking good. So a new build won't be far away.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Renato

Post by Renato »

In my opinion, the order cancellation bug, which is present from v4.4.255, is pretty irksome and may negatively affect the play, especially if painfully realistic delay orders are adopted.

At present, I don't have a recent and repeatable save, but it happens quite often and should be easily visible.
I suggest to remove it, if possible.

Return to “Command Ops Series”