Returning after long break

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

gargoil

Returning after long break

Post by gargoil »

I guess its been a couple years since I last played WitE. I remember burning out in my first game. I want to play again, but I want to let the AI take care of some things to easy my burden.

Let's see, am I correct here:

1) AI can run Air War (I have to move Airfields)
2) AI can move aircraft between fields and reinforce from production.
3) AI can move Support Elements and reinforce those as well.

What else am I missing?

BTW, not only do I feel this will help me not burn out, but could lead to a more challenging game vs the AI.
buchand

RE: Returning after long break

Post by buchand »

Lovely to hear from someone who doesn't want to pilot individual support planes [:D]
Assuming your intending to play Axis I would keep control of the support units, leave the air war to the AI and let loose the dogs of war!
Plan? What plan? Attack!!
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: buchand

Lovely to hear from someone who doesn't want to pilot individual support planes [:D]
Assuming your intending to play Axis I would keep control of the support units, leave the air war to the AI and let loose the dogs of war!

I complete understand the power of having control of the support units. But I am looking to even the odds against the Russian AI. So I am looking to play less "optimumly", not more.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Whether Sov or Axis, AI does OK with support units and air. Giving AI its head does make play more fun. Things like amphibious attacks, sea-borne support, paratroops are beyond what I do for the game. But as experience grows I'm trying more things that seemed distractions at first. Currently using the "handicapping" factors for game balance to make it interesting. My side running @90 and the other @110, and so forth.

Glad you're enjoying the game.
chasman

Post by chasman »

Another player returning after a year-long break from the game. I'm curious whether the AI has changed at all. What is an appropriate difficulty setting for a campaign game, playing either side? Looking for a setting that will challenge without being ridiculously hard. Is "Challenging" ok, or are there generally preferred manual settings?
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

Playing the German side "Challenging" should provide you a good game. As the Soviets you will want to go even further, perhaps with the German AI at least at 115 morale setting.
chasman

Post by chasman »

Thanks. Playing the Sv at 100 with the Axis AI at 120. I prefer to boost AI without handicapping myself. If it gets boring I'll boost the other side more.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”