yea

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

prototek

yea

Post by prototek »

listverse.com/2011/04/04/top-10-worst-aircraft-of-world-war-2/

Found this kind of interesting and funny.
wdolson

RE: 10 Worst aircraft of WWII

Post by wdolson »

Kind of hard to come up with such a list. Some of the planes on the list were known to be obsolete at the beginning of the war and were pressed into service because their replacements weren't ready yet. Others were new concept aircraft that had a lot of bugs that were never worked out before the war ended.

Interesting list though. I would agree that everything on the list had serious problems.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Interesting list.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I certainly could have guessed at a number of them being on the list, some others not... but interesting. Thanks. Hal
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Comments about the Blackburn Botha
One test pilot noted “that thing is bloody lethal, but not to the Germans, I never want to see it again”. Another famous quote “access to this aircraft is difficult. It should be made impossible” is also frequently attributed
[:D]
Dili

Post by Dili »

I disagree with Devastator. I would say that for example Bulton Paul Defiant had a place in that list also in Italians which i know more the SM-85 dive bomber which could not dive...
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Did a TBD ever hit an enemy warship in anger (not counting falling airplane parts)?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Did a TBD ever hit an enemy warship in anger (not counting falling airplane parts)?
If kamikazes count then falling parts have to count.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I have trouble with some of the aircraft on the list; mainly on those that were old/ obsolete by WW2 (TBD for example) or non-aircraft (Okha "smart" missile)
NormS3

Post by NormS3 »

I do believe that TBDs did hit the Shoho in the opening stages of the Coral Sea. Granted it was after the SBDs had wrecked her.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Well to be fair, it was probably more the lousy torpedo than the plane. The TBD was designed in 35 and went into service in 37. At the time it was probably the most advanced plane of it's type. But war brings about change a lot faster than peace. What was excellent in 37 was often obsolete in 41.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

ORIGINAL: Norm3

I do believe that TBDs did hit the Shoho in the opening stages of the Coral Sea. Granted it was after the SBDs had wrecked her.

TBD torpedoes dit hit SHOHO. The following is an excerpt of a forthcoming TROM's revision:

"At 0855, SHOHO is attacked by the US airstrike. Turning hard to port, the carrier dodges the first three bombs. The next three attacking SBDs are engaged by 2 A5M4 and abort their attack. One SBD is shot down. At 0917, 3 A6M2 take off and head to the next US attacking planes: 15 VB-2 SBDs. One 1,000-lb bomb hit the carrier just in front of the aft elevator. A second bomb hits SHOHO near the same location. Next to attack are VT-2 TBDs: a torpedo hits the carrier’s stern at starboard destroying the steering gear; a second one hits amidships port side; then a third one, near the bow. In quick succession SHOHO is hit by another two torpedoes. She goes dead in the water and is devastated by several fires. US aircraft losses account for one “Dauntless” from YORKTOWN and two from LEXINGTON. SHOHO’s six CAP fighters lose three aircraft including 1 A6M2, the other three make ditch landings off Deboyne Island’s seaplane base. In total, the light carrier is overwhelmed, and struck by a reported total of seven torpedoes and thirteen bombs in the space of twenty-three minutes...

Gilbert

Edit: spelling !
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

The list is far from accurate, there were a lot of aircraft worse than these, maybe less publicity about them (No Amiot's made the list, the 410 was a failure but amongst the 10 worst??, Wirraway as a combat aircraft, YB40 & YB41????)

We need a poll, or get Warspite1 to run one.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

The TBD attack on the Shoho was considered to be one of the best "in combat" examples of the classic torpedo squadron anvil attack tactics. They performed quite well that time - even if she was already damaged.
fair winds,
Brad
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

What about the F5F Chickenhawk, built to replace the F4F in 1943?

F5F-

Attachments
300pxChri..s_Bullet.jpg
300pxChri..s_Bullet.jpg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 388 times
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
NormS3

Post by NormS3 »

I always wondered what the nickname was for the F5F! [:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

What about the F5F Chickenhawk, built to replace the F4F in 1943?

F5F-

Or the SBRD (Silent But Really Deadly) dive bomber?

Attachments
LeBris1868.jpg
LeBris1868.jpg (55.23 KiB) Viewed 386 times
prototek

Post by prototek »

I never knew about this late-war Japanese aircraft....scroll down to the "KAKAKA "SHIRLEY" AMPHIBIOUS PEDAL-BOMBER" in the link

http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/Major ... 0Bixby.htm
Dili

Post by Dili »

If Devastator was obsolete what to say about Swordfish? Besides we should not forget that WW2 started in 1939 not in late 1941...
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Swordfish was also obsolete... but it had a working torpedo

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”