Why is Cherbourg not a port?

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

MarkWayneClark

Why is Cherbourg not a port?

Post by MarkWayneClark »

I suppose it nets out OK in the end by making Caen a port but it's strange that one of the most important channel ports, and one of the most important in the war, is not a port on the big map. Though it is on the little map used for the Overloard scenario.
doomtrader

RE: Why is Cherbourg not a port?

Post by doomtrader »

We have found that the Allies will have to great advantage after the invasion if this location will become a port.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

also encourages use of the mulberry, to reflect the three week period when cherbourg was unusable.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Hoping to mod GD to move Caen inland and make Cherbourg a port, put Channel Islands under German control, also increase the life of Mulberry harbours (wish the editor was easier to use), the allies should not have a great advantage, especially when playing against the AI.

Haven't got round to it yet, deeply into my present game and waiting for official 1.04, Doomtrader when might it be ready. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

It was a critical port it was and was fortified and defended. Rather than take one of the major ports 'off the map' I recommend you handle it differently. As it was a very significant port it should be included. To handle play balance as well as historical accuracy issues perhaps fortification (and a garrison for the AI) is a more appropriate way to handle it.

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

We have found that the Allies will have too great an advantage after the invasion if this location is a port. (Quote edited for clarity)
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

This would have to take some testing. The AI would have to be fortified to the max. Then it would have to be a fixed Corps with General.

Plus there is another trick I could implement to make it very difficult.

You should check out the Third Reich as you have to conquer Norway and the AI counter attacks.

As Allies the German AI attacks and does well. It takes allot of time to develop things like this, especially without other testers.

You have to get the right combination down and parameters settings.

Some day I will look at this and perhaps add it to the Third Reich.

It took awhile to implement Operation Betasome.

Return to “Time of Fury”