Headquarter question

This revised and updated turn-based grand strategy game from the team at AGEOD brings players back to World War I, including both the Eastern and Western fronts and over 4 campaigns and 10 scenarios. As either a member of the Central Powers, the Entente or a neutral nation, players will confront the epic gauntlet of military and political challenges that faced the likes of Kitchener, Joffre, Luddendorf, Clemenceau, Czar Nicholas II or Enver Pasha.
jcrohio

Headquarter question

Post by jcrohio »

Tyring to get back into the game - have a quick question

All the HQ units say something like HQ V - 13

What does the 13 mean?

Thanks
Jack
Jack
Randomizer

RE: Headquarter question

Post by Randomizer »

It is just an identifier and is used by the Detachments.csv file for the scenario being played. It allows the game to differentiate between the HQ itself and detachments under command of the HQ. For example from the ...*\GrandCampaignTwo\Detachments.csv file: Each detachment has a unique identifier number.

RUS_WP_Nicholas;RUS_HQ5;505013;HQ V - 13;DT_HeadQuarter;RUS;LDS_Static;505000;;;;CRASNIK;"{RUS_5_564;0;0;0},{RUS_5_343;0;0;0}";"{RUS_SibI_564;0;0;0},{RUS_Cg_336;0;0;0}";3;2;5;2;4;0;0;0;RUS_L12;Plehve;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
RUS_WP_Nicholas;RUS_5_a;505014;Det V - 14;DT_LandDetachment;RUS;LDS_Static;505000;;;;CHELM;"{RUS_5_454;0;0;0},{RUS_d_343;0;0;0}";;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;

This means V Army has four corps and is located in province Crasnik while the separate V Army Detachment has two and is in province Chelm. The value is of use to modders or scenario builders, otherwise it means little to the casual player.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks - have one other question (for now) I am confused on the number of reserves allowed in the GHQ units - the reserve amount listed do not seem to go with the actual numbers

Any ideas?
Jack
Jack
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

The reserve unit capacity of the GHQ is the number on the bottom left-hand corner of the counter as shown in the Unit Display and represents the number of Corps. Mousing over it should bring up a tool tip labelling any of the values and symbols on the HQ (and Unit) icons. Typically GHQ's can hold five Corps and Army HQ's two or three.

An unlimited number of support units, specifically artillery, tanks, aircraft and assault units may be in any HQ reserve.

Some generals add additional capacity and the Trucks technology increases the allowable maximum for any GHQ by one Corps.

The base value can be modded to taste in the Detachments.csv file at the data block shown in RED below.

RUS_WP_Nicholas;RUS_HQ5;505013;HQ V - 13;DT_HeadQuarter;RUS;LDS_Static;505000;;;;CRASNIK;"{RUS_5_564;0;0;0},{RUS_5_343;0;0;0}";"{RUS_SibI_564;0;0;0},{RUS_Cg_336;0;0;0}";3;2;5;2;4;0;0;0;RUS_L12;Plehve;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Edit
Originally posted in error, the corrected location of the Reserve value is underlined above. The mouse-over tool tips provide a better explanation.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks - my main question (which I did not phrase very well) was that all GHQ have a number in parathenses next to it - I know this comes from the commanding general but the number makes no sense -

Example 1 - 1918 scenario - French - GHQ reserve capacity of 5(6) - lower left hand number of GHQ is indeed 5 - reserve number of the commanding general (found in the upper LEFT hand corner - lower left hand corner is now initiative) is 1 - where does the 6 come from?

Example 2 - 1918 scenario - American - GHQ reserve capacity of 1(6) - lower left hand number of GHQ is indeed 1 - reserve number of the commanding general (found in the upper LEFT hand corner - lower left hand corner is now initiative) is 1 - where does the 6 come from?

Thanks
Jack
Jack
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

The number in brackets () represents the intrinsic ability of the General and is the value used as long as that Leader is attached to that HQ.

From the text of the tool tip relating to Reserves:
The reserve value of GHQs indicates the maximum number of corps that can be put inside the GHQ reserves. Each GHQ has an intrinsic reserve value, that can be affected by the actual Commander-in-Chief leading the GHQ. So, if you see a figure in brackets, that number refers to the commander-in-chief's value, which is applied in lieu of the intrinsic GHQ value.
Just did a little confirmation, opening an old save where I had dismissed Haig and not received a suitable replacement and the HQ-BEF showed no bracketed value (or brackets at all) while GQG and HQ-AEF were both 5(6) with Joffre and Pershing respectively.

Any bracketed HQ value comes from the Leader present and is used in lieu of the intrinsic HQ value.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

The number in brackets () represents the intrinsic ability of the General and is the value used as long as that Leader is attached to that HQ.

From the text of the tool tip relating to Reserves:
The reserve value of GHQs indicates the maximum number of corps that can be put inside the GHQ reserves. Each GHQ has an intrinsic reserve value, that can be affected by the actual Commander-in-Chief leading the GHQ. So, if you see a figure in brackets, that number refers to the commander-in-chief's value, which is applied in lieu of the intrinsic GHQ value.
Just did a little confirmation, opening an old save where I had dismissed Haig and not received a suitable replacement and the HQ-BEF showed no bracketed value (or brackets at all) while GQG and HQ-AEF were both 5(6) with Joffre and Pershing respectively.

Any bracketed HQ value comes from the Leader present and is used in lieu of the intrinsic HQ value.

I see - it is not tied to the original reserve capcity of the commander but just because the commander exists there is a bonus to the GHQ reserve - does that sound correct?

Thanks for the help
Jack
Jack
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

I see - it is not tied to the original reserve capcity of the commander but just because the commander exists there is a bonus to the GHQ reserve - does that sound correct?
Not always a bonus, I believe that some Generals actually degrade the intrinsic GHQ reserve value. All things considered this makes sense.

Good Luck!
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Have another question - played Tannenburg - finally got Konigsburg beseiged - got the following screen - 10 russian stars for Konigsburg - 1 german star for I suppose my losses - why is it a german victory?

Thanks
Jack

Attachments
Snapshot_00000.jpg
Snapshot_00000.jpg (247.79 KiB) Viewed 413 times
Jack
calvinus72

Post by calvinus72 »

jcrohio, it looks a clear Russian victory, probably a wrong label 'German victory'...
Do you have a savegame just before the victory determination?
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Sorry no - thanks for the reply though
Jack
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Randomizer or Calvinus

Can one of you guys help me - I am a member of the ageod froums but for some reason cannot login - I have tried sending emails but get no response - could one of you guys post there and see if an administrator will help

login name over there is jcrohio
email is ******

thanks
Jack
Jack
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Hello Jack,

Done. PM sent to Phillipe T. Suggest that you edit your email address out of the above post so that you do not get spammed to death.

Good Luck

Chris

P.S. I apologize for not replying to your post regarding the Tannenburg victory screen but I have never played the scenario and have zero familiarity with it so could provide nothing meaningful.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks Randomizer - Phillipe got me all squared away

Quick question - are you random over on Ageod ww1 froums?

If so I downloaded your navy stuff and took your advise on the mod enabler - thanks for contributing

I am currently wading through this game - actually bought it it 2010 but could not make any sense of it - this time I am spending time with the forums, the rulebook, and some youtube videos I found - it actually is starting to make some sense

Thanks for everything
Jack
Jack
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Quick question - are you random over on Ageod ww1 froums?
That would be me.
If so I downloaded your navy stuff and took your advise on the mod enabler - thanks for contributing
You're welcome!
I am currently wading through this game - actually bought it it 2010 but could not make any sense of it - this time I am spending time with the forums, the rulebook, and some youtube videos I found - it actually is starting to make some sense
I waited until the Gold version to buy, it's only gotten better and Calvinus has performed beyond the call of duty squashing bugs and improving gameplay.

Best Regards: Chris
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

I too have been extremely impressed that patches are still happening - actually that is one of the reasons I have tried this again (that and an interest in WWI - played CTGW and really liked it - read a book on WWI - and thought maybe give this another try) - anyway thanks for the help

I hope you dont mind some questions from time to time - probably the most frustrating thing about this game is that at times you cannot do what it seems like you should be able to do - primarily move and join stacks - what is gradually happening is that the more I play the more I see why I cant do it - so that is progress

I did have one situation I would like to ask about. Playing Tannenberg as the Russians, had a victory on turn one and plotted a breakthrough into Koenigsberg. Lots of German there and got beat pretty quick but at least I did my first breakthrough. This stack ended up retreating to an area right behind (adjoining) it HQ. The next turn it had the little telephone symbol (out of command range I think) and I could not move that stack anywhere for the rest of the scenario. It refused to move to any area - even an adjoing area away from any enemy. Never figured it out and have no saves.

Again thanks
Jack

PS just remembered a second question - is it OK to use your navy mod - at one point you were posting that it was causing crashes in the newer releases - the mod emulator that I used to install your mod - will it handle simultaneously installing your leader mod - you made a point of stressing only one mod at a time in one of your posts - can I do both your navy and leaders mod?
Jack
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

WW1G can be incredibly frustrating at times so you're not alone in thinking this. Because it is so detailed it requires us Players to pay attention to the details lest we find ourselves behind the situational awareness curve. Add to this there are some undocumented "features" that can blind-side you on occasion and a combat system chock full of subtle modifiers that can appear to deliver odd results at times.

However, these aspects of the game all combine to produce a very reasonable facsimile of the strategic issues that faced the supreme commanders and political leaders of the day. A much more complete game than the competition as far as I am concerned.
This stack ended up retreating to an area right behind (adjoining) it HQ. The next turn it had the little telephone symbol (out of command range I think) and I could not move that stack anywhere for the rest of the scenario. It refused to move to any area - even an adjoing area away from any enemy.
WW1G is based on a board game so often there are die (or dice) rolls required to make certain things happen. One of them is having the ability to move when out of range of the Army or General HQ. I have never found what the enabling roll for this is but there is one somewhere and luck, good and bad can drive whether the unit moves or not. If the Corps that is out of command is not HQ specific it may be detached and become a "independent" detachment, i.e. "A Detachment of France". This also works for Minor armies, sometimes the Romanian or Bulgarian forces can fall out of command control but they can be detached. Am less certain about doing this with the Corps of the major powers though, at least those labelled with their Army HQ designator. In the case that you describe I would not like to guess what happened without seeing a screen shot, sorry.

To create a national detachment is basically done in the same manner as creating Army detachments: right click and drag a short movement leg (it will be Red) and release; this should open a small window with various options. Select Create Independent Detachment and you're done. Independent detachments may always make legal moves but may not normally attack. They may stack with Army Detachments (up to stacking limits) and will defend normally if their province is attacked.

Stacking limits can be a pain as they are always in effect and may impede an otherwise legal move. Stacking limits varies with terrain so beware, this is another one of those little details that can cause grief if forgotten, particularly when the action move from plains to mountains and vice-versa.
is it OK to use your navy mod - at one point you were posting that it was causing crashes in the newer releases - the mod emulator that I used to install your mod - will it handle simultaneously installing your leader mod - you made a point of stressing only one mod at a time in one of your posts - can I do both your navy and leaders mod?
Should be, the error you mention was due to sloppy editing of the Units.csv file on my part in an early version that's been fixed. You may activate both the Leaders and Naval mods together but you may not activate two or more Naval Mods since the Units.csv files are overwritten and scenario specific. My mod list is Naval Mod, Nef's Sounds and JMass' Graphics. Plus I have tweaked some other files (including Leaders.csv) and events to taste.
I have tried this again (that and an interest in WWI - played CTGW and really liked it - read a book on WWI

I have somewhere over a hundred books on the WW1 era and have read many more but an excellent, very readable and insightful new work is A World Undone; The Story of the Great War 1914 to 1918. One of the best one-volume histories available in my opinion, less biased than many of the so-called classic works by Keegan and others.

Have rambled on a bit but good luck, help is out there and questions are always welcome.

Chris
wodin

Post by wodin »

I also recommend A World Undone.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Just bought it - $12 on Amazon

I have only played the small scenarios so far - Tannenberg, Belgrade, Caporetto, Palestine, and Jutland - kinda enjoyed them all for quick games - Jutland I did not really understand what was going on - need to read the naval rules again

One thing is driving me nuts with this game - I cannot figure out the end of game screens (victory or defeat screens) - most of the time they make no sense - are the big scenarios like this - going to play the short 1914 scenario next before trying the campaigns

Also - out of curiosity - what is the Modding folder in the World War One folder used for and what is the "path for Modding in the configurator used for

Jack
Jack
wodin

Post by wodin »

I had to rebuy it from Amazon myself got it for £2.99!!

Return to “World War One Gold”