Went to Best Buy today

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ketza

Went to Best Buy today

Post by Ketza »

It was the last bastion of computer games. Sadly it to now has a limited selection. A few MMORPGS, a couple of shooters and a few copies of Civilization V.

I will always remember the tinge of excitement I felt going to the mall to look through the neat little rows of the latest computer games at the software store and the thrill of finding a new SSI title. After buying a new game I would head over to Chic fila and eat a chicken sandwich while reading the rules.

Ah well.

parusski

RE: Went to Best Buy today

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Ketza

It was the last bastion of computer games. Sadly it to now has a limited selection. A few MMORPGS, a couple of shooters and a few copies of Civilization V.

I will always remember the tinge of excitement I felt going to the mall to look through the neat little rows of the latest computer games at the software store and the thrill of finding a new SSI title. After buying a new game I would head over to Chic fila and eat a chicken sandwich while reading the rules.

Ah well.

Ketza, my sons and I used to venture to the local Best Buy every few weeks. We had the same thrill(aka Chris Matthews Obama tingle) of anticipation. Recently I went to a Best Buy to grab a monitor I had to have right then. I ventured into the game section and saw what you did. But I think I am part of the problem. Years ago I started buying all my games online due to convenience and getting just what I wanted. Those days are over.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Yes they are gone.  There was a software store in the mall here(Littlerock) and it had wall to wall computer games.  Now its all most all xbox.  Wally World has shrunk theirs down big time as well.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

We killed them.[&:]
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

The first computer game I ever purchased was the SSI Guadacanal game. I played it until my AppleII would overheat and shut off.

I still remember buying it from Games and Gadgets at Colisueum mall in Hampton Virginia circa 1982.

Just like games and gadgets and SSI the mall is now gone as well. Torn down due to low occupancy.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

The first computer game I ever purchased was the SSI Guadacanal game. I played it until my AppleII would overheat and shut off.

I still remember buying it from Games and Gadgets at Colisueum mall in Hampton Virginia circa 1982.

Just like games and gadgets and SSI the mall is now gone as well. Torn down due to low occupancy.
I hate it when an era like no other comes to an end. [:D]
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Well I thought the same thing about the 80's......
ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

I hate it when an era like no other comes to an end. [:D]
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

It was great in the early 90's when the computer stores were full and all the consoles of the time hit the bottom and were all going out of business. It looked like the PC was going to rule the roost for a long, long time.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

Argghhh...stop it!

The excitement of buying an SSI game (or many other games really) for my C64...The box. The manual. The free 'insert free thing'. The special 'smell' that the new game had when you first opened them back then (some people have told me it was actually from the disk magnetisers...god knows)...

Same went for the Amiga...

Same for early PC...

I still have the boxes, and manuals, and posters, and 'Moonstone/map/t-shirt/insert whatever else they stuffed into games'. My old computers still work. But nothing will beat the trek to the far off gameshop (there were none in western Sydney back then (early 80's), only a sunday market stall at the Mount Druitt markets (dead)...then the 'Gamesmen' opened...whole other story).

And then...holding that chunky box full of goodness in your sweaty palms, knowing it was full of content...

Sometimes I hate progress. Actually, I hate a lot of it now that I think about it. The commercial side at least [;)]
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

Yeah and some of the greatest games back then were 2 to 5 mb not 2 to 5gb+. My first real storage base hard drive was a 40mb one for my Amiga 500. I remember when you got a cassette tape and a floppy disk with your purchases from SSI. It scares me that 30 years have passed by so fast now. I lived in Phoenix Az back in the hey day of computer gaming and there were 8 malls to go to if you were looking for a particular item. I too remember the excitement and couldn't wait to get back home feeling to break into the boxes and load up the games and those lovely things called printed manuals you got with the games.

Sadly all too much of that and great feelings are gone now. Nothing feels new anymore. Nothing is really exciting anymore to purchase. There's no touchy feelly of the boxes and there's certainly hardly any printed manuals anymore. Digital has taken over and it's just not fun. I haven't bought a new game in a long time that made me feel like they did buying them back then. It just seems developers just throw stuff together anymore to keep up with the mainstream. Nothing stands out supreme or looks like something different from what we've already seen before. When I saw Sid Meier's "Railroads" my heart fell to the floor as that was the most childish ridiculously easy sugar coated remake of the best railroad strategy game I ever played "Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon". Too many of today's games are dumbed down and have some of the worst AI's (if you want to call them that) I ever saw and played against.

There once was a time developers/publishers loved what they were doing, now they just love making money and taking away our rights as customers (first sale doctrine) reselling old software, etc with all this digital stuff
parusski

Post by parusski »

Rtwfreak:
I too remember the excitement and couldn't wait to get back home feeling to break into the boxes and load up the games and those lovely things called printed manuals you got with the games.

Wait to get home to open the box?? Were you mad? I had my box open 10 seconds after getting in the car. I just had to look at the disks and manual.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Ah..those were the days...I remember going to my local Crazy Eddie outlet to buy this:

Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (8.09 KiB) Viewed 74 times
reg113

Post by reg113 »

Are we all a bunch of old farts or what?

Get off my grass, kid![:D]
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
kemmo

Post by kemmo »

There used to be a computer shop a couple of miles from me that had all the SSI games,used to go there as often as I could,eventually I must have bought every game they sold .Now the shop's gone,SSI's gone and my old 8 bit computer's gone,I miss them all.Old fart? yep guess I am.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

For me at least....the Board wargames are still producing some outstanding titles.[;)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

For me at least....the Board wargames are still producing some outstanding titles.[;)]

So true..I recently ordered two games from GMT's Musket and Pike series concerning the Thirty Years War....I cannot wait to explore these titles....
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: reg113

Are we all a bunch of old farts or what?

Get off my grass, kid![:D]

And turn down that noise you call music!!!
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

ORIGINAL: parusski

Wait to get home to open the box?? Were you mad? I had my box open 10 seconds after getting in the car. I just had to look at the disks and manual.

You hopefully were more smart than me. I always unboxed games in my car, in order to smuggle disks and manuals in a newspaper while simply threwing empty boxes in the boot and forgot them. Everything went well until my GF once took the car ...
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

ORIGINAL: parusski

You hopefully were more smart than me. I always unboxed games in my car, in order to smuggle disks and manuals in a newspaper while simply threwing empty boxes in the boot and forgot them. Everything went well until my GF once took the car ...

Oh man, I have not thought of the days when I had to sneak games in the house for a long time. I did the exact same things. LOL.
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

LOL Sneaking was so much better then hearing: "you spent 40 bucks on what?"

Return to “General Discussion”