Next destination: space.

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

RyanCrierie

RE: Next destination: space.

Post by RyanCrierie »

Also, how editable will the game be? E.G. would we be able to open up a config file and add in our own hypothetical-never flown rockets, such as the various Post-Saturn giants, such as the 1968 Advanced Multipurpose Large Launch Vehicle (AMLLV); which would have been several things:

1.) Core Stage: 12.8 million pound SSTO with 16 million pound liftoff thrust, placing 1 million pounds into LEO

2.) Core + 12 x Strap-Ons: 66.2 million pound TSTO with 107 million pound liftoff thrust, placing 3.4 million pounds into LEO.
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

ORIGINAL: Philkian

•Manage all aspects of your fledgling space agency from the 1950’s through to the Lunar landings in the first episode. Later episodes will add a permanent space station in Earth orbit all the way to the ultimate goal – a Manned Mission to Mars!

How this meant with "episodes"? The first installment of the game will take us to the moon, and afterwards there will be continuously released new DLC's and add-ons that gradually expand the base game?
How many episodes will there be until we have a manned Mars mission?
To hook up on #RyanCrierie questions can we hope to see some enthusiastic drawboard missions like Project Longshot, Deadalus or Icarus?
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

ORIGINAL: Dragoon
ORIGINAL: Philkian

•Manage all aspects of your fledgling space agency from the 1950’s through to the Lunar landings in the first episode. Later episodes will add a permanent space station in Earth orbit all the way to the ultimate goal – a Manned Mission to Mars!

How this meant with "episodes"? The first installment of the game will take us to the moon, and afterwards there will be continuously released new DLC's and add-ons that gradually expand the base game?
How many episodes will there be until we have a manned Mars mission?
To hook up on #RyanCrierie questions can we hope to see some enthusiastic drawboard missions like Project Longshot, Deadalus or Icarus?
And dont forget the sudgested moonbase for research production income and maybee tourism :) Maybee the Mars mission can be launched from the moon.
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Sudgested by NASA I forgot to mention. Also shall the private/national space agencys be handled in the game? Swedish Esrange(research/Tourism) Virgin Space Tourism initiative, European/chineese etc space programs. Thinking of later installment. Where time frame is aplicable.
SwedeWolf

wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Hmm, I hoped for some response on our questions by now but its still much to do as planned release is 3 month away. Better code than follow up Forum chatt I guess. Looking forward to the result. Extra christmas feeling hehe. Looking forward to potential good games is an excelent way to make time go slow eh. :)
SwedeWolf

Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello all,

I'm Ignacio, the Lead Developer behind Space Program Manager.
ORIGINAL: Swedewolf
Hmm, I hoped for some response on our questions by now but its still much to do as planned release is 3 month away. Better code than follow up Forum chatt I guess.

You're totally right on this one, we're working very hard on the game so sometimes it becomes a little bit hard for me to follow up the forum chat.

To answer some of the points raised in this thread:
* The game is set in an alternate universe where there's a single space agency. I took this decision when I started working on this game (back in January 2007) because I wanted to put the emphasis on exploration, not competition. That being said, if you play the campaign mode you'll need to adhere to deadlines, so you'll definitely get a pressure in there in order to fulfill the required goals.
* The game will be released in three parts. The first one will feature up to the Moon landings. Part two will cover building a space station in orbit and part three will be a manned mission to Mars. The game also features dozens of space probes borrowed from real-life missions from some of the biggest space agencies (e.g., NASA, ESA, JAXA, etc).
* After you get part III, you'll have an huge tech tree to explore, so sandbox mode will provide a lot of replay value.
* The game won't be moddable when it gets released.
* The rockets featured in the game are all based on existing ones, except for a few exceptions.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

--Ignacio
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Hi
Thanx for your reply. Actually got one question :). Are the missions gonna be animated or with real video clips as in BARIS? Also will it include roaring computer vibrating rocket sounds and mission dialoge?
cheers
SwedeWolf

Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Hi
Thanx for your reply. Actually got one question :). Are the missions gonna be animated or with real video clips as in BARIS? Also will it include roaring computer vibrating rocket sounds and mission dialoge?
cheers

No worries, feel free to ask as much as you like! [:)]

The game includes hundreds of renders developed by us which feature some animation elements and special effects. The renders are similar to the ones we've shown in the screenshots from the press release and they were all produced internally by Mauricio, our 3D artist, which means that you will get a consistent look throughout the whole game. I'm attaching a picture of Mauricio's latest work, see if you can name the astronaut that proved that Galileo was right [;)]

Regarding sound effects, you'll definitely get rocket sounds and other effects while playing the missions in the mission execution screen!

Attachments
10_Astrona..uma_1024.jpg
10_Astrona..uma_1024.jpg (151.03 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Hehe that is David Scott the Comander of Apollo 15 :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_15 http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lu ... _drop.html
Will this picture sudgest that we can have more than one mission to the moon? Including the mobile unit? My guess is yes. Very nice if so.
cheers
SwedeWolf

wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

duplicate post
SwedeWolf

Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Hehe that is David Scott the Comander of Apollo 15 :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_15 http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lu ... _drop.html
Will this picture sudgest that we can have more than one mission to the moon? Including the mobile unit? My guess is yes. Very nice if so.
cheers

Well done! [:)] Indeed, the game will feature more than one mission to the Moon. SPM doesn't end in the moon landings, so in part II you'll be able to setup lunar habitats and lunar bases using Apollo components and effectively emulate the Apollo Applications Program.
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

ORIGINAL: Emilio

Hi Nacho,

I'm very interested in SPM, since BARIS or RIS is one of my favorite games.
I'm also glad that Leon Baradat will be a beta tester. He is the soul for the actual RIS project and he made a lot of improvements.

As I read it's going to be released for Windows, MAC and iPad. Are you also planning to make an Android release (for tablets)?

Thanks,

Emilio

Sorry for the late reply Emilio! Glad you liked the game! We're not planning an Android release at the moment, but we don't discard the possibility of making an android version.
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

ORIGINAL: Nacho84

cheers

Well done! [:)] Indeed, the game will feature more than one mission to the Moon. SPM doesn't end in the moon landings, so in part II you'll be able to setup lunar habitats and lunar bases using Apollo components and effectively emulate the Apollo Applications Program.
Moon habitat! Nice. To be frank Ive been waiting for this to hapend IRL since I was a kid. Was called little sputnik when I was around 1 years old(-59) was the only kid in my hood that bothered to follow missions on TV and when I was 11y I was sitting with my family watching the Apollo 11 Launch and the following lunar landing. I heard later that one swedish viewer phoned swedish TV to complain, he just got his first Color TV set and claimed that as also pay the TV licens he should get better quality on the moon broadcast. [:-]

The complain service lady told him that its direct from the moon but he was adamant [:D]

Anyway not much really happend after I was 11 and now Im soon 55 and is a grandfather. So u all can imagine my joy when BARIS came and even more so now with SPM. And as space tourism is on by Branson(Virgin) and probably Swedish Esrange(if last year sabotage(not proven) suffered by them stoped them this game can start inspire wannabee engineers and Austronauts for the years to come. It seams that the old BELTER http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4316 ... roids-2076 have inspired some guys to start some asteroid mining with plans for some Belter economy as the final goal. (havent find any source about it, just a spot on swedish TV news.

If Jules Verne and others could write and by so inspire people with moontravel, under the sea travel and such more than 100 years ago before any was in the existance and games now is the new way of inspire then .........

Many 20 century rocket scientist read Jules Verne Im sure [&o]

So im eager to see any of this be a reality before my time is over(hopefully some 40 more years :) )
So games like this(and Baris) give me hope.
cheers
SwedeWolf

wolf14455

Apollo 13 dillema

Post by wolf14455 »

As I play BARIS over and over I see the how the code is handling crisis but with the Apollo 13 catastrofic events there is more or less a new mission created while they are in space. The mission to survive, using the lunar modul as a lifeboat and to invent from scratch a carbondioxide cleaner go outside normal BARIS game play IMHO. Also turning the scraped mission to a success was probably very good for public interest as at the time it was critticly low. Making NASA getting lots of needed prestige and boost of funds. How you gonna aproach this?
Any new pictures to view? cheers :)
SwedeWolf

Nacho84

RE: Apollo 13 dillema

Post by Nacho84 »

As I play BARIS over and over I see the how the code is handling crisis but with the Apollo 13 catastrofic events there is more or less a new mission created while they are in space. The mission to survive, using the lunar modul as a lifeboat and to invent from scratch a carbondioxide cleaner go outside normal BARIS game play IMHO. Also turning the scraped mission to a success was probably very good for public interest as at the time it was critticly low. Making NASA getting lots of needed prestige and boost of funds. How you gonna aproach this?
Any new pictures to view? cheers :)

Apologies for my late reply! Yes, SPM will feature emergencies during the missions and you will be able to make some decisions on how to proceed. We will be posting more pictures soon! We're quite focused into the development process at the moment [;)]
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Ok good to hear. Keep up the good work. Hoping you guys consider me for some alpha/betha testing, got the time for it.
cheers
SwedeWolf

Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Hoping you guys consider me for some alpha/betha testing, got the time for it.
cheers

Will do, yes! [:)]
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Great :)