German Air Refueling

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

hfarrish

German Air Refueling

Post by hfarrish »

The current use of this showed up in the Saper/Harrybanana game and I now have a game ongoing where it is being used with devastating effect - is this currently considered a WAD process (i.e. the ability to fully fuel up units hundreds of miles from any rail line) or is it something else? Can the Soviet player really do anything to counter it? Seems like air units never fly intercepts against the resupply missions (its really hard to predict where they will be in any case, and you are likely to get your air units brushed aside by deep striking motorized units if you keep them anywhere close enough to accomplish anything).

carlkay58

RE: German Air Refueling

Post by carlkay58 »

Check out the latest patch which requires airbases to be within 5 of the railhead in order to fly air supply missions - major change that nerfs this tactic a bit.
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

An additional complication (for the intercepting player) is that night air transport shows the same available load as day does.

This means that there has to be two sets of interceptors (day/night) though night intercept is much more range dependent than day, at least if I understand Pavel's comment correctly when the issue was night strategic bombing.

This also opens up for the refueling player to do two 'recon' transport missions and see which of day/night is met by interceptors and then choose the lighter opposition for the main transport effort.

You need to have some interceptors set to night.
jagfour

Post by jagfour »

I need help or a better understanding of air re-supply. It says in the manual 16.3.4 that I can choose to drop supplies or fuel but I cant find an explaination as to how to make this choice. Can someone help me with this?
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

To do air supply, choose air supply mode (the parachute icon) move cursor to unit to be supplied, press shift key as right clicking, read info panel that comes up, supply type choice is in lower right corner, click to change between supplies or fuel... usually game makes a good first choice, though...
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

The current use of this showed up in the Saper/Harrybanana game and I now have a game ongoing where it is being used with devastating effect - is this currently considered a WAD process (i.e. the ability to fully fuel up units hundreds of miles from any rail line) or is it something else? Can the Soviet player really do anything to counter it? Seems like air units never fly intercepts against the resupply missions (its really hard to predict where they will be in any case, and you are likely to get your air units brushed aside by deep striking motorized units if you keep them anywhere close enough to accomplish anything).

Its issues like this that 2by3 has no control over that is keeping the game so wildly out of balance.

People that don't exploit are easly defeated by 44 or quit in early 41, because the russain forses have to be gratly over rated to try and make up for exploits 2by3 seems to have no control over.

Making the game unplayable for 90% of the poeple playing.

You have to find a way to exploit/cheat ect ect or the game is unplayable.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

The Luftwaffe actually employed giant eagles from Middle Earth to deliver fuel to panzer armee schwerpunkts. The eagles have keen eyesight, and are willing to fly day or night. That is why your intercepts fail. [8D]

People that don't exploit are easly defeated by 44 or quit in early 41

One shudders to think how long the Germans would have lasted if Stavka hadn't historically been commanded by a militarily mental midget.

[;)]

Obviously Hitler should have played chess.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
AFV

Post by AFV »

Awesome.
Gunnulf

Post by Gunnulf »

Thats all very well but chess is massively biased in favour of the white army with its hard coded first move advantage. Until that is nerfed I see no reason to play. More than 10 times a week anyway...
"Stay low, move fast"
Tone

Post by Tone »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Making the game unplayable for 90% of the poeple playing.

I would say that it is more like 20% of the peoples playing, and that is because they are still learnings mechanics or maybe they stupid.
Both the victor
and the vanquished are
but drops of dew,
but bolts of lightning -
thus should we view the world.
Ôuchi Yoshitaka
1507-1551
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Seminole

The Luftwaffe actually employed giant eagles from Middle Earth to deliver fuel to panzer armee schwerpunkts. The eagles have keen eyesight, and are willing to fly day or night. That is why your intercepts fail. [8D]

People that don't exploit are easly defeated by 44 or quit in early 41

One shudders to think how long the Germans would have lasted if Stavka hadn't historically been commanded by a militarily mental midget.

[;)]

Obviously Hitler should have played chess.

Sweet very nice heheh

A dos based message would have been more fitting with old monochrome screen shot hehehehe

Its a 9 and not a 10 because of that :)
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Jimbo123

Post by Jimbo123 »

For us dlightly older folks an awsome post! I give it a 10
Jimbo123

Post by Jimbo123 »

Slightly[:-]
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

We older folks have trouble with new fangled things like keyboards and things that are a bit like telly screens but aren't, so Seminole gets 11/10 from me for being able to do it at all
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Return to “The War Room”