Nothing Up My Sleeve: Magical Moose Tricks--Bullwinkle58 vs.1EyedJacks

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

crsutton

RE: Nothing Up My Sleeve: Magical Moose Tricks--Bullwinkle58 vs.1EyedJacks

Post by crsutton »

One point about China. Given the possible Japanese onslaught I think the Allies should always defends with an eye towards evacuating towards the west and blocking the Japanese route to Burma. It was my experience that eventually supply becomes such an issue that holding the North and Central China is not feasible vs a good Japanese player. And, once the major industrial cities are captured the supply situation gets so poor that Chinese units will not take replacements.

Make him fight hard and don't worry about sacrificing armies. You can never rebuilt them all anyways. But eventually move your armies to the mountains to the West. Shattered Chinese units can make the long march to India where they can rebuild. If you are strong enough in your mountain redoubt you can hold on until the Indian army can punch the Ledo road open and clear out Northern Burma. And they do not have to take Rangoon for decent supply to flow into China. You have no hope of flying enough supply to the Chinese plain, but can keep your redoubt alive by air supply from India.

By the way, the only reason for the Allies to waste a single soldier in Burma is to eventually get a chance to resupply China. If China is lost, Burma has no strategic value to the Allies at all. It is not a great place for Japan to be and can easily be outflanked by the Allies once they get the sealift capacity. Just flank em....
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: desicat

I'm still going to predict Enewetok. Mostly because someone suffering through the MN Winter would want to snuggle up close to a place like Bikini Atoll! (Before the nuclear nightlight of course)
[:D]
Eniwetok got the same glow-in-the-dark treatment!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: desicat

I'm still going to predict Enewetok. Mostly because someone suffering through the MN Winter would want to snuggle up close to a place like Bikini Atoll! (Before the nuclear nightlight of course)

No, not Eniwetok. It's going to UNDERwhelm you. [:)]

Although I am begining to consider my 1943 program. I'm tired of all this AAR thrashing about in the DEI. Hint.

FWIW, I like the MN winter. I lived in Hawaii for several years and I find that kind of climate boring. The winter here is never boring. Alberta Clipper coming through tonight; two inches forecast. Enough to freshen up the snow doots. (Local slang. AKA snurds.)
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

One point about China. Given the possible Japanese onslaught I think the Allies should always defends with an eye towards evacuating towards the west and blocking the Japanese route to Burma. It was my experience that eventually supply becomes such an issue that holding the North and Central China is not feasible vs a good Japanese player. And, once the major industrial cities are captured the supply situation gets so poor that Chinese units will not take replacements.

Make him fight hard and don't worry about sacrificing armies. You can never rebuilt them all anyways. But eventually move your armies to the mountains to the West. Shattered Chinese units can make the long march to India where they can rebuild. If you are strong enough in your mountain redoubt you can hold on until the Indian army can punch the Ledo road open and clear out Northern Burma. And they do not have to take Rangoon for decent supply to flow into China. You have no hope of flying enough supply to the Chinese plain, but can keep your redoubt alive by air supply from India.

By the way, the only reason for the Allies to waste a single soldier in Burma is to eventually get a chance to resupply China. If China is lost, Burma has no strategic value to the Allies at all. It is not a great place for Japan to be and can easily be outflanked by the Allies once they get the sealift capacity. Just flank em....

I partly disagree with you, partly agree.

I have modified my original China bug-out plan where I wasn't even going to defend Lashio. I want him strung out across China, and I want him to have to garrison. That's in part how he loses a little of the advantage he gets by not having to pay PPs to cross borders. Taking China gives him a fair bit on Manpower and Resources, but almost no Oil or Fuel. My overall national, strategic goal is to starve him of POL. Even though it's Scen 2 eventualy this will bite. So far he has been pretty lavish with the fuel, operating near PH for months.

I've never defended Chungking. I have a lot of force there, am on the way to Forts 8, but supplies are too low. If I lose it too early the replacements elsewhere stop and the bug-out largely loses its punch. OTOH, so far his land habits show a very methodical, low-risk mindset, and Chungking as presently set-up would need some pretty aggressive action to take down.

Lanchow, the main Chinese fuel source, is almost at Forts 4 and has 1100 AV plus two base forces and an HQ. The only nearby LCUs are the tanks which got pounded trying to take it. He is also in Urmachi's hex way to the north, but has not attacked. My read from other AARs is that this fuel never flows to the coast, or very little of it.

Timing will be important on an air bridge. If he gives me time I'm prepared to throw max effort at Ledo. So far I think I'll have that time. I've never had to really fight for Chungking against the AI. Whatever hapens there it'll be an education.

Where I somewhat disagree with you is Burma. Burma has three advantages in my game, some of which might not normally apply. 1) It has oil, and he needs it. He's far, far behind the normal curve with the Allies still holding Palembang and Soerbaja. Rangoon's' refineries are idle. 2) It has hordes of Chinese who are normally fighting around Changsha in most games right now. They are half-TOE, but they are numerous and half cuts supply routes and takes hex sides as well as full-TOE. If he brings the Singers stack up there to take Mandalay it'll by then be in monsoon months, and it will be a constant dance of maneuver, with rivers playing a big role. 3) Having a big force in Burma makes a thrust into Indo-China always something he has to guard against. Once the Viet militia divisions are off the table on 1/1/43 a thrust to cut the Magic Highway at Haiphong (say) helps the Allies a lot if they are aggressive with subs. And I will be. Mike has already told me that my subs are like nothing he's ever faced in previous games.

Your point about using sealift to bypass is a very good one. I think too many players ignore the Allies' huge advantage in sealift in later 1943 and 1944 in this theater, focusing too much on the DEI. The IJN has trouble operating at that strategic depth (near Rangoon) by then if their logistics are at Singers and their fleet has to pass choke points. I have Inchon "in my family", so landing behind is something I do look at.

But first I have to get past the next year. [:)]
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Starting work on the turn, but wanted to post an air loss status. Shows that the saturation bombing of Singers and Palembang is costing him multi-engine bombers.

Attachments
airstat.jpg
airstat.jpg (383.21 KiB) Viewed 70 times
The Moose
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

I have to disagree with the statement that Burma offers no value and it has to be outflanked by sea. The open hexes in the Irrawaddy Valley and eventually Thailand are a real threat to the IJ. Although I have only 2 PBEM games, in both games once I got Allied armor loose in the Irrawaddy Valley supported by LBA, and it was katy bar the door. Once I got armor supported by airpower and paratroops in the plains of Thailand -- it was game over. In my last affair the Commonwealth are crossing the Yangzee river at multiple points.

Why is this such a vulnerability for the IJ? From my point of view, besides the tatical firepower advantages of Allied armored units and using airpower against units in open terrain, the Burmese rough/ jungle within a closed road network offers the unique problem of the defender trying to move units within an LOC that the Allies are free to interdict at will. Bombing a unit on a rough jungle hex does not produce much casualties, and the temptation is to mass airpower to try and disable as many sqauds as possible at some vulnerable point. [In fact both opponents pointed out that my bombing efforts were futiile [;)] ] I simply adopted a strategy of attacking as many units as possible knowing that the combat results will be negligible, but these units with little arrows on them will change operations mode from move to combat mode, and this halves their movement. Have one force at rate 'X' and another force at 1/2 'X' and a battle of maneuver errupts over time. Have the IJ not notice this and if they do not keep up with the details then units become 'mysteriously' pinned. Pin the right units down and the IJ become trapped. Pick a weak spot to begin the campaign and very insidiously the trap unfolds.

In my limited experience trying to outflank Burma by sea in 1943 has only lead my efforts into the IJ's greatest strength in 1943 -- Surface combat platforms attacking vulnerable sea bases. A pure land campaign feeds into the Allies greatest strength in 1943 -- 4E's and an advantage in armor firepower .. It does take a comittment. I think you were the one that told me to move SeaBees to India [;)] , and I think American Divisions and extra armored units are required also. At least 3 divisions and 3 - 4 of those armored units from Southwest Pacfic ..

That strategy although applies if no home rules somehow prohibit maneuver in Burma to recreate some "historical" constraint. A game like the Moose where Burma can be fought during the Monsoon really adds to the Allies advantage.

My .02 ... [8D]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Very good food for thought. Whether I will send 3-6 US divisions into India/Burma . . . Don't know about that. [:)]

In my AI games the AI puts huge amounts of air power into Burma. 150 Oscar sweeps day after day. So I've never been able to do a lot with 4E there in the first half of 1943. Maybe this will be different.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I'm in mid-turn prep, but I wanted to post one more screen shot showing the sub situaiton around Balikpapan. The Surface TF on the far lower left is Force Z, about to take on fuel from the Perth replenishment group. So far nothing is in sight which would make me commit Z and reveal them.

Also, an aside, UNDERDOG has been altered. For one, there IS no Follow=5; 3 is the max. Yorktown's Wildcats are on 30% LRCAP of the transports. I ordered the landing force to stand off to the east and wait once it arrives in the vicinity. There are three APDs with troops in the landing TF. I may split one off as a probe and send it in to land, and see if there are carriers about.

I also ordered six subs, either already on patrol or at Pearl, into mutually-reinforcing patrol zones covering 200 degrees of the approaches to the landing site out to 15 hexes. It will take several days for them all to arrive on station.

And, perhaps most importantly, I found some RAAF Catalinas in NE Oz I could spare, bought them out, and sent them toward Canton I., staging through Suva. They will arrive tomorrow. Canton just has the initial little base force, but I slipped in 2500 supply a month ago, and the force has about 25 aviation support. It's only three Cats, but it will give me eyes to the north, which is gold right now.

Attachments
balik.jpg
balik.jpg (542.12 KiB) Viewed 70 times
The Moose
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

The last two days have given very strong hits as to what is UNDERDOG's objective.

It is the recapture of Palmyra Island.

(a) not far from Allied power, out on a limb from Japnaese power

(b) reduces basically to zero the possibility of a Japanese move on Hawaii, and in the process demonstrates that Japan merely wasted a lot of fuel and airplanes in the first two months of the war by hanging around Hawaii

(c) shortens the Allied SLOC to the South Pacific

A move on Eniwetok at this stage of the war is very bad and pointless.

Alfred
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Very good food for thought. Whether I will send 3-6 US divisions into India/Burma . . . Don't know about that..

Well to each his own ... [8D] But if the IJ ignores Burma I just make the case that this kind of investment has shown that the game can be won begining with a focus on a Burma Campaign, rather than Burma being "non-strategic in value".

There is one good reason I can think of .. it turns the game to depend on the game's weakest component -- the land warfare module, and deemphasizes the games strength -- Naval warfare. However, I reason that this strategy is a deterrent for the IJ player that overemphasizes other theaters or otherwise does not set a defensive line .. investing forces here can lead feasibly to instant Allied Autovictory. Of course like the doomsday bomb in Dr Strangelove . your opponent has to know of this capability and consequinces [:'(]

BTW) You cite 150 Oscars or so sweeping etc .. clearly a Burmise campaign requires a concernted effort like building up Kaylemyo .. etc .. etc yadd yadda yadda .. but again my point is that Burma can be a strategic theater and lead to Allied auto-victory ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The last two days have given very strong hits as to what is UNDERDOG's objective.

It is the recapture of Palmyra Island.

"Missed it by THAT much, Chief." [:)]

(a) not far from Allied power, out on a limb from Japnaese power

(b) reduces basically to zero the possibility of a Japanese move on Hawaii, and in the process demonstrates that Japan merely wasted a lot of fuel and airplanes in the first two months of the war by hanging around Hawaii

(c) shortens the Allied SLOC to the South Pacific

It's Christmas Island. B and C nearly as true. A is much less so. Palmyra is in the way for help from Pearl, and it's pretty far PH--Christmas. The driver was that old bugaboo, prep points. I had started prepping for Christmas as soon as it fell. I have a couple of LCUs for Palmyra farther back in the cycle, primarily a Marine Raider unit. Christmas being farther south is more of a KB hang-out for Japan too, so it somewhat balances. My hope was and is I could get a good smack on Palmyra as the carriers leave.

If the KB does show up near Christmas I have an idea somebody gave me long ago to stash the landing force at Port Stanley rather than steam all the way back to San Diego. Lets them come out again from an unexpected vector and without pesky subs radioing back to Papa.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces
Very good food for thought. Whether I will send 3-6 US divisions into India/Burma . . . Don't know about that..

Well to each his own ... [8D] But if the IJ ignores Burma I just make the case that this kind of investment has shown that the game can be won begining with a focus on a Burma Campaign, rather than Burma being "non-strategic in value".

There is one good reason I can think of .. it turns the game to depend on the game's weakest component -- the land warfare module, and deemphasizes the games strength -- Naval warfare. However, I reason that this strategy is a deterrent for the IJ player that overemphasizes other theaters or otherwise does not set a defensive line .. investing forces here can lead feasibly to instant Allied Autovictory. Of course like the doomsday bomb in Dr Strangelove . your opponent has to know of this capability and consequinces [:'(]

BTW) You cite 150 Oscars or so sweeping etc .. clearly a Burmise campaign requires a concernted effort like building up Kaylemyo .. etc .. etc yadd yadda yadda .. but again my point is that Burma can be a strategic theater and lead to Allied auto-victory ..

To me Burma makes the game's land model warts stand out and never stop standing out. So much jungle, so many rivers. I know some peole groove on that, but I just put up with it. I likes my ships!

Burma can certianly be decisive, no question. Indo-China is in many ways the Great Unexplored Theater in most AARs. Japanese players don't often have to deal with the early 1944 loss of both Saigon and CRB in terms of homeward bound convoys.

But my heart lies elsewhere . . . [:)]

Re the AI sweeps, the issue playing it isn't so much base build up, it's fighter pools. The sweeps are so huge and so persistent that trying to fight them keeps the RAF pools flat for months. Single digit CAP against 150+ front-line fighters, and bombers behind. Andy REALLY paid attention to the Burma theater in the scripts. I think from his comments here over the years it's an area with a lot of personal interest for him. The air war there shows it.
The Moose
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I have to disagree with the statement that Burma offers no value and it has to be outflanked by sea. The open hexes in the Irrawaddy Valley and eventually Thailand are a real threat to the IJ. Although I have only 2 PBEM games, in both games once I got Allied armor loose in the Irrawaddy Valley supported by LBA, and it was katy bar the door. Once I got armor supported by airpower and paratroops in the plains of Thailand -- it was game over. In my last affair the Commonwealth are crossing the Yangzee river at multiple points.

Why is this such a vulnerability for the IJ? From my point of view, besides the tatical firepower advantages of Allied armored units and using airpower against units in open terrain, the Burmese rough/ jungle within a closed road network offers the unique problem of the defender trying to move units within an LOC that the Allies are free to interdict at will. Bombing a unit on a rough jungle hex does not produce much casualties, and the temptation is to mass airpower to try and disable as many sqauds as possible at some vulnerable point. [In fact both opponents pointed out that my bombing efforts were futiile [;)] ] I simply adopted a strategy of attacking as many units as possible knowing that the combat results will be negligible, but these units with little arrows on them will change operations mode from move to combat mode, and this halves their movement. Have one force at rate 'X' and another force at 1/2 'X' and a battle of maneuver errupts over time. Have the IJ not notice this and if they do not keep up with the details then units become 'mysteriously' pinned. Pin the right units down and the IJ become trapped. Pick a weak spot to begin the campaign and very insidiously the trap unfolds.

In my limited experience trying to outflank Burma by sea in 1943 has only lead my efforts into the IJ's greatest strength in 1943 -- Surface combat platforms attacking vulnerable sea bases. A pure land campaign feeds into the Allies greatest strength in 1943 -- 4E's and an advantage in armor firepower .. It does take a comittment. I think you were the one that told me to move SeaBees to India [;)] , and I think American Divisions and extra armored units are required also. At least 3 divisions and 3 - 4 of those armored units from Southwest Pacfic ..

That strategy although applies if no home rules somehow prohibit maneuver in Burma to recreate some "historical" constraint. A game like the Moose where Burma can be fought during the Monsoon really adds to the Allies advantage.

My .02 ... [8D]

I think you missed my point a bit. There are much better targets to hit in 1943. Sabang and Siboret Island come to mind. A foothold in Java will close the Indian Ocean to Japanese ships and directly threaten Japanese oil supply. Holding Sabang a level 9 airbase,will force a fight of attrition which is what the Allies should seek in 1943. Perhaps later 43 for scenario 2. Win the fight and the Japanese position in Burma becomes untenable due to supply starvation. My experience was that my personal fight over Java forced my opponent to pull the Japanese fleet from the Pacific which proved to be an added bonus. If he is foolish enough to stay in Burma then a follow up invasion of Pegu or Moulmein will doom any Japanese force in Rangoon or further North. Yes, you can slog it out in Burma and kill a lot of Japanese troops but that is the one thing the Japanese have in spades and can afford to lose. He can't afford to lose oil though. Any campaign that is not focused on threatening Japanese oil has little strategic value in my view.

Call it the Canoerebel school of thought. The Allies should preserve their fleet and sealift capacity until mid 43 and then find a place that is vital to Japan and stick their foot right into the middle of it. This takes the strategic initiative away from the Japanese player. If you win the fight-and you should. Then he will never regain that initiative.

Simply put Burma does not allow you any opportunity to seize the strategic initiative. The only real asset in Burma is the oil in Magawbe but that is easily bombed out from India.

I fought for Burma because I had a viable Chinese force in Western China to support, but if China had been lost to me I would have just sent more force to Java where the real campaign was and not given Burma a second thought. I should say that I brought my entire fleet to the party in Java. It was a dogfight.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

My .02 ... [8D]

I think you missed my point a bit. There are much better targets to hit in 1943. Sabang and Siboret Island come to mind. A foothold in Java will close the Indian Ocean to Japanese ships and directly threaten Japanese oil supply. Holding Sabang a level 9 airbase,will force a fight of attrition which is what the Allies should seek in 1943. Perhaps later 43 for scenario 2. Win the fight and the Japanese position in Burma becomes untenable due to supply starvation. My experience was that my personal fight over Java forced my opponent to pull the Japanese fleet from the Pacific which proved to be an added bonus. If he is foolish enough to stay in Burma then a follow up invasion of Pegu or Moulmein will doom any Japanese force in Rangoon or further North. Yes, you can slog it out in Burma and kill a lot of Japanese troops but that is the one thing the Japanese have in spades and can afford to lose. He can't afford to lose oil though. Any campaign that is not focused on threatening Japanese oil has little strategic value in my view.

Call it the Canoerebel school of thought. The Allies should preserve their fleet and sealift capacity until mid 43 and then find a place that is vital to Japan and stick their foot right into the middle of it. This takes the strategic initiative away from the Japanese player. If you win the fight-and you should. Then he will never regain that initiative.

Simply put Burma does not allow you any opportunity to seize the strategic initiative. The only real asset in Burma is the oil in Magawbe but that is easily bombed out from India.

I fought for Burma because I had a viable Chinese force in Western China to support, but if China had been lost to me I would have just sent more force to Java where the real campaign was and not given Burma a second thought. I should say that I brought my entire fleet to the party in Java. It was a dogfight.

I think you might have missed my point [8D] I am opting for the indirect threat to the oil/fuel ....

A picture below. Starting with Burma in 1942 and investing US/Aussie forces here ...Once I grabbed Saigon in '43 the whole DEI became a huge problem for the IJ. That assault continued until I grabbed Hong Kong and Canton. In the meantime USN/USMC forces worked to cutoff PI at Davao and Palawin .. Now I interdict all shipping headed into or out of the the DEI. Those oil wells can produce as much as they desire .. none of it is getting to the home islands .. [;)]

Attachments
China1944.jpg
China1944.jpg (414.49 KiB) Viewed 70 times
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Excellent position and an Allied fanboy's dream. But this is not going to happen vs a competent Japanese player in 1943 and I doubt 44 in an scenario #2 situation.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Excellent position and an Allied fanboy's dream. But this is not going to happen vs a competent Japanese player in 1943 and I doubt 44 in an scenario #2 situation.

I cannot judge my opponents competency, and yes this is scenaraio #1 not #2. However, the statement was that Burma is not strategic, and I simply posted a picture of the potential. BTW) N=2 ... [;)] I posted a picture very early on in teh War room thread of just how rapid the situaiton in Burma can deterorate especally mid 43 if the IJ do not defend at the India border. I do know that everybody thought a Northern Kules advance was impossible against a competent opponent until Greyjoy showed us how [8D]

BTW) My opponent did what many IJFB's do .. defend the Irrawaddy Valley and spearhead notth toward China mid 42 ...rather than form a defensive line on the India border. While the IJ were busy raiding and invading NG & Oz ... I invested resources into India/Burma in terms of SeaBees and units. He overstacked a formation trying to attack Taung Gvi and I tied up them uip with with Chineese and 4E bombing that prevented units from catching up to the Aussies to the south The Aussies eventually took Toungoo ... He committed the Thai's that got caught again and frozen in place while the Armored units proceeded to occupy LOC's. That left Ubon open as an example and a paratroop in .. start strategic reployment at railroad rates and soon Sotheast Asia falls ...

I might contend that this situaiton happend because the IJ felt that Burma was not strategic except for the oil....suddenly US armor and Aussie's pop out of the jungle and the situation became very strategic ..
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

March 7, 1942

Rush Hour

1) I sing a song once more of the Sea of Japan. Readers may think I belabor this, but I have been told over the years as a "lowly" AI player that I Just Didn't Understand how hard submarine warfare is when you play a human. That it was "impossible" to use subs in historic ways to slow and eventually stop the Japanese economy as was done in real life. And recently I was lectured by an old-school Japan-only player that patrols into the Sea of Japan were a waste of time, not worth the mine risk, etc. Well, here in the early war, with subs still sporting pre-war red-lead paint jobs, with no radar, with low-experience crews, three boats find this highway in full flower:

Some attacks. Some misses. Some duds. One success.

Sub attack near Hakodate at 118,50

Japanese Ships
xAK Yamagiri Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Snapper

Japan will come to understand that no TF can move near the HI without escorts. Holding escorts back in the rear will benefit the Allies in many places, and escorts don't run on rice balls like airplanes do. Screen shots like this are what keep the Allies in the game in these dark early months.

2) Ambon. Whew! Invasions like this one make Japanese generals eye their ceremonial blades with trepidation. The landing itself was just fine, the base should be easy. The IJN invested BBs after there was an initial snag. Aviation support was detailed and scheduled to land in proper sequence. (This turn, when Ambon should be flying a Rising Sun flag.) But things did not go according to plan.

More landings occur--the aviation base force--and the CD awakens.

xAK Nanman Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire
xAK Tonan Maru, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
xAK Nanman Maru, Shell hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Mikage Maru, Shell hits 1
xAK Mikage Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire

A MKB comes to call from the north of the island and accomplishes little:

Morning Air attack on 4th Coastal Gun Battalion, at 76,109 (Ambon)

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 4
A6M2 Zero x 17
B5N1 Kate x 22
B5N2 Kate x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

And then the attack. Forts are knocked down, Japan gets favorable odds, but the defenders hold once again. They will not after this, and the base will fall, but what a job these Dutchmen did! As a mark of their defiance, after the battle they bombard the quivering Japanese outside the walls one more time.

Ground combat at Ambon (76,109)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2250 troops, 22 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 91

Defending force 1318 troops, 26 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 18

Japanese adjusted assault: 43

Allied adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), preparation(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
137 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
164 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
2nd Raiding Regiment
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
9th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
4th Coastal Gun Battalion
Molukken Garrison Bn /1
Ambon Base Force

3) Djambi has a busy day. A night AF bombing raid by Banshees, crippled and about to retire, does no damage but wakes everyone up. (50% strayed and did not proceed to target.) At daybreak an escorted Dutch bombing strike at 1000 feet has these results:

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 2 destroyed
139WH-3: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Oil hits 1

Followed immediately by the Forts at 9000 feet who meet a low-ops-points Zero CAP:

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged

Oil hits 6

That's 7000 more supply Japan will have to haul some day to feed Palembang.

To complete the Oil day, more Forts hit Tarakan:

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3

No Allied losses

Oil hits 1

4) The Allies get unlucky at Palembang, as Japan's tactics shift to meet the supply flows into Singers (today at about 20,300.) The Fast Transport TF has accumulated a lot of system and engine damage, so they are stood down in Critical Readiness status for a day to patch. Japan picks this day, after months of AF bombing, to shift to Port strikes. Several APDs are hit, and USS Whipple sinks at the pier. Three are on fire.

The RN ASW TF south of Singers is again attacked by Marys which miss, but won't forever. These are the best ASW ships the Allies have now, and no subs have been seen for two days. Subs only matter if supplies flow to Singers. The Allies may pause a few days, let Singers live on what it has, and try to break the routine which has been established. Another xAKL unloading at Singers is hit by a bomb, but continues to work. Replacements at Singers are back off for everyone except the Aussie infantry, the premier defender units there. Recon shows 34 Japanese LCUs in Singers' hex today, and 9 at JB.

Singers gets plastered again, again damaged IJA bombers number over 30, with some destroyed as well. If the attack does not come tomorrow I will once again have been wrong there. But who's counting? [;)]

5) The stack at Clark does not show a movement dot and Bataan is bombed again. I can't help but think how much the many engineer units sitting at Clark could be helping at Singers. I don't mind.

6) Blenheims hit Prome in an effort to continue to expand the Burma theater. Light AF damage recorded, no losses.

7) Japan does a recon-by-bombardment far to the north in China at Urumchi. This base has one defender of medium strength, but only Forts 1.5. It makes a little organic supply I believe. The Allies have a garrison requirement here, but I don't know if Japan does. I thnk so. This base has a bit of petroleum, but it's a long haul to get it south. I'm almost OK with Japan taking this base if it forces a garrison on them. Taking it might cost Japan more than it's worth though.

Ground combat at Urumchi (79,11)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1422 troops, 20 guns, 50 vehicles, Assault Value = 43

Defending force 1897 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 82

Assaulting units:
4th Cavalry Brigade

Defending units:
303rd Brigade

8) UNDERDOG grinds on with changes posted yesterday. No hits on any IJN carriers. Should have search planes at Canton tomorrow.
Attachments
hiway.jpg
hiway.jpg (501.21 KiB) Viewed 71 times
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

March 8, 1942

Quiet Night, Busy Day

Watching the movie, I almost thought we had a synch bug. Absolutely NOTHING happened, a first I think. The screen centered on PH and every pulse just jerked it a few pixels to the right, but nothing else happened. Weird. Then it was day and all hell broke loose. [:)]

1) Two subs in the Sea of Japan sititng co-located in hexs with red TFs. Shots? Heck no! On an intercept, USS Snapper lets fly at a tanker near Hakodate escorted by a PB. Mike maybe had to change his shorts. Dud of course. Next month with the magic non-PPI radar A-scope installed, this will be a bang-bang gun battle. Just you wait, kids.

The Dutch navy earns its pay again with a successful surface attack. All that remains after this hit is confetti floating on the warm southern seas:

Sub attack near Bara at 73,107

Japanese Ships
xAK Shofuku Maru, Torpedo hits 4, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KXIV

SS KXIV attacking on the surface

(Ummm . . . it sank.)

2) Bombers at Palembang get APD Alden. I believe this is the one I left there, on fire. Two others I sent to Batavia to patch some system damage. I think. Need to check next turn. Safe to say that the reign of the Fast Transports sneaking into Singers is over for now.

3) Singers, with replacements mostly off, is still above 20,000 supply. More huge raids, no attack. Thirty-one damaged bombers, 5 destroyed.

4) Oil raids on Djambi and Miri do no damage. Lose about five mixed models. The Dutch are beginning to transition into B-25s and out of the Orca-head bomber they start with (forget the model; don't want to remember that POS.) A few P-40Es are also seeping into the Dutch pools if they can hang on and benefit from them.

5) Prome's AF is hit agin with more damage now the d/l is higher. The 55th Cavalry Regiment heading for Akyab is also hit with Chinese bombers, shifting it to Combat if it was not. The Allies have a small armor unit there already, about 7000 supply ashore, and three large infantry units on the way, two by road, one overland. Cox's Bazaar has an Aussie division coming from Karachi by rail. Chittagong continues to build and is heavily garrisoned.

6) Ambon falls. I ordered a shock attack if the Japanese rested, figuring the advantage of forts was gone and that the Japanese would never be more tired than after yesterday. The shock attack never comes off. The Dutchmen die where they stand. No POW camps for these.

Ground combat at Ambon (76,109)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2218 troops, 22 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 86

Defending force 1198 troops, 26 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 7

Japanese adjusted assault: 47

Allied adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Ambon !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), fatigue(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1785 casualties reported
Squads: 42 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 131 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 11 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 18 (18 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 3

7) The RAAF patrol planes reach Canton Island. One is damaged on landing, and the pilots are near 30 fatigue. Not sure if they flew the search mission this turn. Several hits toward PH, but I do not think any are from this unit, and none read overtly as carriers. The UNDERDOG TFs are backing and filling, trying to catch up or slow down due to mixed Cruise and Mission speed orders between the carriers and landing ships. This is fine. A little slowness will work right now.
The Moose
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

The Dutch are beginning to transition into B-25s and out of the Orca-head bomber they start with (forget the model; don't want to remember that POS.)

I think Cap Mandrake coined the term "Dutch Uglofortresses" to describe those bombers. Seems appropriate as an identification! [:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

I prefer the term "hefalump".

Alfred

Return to “After Action Reports”