hehe

This forum supports the Early Access Program for the PC for Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM). iOS, Android and Mac releases are still in development. SPM is the ultimate game of space exploration. It is the mid 1950s and the race for dominance between the US and the Soviet Union is about to move into a new dimension: space. Take charge of the US or Soviet space agencies - your duty is be the first to the moon. Carefully manage your budget by opening programs, spending R&D funds on improving the hardware, recruiting personnel and astronauts and launching space missions in this realistic turn based strategy game.

Moderator: MOD_BuzzAldrin

czert2

hehe

Post by czert2 »

looks like like remake of old clasic space race. And will game end at moon landing as original or it will be more in future ? moon/mars base ? and will be posible to play esa if later not only nasa/russia side ?
EleSigma

RE: hehe

Post by EleSigma »

From everything I've read and seen it will cover the entire history of space flight up and into the near future, ending with a Mars landing. Also a few of the screenshots show a "GSA" which I guess stands for "Global Space Agency" So no idea on how and if BARIS style space race is in though.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

They seem to be downplaying the competitive angle ala BARIS and the cold war space race. Now this might not be the case, but it will certainly be remiss to leave it out. They could have a number of competitive era's by:
1. Winning political will with domestic programs competition (sort of like Army-Navy-Air force Vs VonBraun)
2. USSR V US.
3. International competition for lift capability.
4. Move toward corporate lifters for payloads and space tourism etc.
5. The new "space race" with China Vs Russia Vs US

I don't know their design decisions but it seems that competition is the key to any successful game. GSA just sounds like a way to avoid all that and make a click percentage simulator. Similarly, having three games might sound fine, but make sure they link and can be integrated.

Because if it is just gaining recognition and hence more money from Congress by achieving mission goals, you might as well make this a lobby group simulator. Space is exciting, make it a journey of discovery and competition. Make it educational and uplifting. Bring the brightest young minds back to being interested in technology and engineering... Please, make it a game more of thinking and less of just aimless clicking.

When I saw this will be available on the i-pad, I wonder what we have in store... [8|] Make me a believer please (or a tester if possible).

Anyway, I'll be buying and hoping that the design team "choose to go to the moon... not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of [their] energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win..."

Taken from http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/ricetalk.htm (It's worth reading the whole thing though)
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

There are 3 stages of the game - the first stage is to the moon. Later stages will cover the International space station and then Mars. The moon stage will release this summer. There will be competition but not against other space agencies. The reason to merge all space agencies together was to offer more replay value and more options. You are not limited to one sides designs - you can build any mission from any nation and many that never flew. There is a huge amount of content here!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Will all stages be connected to each other?
I mean a big campaign.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

I hope that there will also be the option to do the historical moon race. It would add to the game. It was a core component of the original. Push push push or the other side gets there first.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes the game will continue from Episode 1 to 2 and on to 3.

We wont be including the USSR/USA space race in the first game. We wanted to explore all the mission configurations for this game and might come back to the cold war space race later.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil
Yes the game will continue from Episode 1 to 2 and on to 3.

We wont be including the USSR/USA space race in the first game. We wanted to explore all the mission configurations for this game and might come back to the cold war space race later.
Thank you for your efforts to keep us informed. This sounds like it might be a good game and I'm looking forward to what this team has come up with. I do hope "might" will turn into an extra game though. I'm sure many of us would enjoy that extra dimension after the initial effort is released. I think you can gauge that too by the forum posts both here and in the press release section.

I've posted about it on spacesector and Adam did a blog entry http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/02 ... g-in-june/

Maybe when you get close, get him to do a review...

Cheers
czert2

Post by czert2 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

There are 3 stages of the game - the first stage is to the moon. Later stages will cover the International space station and then Mars. The moon stage will release this summer. There will be competition but not against other space agencies. The reason to merge all space agencies together was to offer more replay value and more options. You are not limited to one sides designs - you can build any mission from any nation and many that never flew. There is a huge amount of content here!
Will be posible to mod game to recreate cold war space race ? IMO despite "limited" option it was fun as hell. True, here was not many ahistoricl vehicles, only a few, but great replaybality was not only given by plaing agaisn another space agency, but in many diferent posibilites how to land on moon (shistorical, 2 man capsule + bigger moon land probe, posibility to launch booth in one rocket or in two..etc).
Will i try to go to historical or just try faster ahistorical landing ?
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Thank you for your efforts to keep us informed. This sounds like it might be a good game and I'm looking forward to what this team has come up with. I do hope "might" will turn into an extra game though. I'm sure many of us would enjoy that extra dimension after the initial effort is released. I think you can gauge that too by the forum posts both here and in the press release section.

Thank you for your kind words! I'm sure you'll love the game [:)]. As Iain said, we're considering the possibility of doing a "Race to the Moon" game at a later stage, but for the moment all our efforts are placed into the three parts that SPM will comprise.
ORIGINAL: czert2

Will be posible to mod game to recreate cold war space race ? IMO despite "limited" option it was fun as hell. True, here was not many ahistoricl vehicles, only a few, but great replaybality was not only given by plaing agaisn another space agency, but in many diferent posibilites how to land on moon (shistorical, 2 man capsule + bigger moon land probe, posibility to launch booth in one rocket or in two..etc).
Will i try to go to historical or just try faster ahistorical landing ?

No, sorry about that, we're not planning to make the game moddable. That being said, SPM features the LOR, EOR and Direct Ascent (via a modified Gemini) approaches, so you'll be able to choose the way you want to get to the Moon and take a different route than the one taken by Project Apollo in the 1960s and 1970s.
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
EleSigma

Post by EleSigma »

How will you prevent a player from constantly reloading a game and re-doing a launch over and over until they get a a successful mission? So we don't have moon landings in 1964-65. Which is possible in BARIS.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Another question: is it a solo game?
I mean no PBEM or so.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

ORIGINAL: EleSigma

How will you prevent a player from constantly reloading a game and re-doing a launch over and over until they get a a successful mission? So we don't have moon landings in 1964-65. Which is possible in BARIS.

We issue a warning first, and if they don't comply we format their whole hard drive! [:'(]

Just kidding, here's the mechanism we use: when a new game is created, we generate a unique random seed for it. We then keep that seed as part of the save information along with a counter that indicates how many times the pseudo-ramdom number generator (PRNG) has been invoked. When a saved game gets loaded, we initialize the PRNG with the seed and invoke it "counter" times in order to take it to the same state it was when the game was saved. That way, we ensure you'll always get the same outcome every time, irrespective of how many times you attempt to reload the game.
ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

Another question: is it a solo game?
I mean no PBEM or so.

Yes, SPM is a solo game.
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
RLA

Post by RLA »

Hello, I'm new, but full with curious questions about BASPM.

1. What means: "The moon stage will release this summer" ? Means this that the second and third stage of the game (ISS and Mars) become later in the game with a update, or means this that the second and third stage of the game are expansions where you need to pay it to have the stage(s)?

2. Is there also a plan to launch non-government satellites, and that if you doing a launch successful of them, that you earns also some funds from non-government parts?

3. How the basics of the game start (Meaning 1950-1955 era)? With building up from short-distance rockets to ICBM to orbital launcher?

4. Become there only American rockets / probes / manned spacecrafts in it, or become it a balanced mix of all big space agency's in one about that?

5. Maybe a bit off-the-box question, but if the manned mars mission comes in the later stage, then become it a return trip, or a one-way trip?
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

ORIGINAL: RLA
Hello, I'm new, but full with curious questions about BASPM.

Hello, welcome to the forums! [:)]
1. What means: "The moon stage will release this summer" ? Means this that the second and third stage of the game (ISS and Mars) become later in the game with a update, or means this that the second and third stage of the game are expansions where you need to pay it to have the stage(s)?

Part 2 and 3 will be released as paid expansions.
2. Is there also a plan to launch non-government satellites, and that if you doing a launch successful of them, that you earns also some funds from non-government parts?

Yes, we're planning to add something like what you described starting on part 2.
3. How the basics of the game start (Meaning 1950-1955 era)? With building up from short-distance rockets to ICBM to orbital launcher?

The game starts in 1955, a few years after the first successful supersonic flight. You'll be able to open a "Scientific research satellites" program (for the uncrewed branch of the tech tree) and the "Space planes" program (for the crewed branch of the tree).
4. Become there only American rockets / probes / manned spacecrafts in it, or become it a balanced mix of all big space agency's in one about that?

SPM features lots of programs and missions from the most important space agencies in the world. Most missions are American (NASA), but there's a healthy dose of soviet probes as well (especially for Venus), along with misions from ESA and JAXA.
5. Maybe a bit off-the-box question, but if the manned mars mission comes in the later stage, then become it a return trip, or a one-way trip?

It's a return trip. One of the available options will be the Mars Cycler concept envisioned by Dr. Aldrin, which indeed allows the crew to get back to Earth.
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
EleSigma

Post by EleSigma »

Will there be a Soviet counter to the X-15 space plane? Like a concept design such as the VKA-23 Design 1?
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

ORIGINAL: EleSigma

Will there be a Soviet counter to the X-15 space plane? Like a concept design such as the VKA-23 Design 1?

No, the only space plane featured in the game -apart from the Space Shuttle- is the X-15.
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
EleSigma

Post by EleSigma »

Is there any plans to add more craft with later updates? I really want to try and win the game using mostly Russian made craft like have a LK-700 landing, then launch the Mir and use the Buran to supply it. ESA Hermes would be nice too. :)
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

For Pt1 will there be a further breakdown of the different types of equipment available unlike the general type variety in BARIS ie there were 2 kinds of Saturn rockets the I & the V with the I not being the "to the moon" variety whereas the V was
RLA

Post by RLA »

I got again some questions, but this time not much:

1. What become early, solid rocket parts or liquid rocket parts? And can you early launch a satellite orbital with solid rocket tech or with liquid rocket tech?

2. What for type of unmanned moon missions become available? Only a fly-by and a landing, like BARIS. Or also Orbital, rover and sample-return?
Is there any plans to add more craft with later updates? I really want to try and win the game using mostly Russian made craft like have a LK-700 landing, then launch the Mir and use the Buran to supply it.

Well, So far I read there comes no Buran or other russian / europe spaceplanes in it. But I think there add sure more stuff later in the game [:)]

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”