Before I Buy

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
HowieWowie

Before I Buy

Post by HowieWowie »

I've been looking at HUE on and off for the last year or so. Back in the day I played Harpoon and loved it. I'm at either HUE or Janes Fleet Command. I've always pulled back from clicking the HUE buy button because of the steep learning curve. I realize that FC is not the same game game as HUE but it seems that I strikes a nice balance between complexity and ease of use.

So I'm hovering over the HUE buy button again. I've looked at the Tutorial videos but it looks like it'll take a good 20 hours of study before I can start playing. Am I wrong? I play a lot of complicated board war games so complex rules don't bother me. What I want to avoid is having to get burdened with learning how to micromanage in order to play the game effectively. I rather focus on strategic/tactical decisions.

HUE is a pricey game (you can get FC for $9.95) so although I'm drawn to it I have this nagging feeling that I'll regret the purchase afterwards. I'm interested in hearing from any new players please.
TonyE

RE: Before I Buy

Post by TonyE »

If you played Harpoon before you already have all of the skills to play it again.  Interface-wise both of the games (H2/H3/ANW and HC/HCE/HUCE) have hardly changed at all since their original releases roughly 15 and 20 years ago.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
CV32

Post by CV32 »

I'll readily admit to bias, but there is no contest between Harpoon (of any flavour) and Jane's Fleet Command.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
HowieWowie

Post by HowieWowie »

Thanks guys! I'm downloading the demo and looking around the Harpgamer site.

Are there any tutorials, guides etc. Its been years since I played the original game and my memory hasn't gotten better with time.

TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Not a ton more than what you've surely run into already (the WestPac 1.0 scenario for instance is a walk-through). Feel free to come chat with us and ask us questions. http://webchat.freenode.net/ (channel is #harpgamer)
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”