What wargame could you recommend

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Robak

What wargame could you recommend

Post by Robak »

Hello All,
I would like to ask you for recommendation for a wargame. Now I have WitE and Commander the great war. Both are excellent but I must admit that I like WitE more due to it's complexity. So the question is what other game you recommend in WWI and WWII period?:) I've seen some interesting positions also from schwerpunkt and HPS is it worth to buy?
Missouri_Rebel

RE: What wargame could you recommend

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Well if you like the complexity and want a WW1 game I would recommend World War One Gold.

Since you state that you like WitE I would also recommend Decisive Battles Operation Blue

If you have a good computer and don't mind what some think is a 'different' UI, I strongly recommend Achtung Panzer: Operation Star. Have to give it some time though. I tried it and put it down before picking it up again. Once I did I feel it is the best 3-d tactical game (with an operational level too) that I have ever played. The patching up is also chaotic, but there are many people, myself included, that can help you with that process.

For some cool screens check out this thread;
tm.asp?m=3080753
and
tm.asp?m=3221086

Not sure bout the HPS games. The graphics really put me off.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Robak

I would like to ask you for recommendation for a wargame. Now I have WitE and Commander the great war. Both are excellent but I must admit that I like WitE more due to it's complexity. So the question is what other game you recommend in WWI and WWII period?
You like complexity? Have I got a game for you!

War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Robak

Post by Robak »

Thanks for answer:) I've read about Operation star but I also tried to play SC Battle for Normandy and I don't know why it's too confusing for me;) Maybe because of the real time or real time and 3D.
Anyway I will look closer to this position:)
Josh

Post by Josh »

You could also take a look at the Decisive Campaign series; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1069
Also not that there is a expansion for WitE in the pipeline, War in the West, no idea when it will be released though.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: berto

I would like to ask you for recommendation for a wargame. Now I have WitE and Commander the great war. Both are excellent but I must admit that I like WitE more due to it's complexity. So the question is what other game you recommend in WWI and WWII period?
You like complexity? Have I got a game for you!

War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528

What he said!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hello All,
I would like to ask you for recommendation for a wargame. Now I have WitE and Commander the great war. Both are excellent but I must admit that I like WitE more due to it's complexity. So the question is what other game you recommend in WWI and WWII period?:) I've seen some interesting positions also from schwerpunkt and HPS is it worth to buy?

WW1Gold
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

Here's a related discussion I started. Might pick up some ideas in it:

tm.asp?m=3262550&mpage=1&key=&#3262550
Robak

Post by Robak »

Thanks guys for answers:)
wodin

Post by wodin »

oh yeah and War in the East AE. Also consider Gary Grigsby's Bombing the Reich game.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

If you like complexity then the Operational Art of War III would be my reco.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Robak

For WWII, have you tried World in Flames: Final Edition and for WWI, World in Flames- Fatal Alliances yet?

Attachments
WIFFATALADG0018.jpg
WIFFATALADG0018.jpg (65.96 KiB) Viewed 158 times
WIFX.jpg
WIFX.jpg (117.53 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Robak. What did you decide upon?
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Robak

Post by Robak »

Missouri_Rebel Now I'm gathering information:)
I've read about War in the Pacific but Pacific theater is not so familiar to me but for sure it's great game:)
Also World in Flames looks very interesting, I have to read about it.
I'm still open for suggestions:)
Orm

Post by Orm »

World in Flames is a great board game. But MWIF, the computer version, is not yet released. You can read about it on the forum.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
bill hunter

Post by bill hunter »

armoured brigade . free download , real potential. by the way , war in the pacific makes war in the east look like a walk in the park. a massive undertaking
Robak

Post by Robak »

ORIGINAL: Hurrying Heinz

armoured brigade . free download , real potential. by the way , war in the pacific makes war in the east look like a walk in the park. a massive undertaking
I'm starting to be more convinced to War in the Pacific;)
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

If you are going to get War in the Pacific I recommend you get the two user made utilities Combat Reporter and WitPTracker

Both are free and really enhance the understanding of this massive game.

And massive it is.

Return to “General Discussion”