Harpoon Ultimate Edition - Questions from a beginner

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
Geckomeister_MatrixForum

Harpoon Ultimate Edition - Questions from a beginner

Post by Geckomeister_MatrixForum »

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to harpoon.....well....played harpoon classic a long time ago and wouldnt say I mastered it.
Bought HUE and wanted to thank to development team both past an present.
I can see alot of love and caring attention has gone into the game.
Its funny because I have been gaming for at least 30 years and its amazing how a game with such technical depth,
but doesnt really match to todays graphical standards can still be so intriguing.

Anyway, was. wondering if anyone can give me some guidance as I would really like to master Harpoon if possible.

A few questions.....

1. Where can I find the best tutorials? (I noticed Harpoon For dummies on Youtube which looked really good)
2. With HUE there are so many games...which one should I start with? HCE? Harpoon 3?
3. In HUE there are 3 versions of Harpoon 3 - 3.6.3, 3.9.4 and then Harpoon ANW Ultimate edition.
As a beginner which one should I play? What are the benefits of using each? should I just pick HUE ANW?
4. Whats with all the databases? Dont they all contain the same ships/aircraft etc?
5. I noticed that in H3 that the database has pictures of some content and not others. Also, some versions display the content
differently (ie. 3.6.3 shows a picture of a ship and its schematic, HUE ANW just shows a photo. Is there anyway to update the media library to show
all the content? How can I get a complete set of media with the schematics?

I guess thats my first round of questions [;)]
Cheers
Gecks
panzer56

RE: Harpoon Ultimate Edition - Questions from a beginner

Post by panzer56 »

ORIGINAL: Geckomeister

2. With HUE there are so many games...which one should I start with? HCE? Harpoon 3?
Harpoon Classic and Harpoon3 Comparison

3. In HUE there are 3 versions of Harpoon 3 - 3.6.3, 3.9.4 and then Harpoon ANW Ultimate edition.
As a beginner which one should I play? What are the benefits of using each? should I just pick HUE ANW?
Trying to work out the best version for a novice

4. Whats with all the databases? Dont they all contain the same ships/aircraft etc?
They are all different and do not contain all the same ships/aircraft.

5. I noticed that in H3 that the database has pictures of some content and not others. Also, some versions display the content
differently (ie. 3.6.3 shows a picture of a ship and its schematic, HUE ANW just shows a photo. Is there anyway to update the media library to show
all the content? How can I get a complete set of media with the schematics?
Try ANW-and-HUE-Images
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

If you take HC(E) for a spin try the WestPac 1.0 scenario for a spin as your introduction. Orders file available at http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... rders-pdf/

The development and maintenance of HC happens at HarpGamer.com so if you end up playing more HC, come see us. The game has changed a fair bit since the Ultimate Edition release.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Geckomeister_MatrixForum

Thanks for the info guys.
Been going through the youtube vid and it was helpful.

Tonye,

On HC, you mean Harpoon Commanders Edition?
What sort of changes and where can I find the extra updates?

Also, is the PlayersDB the best DB out there?
Cheers
Gecks
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

On HC, you mean Harpoon Commanders Edition?
True, lots of renaming the game over the years [:@]. I call everything that came from Harpoon 1, HC (Harpoon Classic). That includes Harpoon, HC, HCE, HUCE.
What sort of changes and where can I find the extra updates?
Most importantly database updates to HCDB:
http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... -2015-era/
Secondarily changes to the game engine, scenario editor, etc.
http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... ent-files/ (find ReleaseNotes.txt in the newest zip file to read the changes build by build)
Also, is the PlayersDB the best DB out there?
PDB is not for HC. H3 databases are a contentious topic and I wouldn't dare call one "best" in general. I'm sure plenty of other people will call one DB or another "best".
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Geckomeister_MatrixForum

Thanks TonyE!

I will try and download them are give it a try.

Can I also ask about H3......I noticed on Harpgamer some posts referring to people and some old flame wars.
To be honest I just want to enjoy the game.
Its a bit of a poisonous atmosphere. :(
I mean its just a game...and compared to current mainstream its not even that graphically nice or user friendly.
I mean, the whole interface is at least 20yrs old.
But I really love the game.
And looks like alot of people share that love and passion.
Guess somewhere people stopped sharing that and started trying to be right or better.

Anyway I guess that sort of stuff will put people of playing.

So...with H3...what would you recommend?
I am open to suggestions?
Once I download a DB.....say HUD4 is there a single mission pack I can download that has all the scenario's?
Cheers
Gecks
Geckomeister_MatrixForum

Sorry another question.
Is there any weapon database with Harpoon HCE?
There is a pretty extensive list of weapons per platform, but is there any way to read tech detail about what they are or ig google my best friend.
Cheers
Gecks
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Can I also ask about H3......I noticed on Harpgamer some posts referring to people and some old flame wars.
True, and many more posts here with the same. You will probably get more prompt HUD4 responses if you post at HarpGamer.
Unfortunately politics leave me with only one choice to recommend, that being HUD4. Being a political answer it makes me feel rather slimy, others will (and surely have) approached you about other possibilities.
Once I download a DB.....say HUD4 is there a single mission pack I can download that has all the scenario's?
Unfortunately there is no single installer for HUD4 yet. I have sent a template for such a capability to people involved with HUD4 but they haven't put it to use to date. One member has bundled a number of Mark Gellis' scenarios together http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... r-the-hud/
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
panzer56

Post by panzer56 »

I am open to suggestions?
Once I download a DB, is there a single mission pack I can download that has all the scenario's?
Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Installing the PlayersDB
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Sorry another question.
Is there any weapon database with Harpoon HCE?
There is a pretty extensive list of weapons per platform, but is there any way to read tech detail about what they are or ig google my best friend.

Yes, there is a Microsoft Access based platform editor that comes with HC. It works with both the full version of access and any of the free runtime versions of Access. That gives you the ability to see and modify all details of the platforms.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
mavfin

Post by mavfin »

@the OP:

For Harpoon Commanders' Edition, take Tony's advice, and come to Harpgamer.

For H3, I think you're exactly right. It became about control to some people, and they thought they owned the game. Now there are other people pushing back against that. Those people aren't really squeaky clean, either, in their treatment of other people, imo. However, I don't think they're any worse than the others were. Neither side really has any high moral ground left at this point, and all the back-and-forth just drives new H3 customers away, as you said. Also, this whole thing about the DBs blew up five or six years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's all just noise now. If there were real copyright issues, there would have been lawsuits. There haven't been any. YMMV.

I won't touch the HUD4, myself, because it's encrypted/passworded, so you can't open it and fiddle with it if stuff doesn't work, and what testing I've done says a lot of stuff doesn't work. :( To me, being able to fiddle with the DB is part of the H3 experience, and has always been. The other DB (PDB) consistently works more often for me, and I can open it and fiddle with it if I have issues or disagree with it. Again, your choice and YMMV.

I'm sure the PDB people will jump in here to toot their own horns and put down the HUD4. I think they'd be less reviled if they could just let their product stand on its own and not put others down. As it is, they're just doing the same things that were done toward them before. My advice is to just ignore it and try both things to see what you like. In my experience, one works better than the other, but, there are underlying issues with all three versions of the game engine that cause issues, too.

That's why I end up playing HCE more than H3 these days. If I find a major bug or problem, Tony's right there at Harpgamer to help us out. :D H3 bugs, there's really no equivalent person who can actually fix things, afaik.

Disclaimer: I have no oar in the water here, other than being a player since 1995. I remember getting my first Harpoon update in the US Mail by floppy disk from Don Gilman, btw. I am not part of any database maintaining team, and only report my experiences. I do heartily support the harpgamer team in their support of HCE, as Tony codes fixes, and Brad keeps up the CDB.
--Mav
Spearfish

Post by Spearfish »

Hi, guys.

I'd like to buy H3 HUE edition at discount price to try Harpoon 3.6.3 game version. Yet I have a question about game editors shipped with HUE pack. Can I find scenario and database editors compatible with Harpoon 3.6.3 version inside H3 HUE game-pack?

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”