Standalone..

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
Toby42

RE: Standalone..

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Hi guys

Ageods plan was to make them expansions but we explained to them how many people who wanted BoR would not want to buy AJE as well just to get the missions from BoR so it made a lot more sense to make it stand alone so people could choose what they wanted. The plan is that small DLC packs like Cantabrian wars will remain expansions that require AJE but larger expansions like BoR will be stand alone so people can dip in at any time. This is best for gamers and best for us. AJE was released before Ageod joined the group. The pricing was planned to be the same either way - making it stand alone has not increased the price. There is no conspiracy theory about trying to con you in to buying AJE. There is no reason to moan. If we'd merged soon the change would have happened sooner. Lets not waste time arguing about something so unimportant! :)

The whole thing makes perfect sense to me. I really don't understand why some people have their panties in a twist!! I bought AJE and it's too cumbersome for me. I may try BOR because it looks like it would be more manageable because it covers less territory? I really like the BOR period better too....
Tony
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Hi guys

Ageods plan was to make them expansions but we explained to them how many people who wanted BoR would not want to buy AJE as well just to get the missions from BoR so it made a lot more sense to make it stand alone so people could choose what they wanted. The plan is that small DLC packs like Cantabrian wars will remain expansions that require AJE but larger expansions like BoR will be stand alone so people can dip in at any time. This is best for gamers and best for us. AJE was released before Ageod joined the group. The pricing was planned to be the same either way - making it stand alone has not increased the price. There is no conspiracy theory about trying to con you in to buying AJE. There is no reason to moan. If we'd merged soon the change would have happened sooner. Lets not waste time arguing about something so unimportant! :)

That makes sense to me as I am one of those guys, much more interested in Birth of Rome and don't care much about AJE.

Thanks for convincing them.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: DBeves
Well I dont think "distribution" of patches is necessarily a major issue - more what Challerain said regarding keeping both games up to date.

Note Matrix patching policy: each patch needs to get wrapped with an installer (with slightly different artwork in each case) and goes through a QA phase. That's doubling the publishing work.
ORIGINAL: DBeves
That largely comes down to the code base. I have never understood why Tiller for example takes so long to update his games series as any one of them in the same series uses the same engine. That he has to do so would suggest inefficient coding practices in that he cant just update the engine and it takes care of all the games in a series. If AGEOD have coded efficiently keeping all the games in a series shouldnt be a hurdle at all.

Good point regarding Tiller's games, DBeves. Regarding AGEOD I think that might well be the case. Note that updates for all their games tend to be released more or less within the same time frame. Which I think points towards them having a good management of code, artwork and data.
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

The plan is that small DLC packs like Cantabrian wars will remain expansions that require AJE but larger expansions like BoR will be stand alone so people can dip in at any time.

Iain, to be clear - does this mean that any additional small scenarios which are relesed will not work with BoR, you must have AJE?
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

At the moment that is the way it works yes, but we're going to see if there is anything we can do.

However there are no small DLC's planned at this stage, just larger expansions so the point is probably moot.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

Thanks Iain.

'... no small DLC's planned... just larger expanisions...'

Anything you'd like to share with us? [:)]
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: JiminyJickers

Hi guys

That makes sense to me as I am one of those guys, much more interested in Birth of Rome and don't care much about AJE.

Thats great for those who haven't already bought AJE however those who did because they believed they had to own it have a right to grumble..you where thinking of future customers but not the ones who already parted with their money thinking they needed the core game..yes it was a great price and all. Also yes if it was the case and we needed it yes we'd still have had to pay for BOR..however it turned out we didn't need it so say we really wanted BOR we've paid out double we had too. It may be unimportant to Slitherine and others, but not to those who payed out when they didn't need to.

Anyway I know it wasn't a conspiracy..I just think those who already had paid up thinking they needed it haven't been considered. Sort of well we've got their money already anyway.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

ORIGINAL: JiminyJickers

Hi guys

Thats great for those who haven't already bought AJE however those who did because they believed they had to own it have a right to grumble..you where thinking of future customers but not the ones who already parted with their money thinking they needed the core game..yes it was a great price and all. Also yes if it was the case and we needed it yes we'd still have had to pay for BOR..however it turned out we didn't need it so say we really wanted BOR we've paid out double we had too. It may be unimportant to Slitherine and others, but not to those who payed out when they didn't need to.

Anyway I know it wasn't a conspiracy..I just think those who already had paid up thinking they needed it haven't been considered. Sort of well we've got their money already anyway.

If AEGOD stayed independent it would have probably went that way? But with the merger all bets were off! I've been through several of them, and each time they said nothing will change, I ducked!!! Because it sure did change [8|]
Tony
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I eventually bought it because I like the era. BOR stand alone surprised me as well, and I agree with wodin. I don't feel like paying the same price for what is essentially an expansion (scenario pack), no matter what semantics and reasoning you wrap it up in. On the bright side, it is already relatively cheap compared to most Matrix offerings.
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

My last post in this topic but i am going to be clear.
-Is a joke that you say is not important this when the change in distribution by stand alone games improve the price of the final product (a DLC scen cost 3 euros in stand alone cost 4) and force players that want more scens pay for scen packs no the scens they want (i only want 2 of the scens in ROR) and force them have more than 1 game installed when are the same engine with diferent scens.

Who says they would have all been priced at that level ? The price you are using is for the existing DLC which are very small. Say the larger ones went for 7 or 8 euro ? Then it seems you have a bargain paying for standalone
-If this game model of stand alone is to made customer buy the "pack" he wants... WTF you dont do the same in your Field of Glory (i buy all except the last army pack) or Battlefield (i only buy the french pack)??? then this model is good for your games but bad for AGEOD games...

Yes. Its their business not yours.

I buy AJE in preorder in AGEOD, i support them buying their games but this movement made me take the decision of dont buy more AGEOD games in preorder or first days, i feel cheated and as we say in my country "one and no more".

Then you have even less reason to complain. Cause they sure as hell didnt say anything about all content for the next thousand years being available in separate DLC packs then

I know others that buy ROR an expect they enjoy it but after AGEOD change in their anounced plans i am going to see facts no promises before buy something from them.

Which if you were sensible and didnt want the content in the original is what you should have done in the first place.
EDIT: for me the problem is reduce to the AGEOD change in anounced plans (that where my buy info line because they never change them), for me (because my grandpa teach me this) a man value is on his words, if is unable to mantein their words/promises dont give him credibility... only believe 50% of the things he do and 0% of things he says.

Its 20 euros - not your life savings - and you have an excellent working game for the money. You seriously need to get some perspective. you have probably spent more in electricity running your computer typing your complaints than you did for the original game.

Magpius

Post by Magpius »

It's not about the money for me.
It's the bloat on the hard drives having to duplicate the same engine over and over again, every time a new period is released, not to mention having to update multiple times when a patch is released.
Imagine the grief if all the Panzer Corps scenario packs were standalone.

(and I can't believe that this topic is now bordering on heated).
hjc

Post by hjc »

Regarding the bloat on your hard drive caused by having two full intallations, if you email the devs or contact them via the ageod forums they have a solution [:)]
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Regarding the bloat on your hard drive caused by having two full intallations, if you email the devs or contact them via the ageod forums they have a solution ~BofH
That's a whole can of worms being opened up right there...
[:D]
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

For those interested, a beta quickfix patch for BOR is available on Ageod forums.

Aside from several corrections, this:

NEW FEATURE

BOR becomes AJE-aware!
Birth of Rome is now capable of using the AJE scenarios, if you installed it anywhere on your PC! Both games remain standalone, meaning you don't need to buy AJE to play BOR scenarios, but now, if you bought AJE, you only need to launch BOR to get the scenarios of both games!

[8D]

Regards

(PS: a beta quickfix patch was also released for AJE)
Former AJE team member
mbar

Post by mbar »

That's a nice feature that AJE scenarios intergrate with BOR.
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Sometimes the whining about the cost of entertainment really get me wondering. Like it is not about food or medicine or water or air. These are games. These are programs we put on larger devices in order to have fun. The larger devices cost one hundred times more than the programs we buy to entertain ourselves for a little while. Talk about disposable. I would be willing to bet most buy more than they play. That is to say the few who buy one and play it exclusively are the exception. We are blowing or wasting money to have fun. Like spending about the same to go to a movie. Less than it costs to have a fun meal out. A heck of a lot less than a golf round or other decadent activity.

Slitherine and AGEOD are feeling their way along. They changed their minds and offered new content as a stand alone product when they initially said they would be offering DLC to the game engine. It is no big deal. They are not trying to rip anybody off. They aren't getting rich. They ain't like the Wall Street bankers or Bernie Madoff or the like. They did not intentionally try to defraud or steal from you. This is peanuts and they are good people and their product is worth a heck of a lot more than they are able to charge. This is for fun. This a few bucks we get to blow in order to have a good time. It is a lot better than a lot of things I have wasted money on to have a good time. I don't regret spending a bit extra for these games. I look on it as investment in R & D.

If I really didn't like the first AJE because of the period it represented I would sure as heck have waited till the release of stuff I liked then bought them both.

If blowing a few bucks on entertainment is a big deal then I suggest there are cheaper ways to have a good time that won't stress you nearly as much. I recall a time when this was the case for me. It may come again but I won't be whining about it.

Chill, Dudes!

Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

There's enough faux entitlement, silly drama and angst in this thread to spawn a new reality TV show.

What Dale H say +1
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

Could someone please post a link to the hotfix patch? I would like BOR to scan for AJE scenarios. That's a handy feature. I have searched the AGEOD forums and I'll be darned if I can find the patch, or even a mention of it in a post.

Thanks,
MJ

Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

At last, a post about the Game!

BOR Quickfix

Before people start whining some more about the .rar compression file, you can open it with 7-Zip.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

This is nothing compared as to what goes on over at Gary Grigsby’s War in the East forum. They are down right nasty with the Dev's. Calling them Everything from Russian Lovers, German Haters and Communist! It's so bad that I just check in once in awhile. I can't believe that the most ardent complainers are still playing the game??

This is "Quiet Water" here [:'(]
Tony

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”