MWIF and WIF annuals

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Vanman

MWIF and WIF annuals

Post by Vanman »

Greetings all. I have been lurking on this site for quite sometime, enthusiastically awaiting the arrival of this game. I have not played the boardgame since around 1990 so it has been a long time. I am keen to buy some kind of strategy guide and so have been looking at the assorted WIF annuals that have been released over the years. My question is, which annual would you most recommend in the context of MWIF? Do I just assume the 2008 version is the best, even though it contains additions that will not be included in MWIF such as 'Factories in Flames'? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks aplenty. Steve.
Steve
Jimm

RE: MWIF and WIF annuals

Post by Jimm »

ORIGINAL: Vanman

Greetings all. I have been lurking on this site for quite sometime, enthusiastically awaiting the arrival of this game. I have not played the boardgame since around 1990 so it has been a long time. I am keen to buy some kind of strategy guide and so have been looking at the assorted WIF annuals that have been released over the years. My question is, which annual would you most recommend in the context of MWIF? Do I just assume the 2008 version is the best, even though it contains additions that will not be included in MWIF such as 'Factories in Flames'? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks aplenty. Steve.

Hi Vanman.

For strategy I would recommend the 1998 annual. There are country by country strategy articles which are still pretty valid (in my humble opinion).
The 95 one is not Final Edition so it is out of date however the ships stuff in it is excellent- it is my favourite to return to (I like Ships!).
The 2000 one has a lot of focus on Patton in Flames which is great but not very relevant to the main game. It does have a couple of good articles.
I personally thought the 2008 one was a bit thin in content albeit there are a few useful rules updates. (Factories in Flames is all very well if you are playing in a barn and have another acre of horizontal surface spare to put factory sheets on)!

so, 1998 for my money, but other opinions are available.
Jimm
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Welcome to the forum.[:)]

Jimm is better informed than I on the different Annuals, so I would just go with his advice if I were you.

Actually most of the rules changes and corrections from the 2008 Annual are in MWIF. In particular, all various additions to the units have been added in. This section from the Players Manual describes what is in (and not in) MWIF.

---

2.2.2 World in Flames Add-ons from Australian Design Group
Included:
• Ships in Flames (integrated into MWIF and not optional)
• Planes in Flames (integrate into MWIF and not optional)
• Asia Aflame (map replaced by the unified scale global map; optional rules included as such)
• Africa Aflame (map replaced by the unified scale global map; optional rules included as such)
• Mech in Flames (as optional rules)
• Carrier Planes in Flames (as optional rules)
• Cruisers in Flames (as optional rules)
• Convoys in Flames (as optional rules)
• WiF 2008 Errata (integrated into MWIF and not optional)

Not included:
• Days of Decision III (pre-1939)
• America in Flames (post 1945)
• Patton in Flames (post 1945)
• Politics in Flames (adds complexity); units that do not need new rules are included (e.g., Guderian).
• Leaders in Flames (adds complexity)
• Factories in Flames (a new addition in 2008)

2.2.3 Optional rules
Included optional rules (in parentheses is the numbering from Rules as Written):
• Divisions (2)
• Artillery (3)
• Fortifications (5)
• Supply units (6)
• Combat engineers (7)
• Construction engineers (7)
• Flying boats (8)
• Territorial units (10)
• Limited overseas supply (11)
• Limited supply across straits (12)
• HQ support (13)
• Emergency HQ supply (13)
• Synthetic oil plants (14)
• Off city reinforcement (15)
• HQ movement (17)
• Bottomed ships (18)
• In the presence of the enemy (19)
• Surface combat ship transports (25)
• Amphibious rules (26)
• Optional carrier planes searching (27)
• Pilots (28)
• Food in flames (29)
• Factory construction (30)
• Saving resources (31)
• Carpet bombing (32)
• Tank busters (33)
• Motorized movement rates (34)
• Bombers as air transports (35)
• Large air transports (36)
• Railway movement (37)
• Defensive shore bombardment (38)
• Blitz bonus (39)
• Chinese attack weakness (40)
• Fractional odds (41)
• Allied combat friction (42)
• Two 10 sided dice land combat results table (43)
• Extended aircraft rebasing (44)
• Variable reorganization costs (45)
• Partisans (46)
• Isolated reorganization limits (47)
• Oil rules (48)
• Night missions (52)
• Twin engine bombers (53)
• Fighter-bombers (54)
• Outclassed fighters (55); renamed as Backup Fighters
• Carrier planes (56)
• Internment (58)
• Kamikazes (60)
• Offensive chits (61)
• Ski troops (65)
• The Queens (66)
• City based volunteers (67)
• Siberians (68)
• Naval supply units (69)
• Guard banner armies (70)
• Chinese warlords (71)
• Cruisers in Flames (75)
• Rough seas (75)
• Convoys in Flames (76)

Future Expansion optional rules
• Recruitment limits (16)
• Surprised zones of control (20)
• Bounce combat (22)
• V weapons (23)
• Atomic bombs (23)
• Frogmen (24)
• Hitler’s war (49)
• USSR-Japan compulsory peace (50)
• En route interception (51)
• Limited aircraft interception (57)
• Flying bombs (59)
• Ukraine (62)
• Intelligence (63)
• Japanese command conflict (64)
• Partisan HQs (72)
• Oil tankers (76)
• Naval offensive chit (an old variation on the optional rule for offensive chits)

Not included:
• African and Scandinavian maps (1). These are subsumed by the unified global map.
• Pacific and Asian map zones of control (4). Irrelevant with the unified global map.
• Ships in Flames (9). Integrated into MWIF and no longer optional.
• Hidden task forces (21).
• Heavy weapons units (73). Part of post 1945 add-ons.
• Air Cav (74). Part of post 1945 add-ons.

Additional optional rules:
• Scrap units (the rule for scrapping units is not optional in WIF FE; it is in MWIF)
• Add Chinese cities (to accommodate the increased number of hexes in China)
• Unlimited breakdown (since there is no printing constraint on the number of unit counters)
• Extended game (a commonly used house rule in over-the-board games)
• Breaking the Nazi-Soviet Pact (makes it somewhat easier for Germany to declare war on the USSR in 1941).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
bo

Post by bo »

Hi Vanman welcome to the forums, I believe Jimm is right on with the 1998 Annual, great tips on playing, hints, for all combatants USA,Japan etc. I have the pdf manual and if you are interested I will be glad to send it to you or to anyone else that would like to have it. If anyone would like the 1998 Annual please post your e-mail here or send your e-mail to me at:

[bowenw1@verizon.net]

Bo
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yipes, that was a copyrighted publication. If people want it they should buy it.
Paul
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Yipes, that was a copyrighted publication. If people want it they should buy it.

Please explain Paul, not being argumentative in any way but I did not pay for it, if I remember right I asked ADG for it and either they sent it to me or they told me where to get it, it was a while ago, there were no charges of any kind and unless someone from ADG or Matrix or Steve tells me it is improper to send it to anyone I will continue to do so.

Bo
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

Dear WWII Game Enthusiasts,

Thank you for your purchase and we hope you enjoy our strategic-level WWII game! After 10 years we still have not cracked the enigma of V-weapons and atomic bombs -- how the heck does anyone code these things?!?!? We hope these absent items do not affect immersion or your ability to enjoy our WWII game... maybe pretend the game takes place on a different planet? Anyhoo, maybe in our "Future Expansion" in another 10 years we'll finally crack those stubborn nuts.

Also, supply and resource transit still don't work. Is this a big deal?

Sincerely,

The MWiF Team

PS: AI opponent will be coming someday, WE PROMISE!!!
bo

Post by bo »

Update on the 98 annual: paul was concerned that ADG's annual 98 was copyrighted material and could not be distributed without ADG's permission. I am assuming he was trying to protect me from any consequences that might arise from me distributing the annual. It was sent to me by ADG without charge or any restrictions several years ago, I have not been told as of this post that I cannot distribute the annual 98, so until someone tells me differently I will send it to anyone who feels it would be a help in learning this masterful game.

Bo
Jimm

Post by Jimm »

Crussbaby! Stop it, you're killing me.

Jimm
HansHafen

Post by HansHafen »

You have made your point, now get a life. Is there a way to hide this idiots posts? It's like a stalker you can't get rid of. Why do we let this worthless poster to remain on the forums?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: HansHafen

You have made your point, now get a life. Is there a way to hide this idiots posts? It's like a stalker you can't get rid of. Why do we let this worthless poster to remain on the forums?
warspite1

HansHafen I know you mean well but to be honest I think you were a little hard on Jimm there.....

[;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

very simple ..click on the green circle on the button of his post. then you block him
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
bo

Post by bo »

It is called freedom of speech, a quaint American custom, [;)] and that is what the posts are all about the right of anyone to express their views regardless of content except for bad language and grievous insults to any individual on these posts, which then, and only then, should not be tolerated.

Bo
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: bo

It is called freedom of speech, a quaint American custom, [;)] and that is what the posts are all about the right of anyone to express their views regardless of content except for bad language and grievous insults to any individual on these posts, which then, and only then, should not be tolerated.

Bo

yes there is freedom of speech, but you have also a choose if you want to hear that speech

in the real world you can stand up and walk away from a speech, where you can block a speech.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

HansHafen I know you mean well but to be honest I think you were a little hard on Jimm there.....

[;)]

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle... Wartspite has a sense of humor!!!
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

ORIGINAL: bo

Bo

yes there is freedom of speech, but you have also a choose if you want to hear that speech

in the real world you can stand up and walk away from a speech, where you can block a speech.

Come now, isn't it time to update your signature? I mean, even all the way from Denmark it should be apparent that Peyton Manning is not, and never was a god.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

warspite1

[;)]

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle... Wartspite has a sense of humor!!!
warspite1

Removed.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Jimm

Post by Jimm »

Why do we let this worthless poster to remain on the forums?
warspite1

[;)]
Chuckles
I often wonder myself.... :-)
Jimm

Return to “World in Flames”