Richard III

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

Richard III

Post by wodin »

Dennistoun

RE: Richard III

Post by Dennistoun »

I only bought Sharon K Penman's
"Sunne in Splendour" last night aswell...
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

He came to a very sticky end at Bosworth. He was the last English monarch to die in battle.

Some Yorkists were present for much of the archaelogical excavation.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
wodin

Post by wodin »

Last of the Great Plantagenets aswell
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: teddy

I only bought Sharon K Penman's
"Sunne in Splendour" last night aswell...

I love Penman's books. Sunne in Spendor was excellent.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

The next step is to DNA test those 2 boys' bones they found in the Tower...they were Richard's nephews.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

The next step is to DNA test those 2 boys' bones they found in the Tower...they were Richard's nephews.
warspite1

Let's hope so - could help to piece another part of the jigsaw...
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

And that will be very interesting.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Looks like they've found his Skull\skeleton under a car park...

The twist in his spine was clearly visible, but I doubt he was a hunchback; ole Will Shakespeare really did a hatchet job on him to please QE I.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Why was he so bad?  I have read very little on him.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

He is hated because he slept with Dutch women, which has been a sign of moral weakness for thousands of years.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Apparently the history of Richard III about being an evil tyrant may not be so true..The Richard III society is trying to show that actually alot written was propaganda and myth.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Apparently the history of Richard III about being an evil tyrant may not be so true..The Richard III society is trying to show that actually alot written was propaganda and myth.

Yeah, the are called Ricardians. I have just been reading the posts on the Wall Street Journal column about this. And man I had no idea that there was such passion about Richard III, on both sides.

Like this poster:
"The undisputed facts are that all of the Plantagenet heirs who stood in line to the thrown above Richard III disappeared as he rose to power. Only a fool would think Richard III was innocent. Shakespeare was not a fool or a tool of the Tudors"

Or this:

"Although Shakespeare is known to have altered chronology for dramatic effect, it is very likely that he was in possession of better information as to Richards character than is Andrew Roberts. It is also a bit droll that he indicts Stanley for turning his coat at Bosworth. Surely, Richard was not capable of such treachery."

Wonder who is right!
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I just remember the Steely Dan Kings song that made a reference to the 'Good King Richard' with lyrics that mocked him. Killer tune btw.

I wonder if this song was about him?

'While he plundered far and wide
All his starving children cried
And though we sung his fame
We all went hungry just the same
He meant to shine
To the end of the line.

We seen the last of good King Richard
Ring out the past, his name lives on and on
Roll out the bones and raise up your pitcher
Raise up your glass to Good King John'

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

"The undisputed facts are that all of the Plantagenet heirs who stood in line to the thrown above Richard III disappeared as he rose to power. Only a fool would think Richard III was innocent. Shakespeare was not a fool or a tool of the Tudors"

People like that amaze me. Did that guy live at the same time as Shakespeare and know him, gauging why he portrayed Richard III based on his replies? The Tudors could be pretty brutal at times as well.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

I just remember the Steely Dan Kings song that made a reference to the 'Good King Richard' with lyrics that mocked him. Jiller tune btw.

I wonder if this song was about him?

'While he plundered far and wide
All his starving children cried
And though we sung his fame
We all went hungry just the same
He meant to shine
To the end of the line.

We seen the last of good King Richard
Ring out the past, his name lives on and on
Roll out the bones and raise up your pitcher
Raise up your glass to Good King John'

I dunno, that "good King Richard..." part is just to vague.[8|]
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I dunno, that "good King Richard..." part is just to vague.

lol you asshat. I didn't know if there were several King Richards. English history is not one of my strong points. Neither is written English, but I do know it's TOO, not TO, you insufferable scamp.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

The Steely Dan song refers to Richard I, who ruled England from 1189-1199, and was succeeded by his brother John, as the Robin Hood legends tell.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

King John Lackland succeeded King Richard the Lionheart. Maybe it is about Richard I the Lionheart? I don't know. Richard III was succeeded by Henry VII.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
I dunno, that "good King Richard..." part is just too vague.

lol you asshat. I didn't know if there were several King Richards. English history is not one of my strong points. Neither is written English, but I do know it's TOO, not TO, you insufferable scamp.

Moi?

I forgot you were from Mizzouri. Also, you paste-encrusted wangwipe, you learned what about to and too, I think all of have no idea to what you are referring. Churchill would be proud that I did not end that sentence in a preposition.

Return to “General Discussion”