Birth of Rome patches.

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
stormbringer3

Birth of Rome patches.

Post by stormbringer3 »

If I buy Birth of Rome through Matrix will the patches be RAR or Zip? I can't open my patches for AJE because they're RAR and I haven't bothered trying to find out what software is best to open them up. Will Matrix ever have Zip patches for AJE?
Thanks.
wodin

RE: Birth of Rome patches.

Post by wodin »

Download WinRar or 7zip..both free..
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Did you pick this up yet? I'm still on the fence??
Tony
wodin

Post by wodin »

No mate..got AJE..never given it the time it deserves though to be honest..until the Germanic tribes\Brits and Gauls come along I think I will hold off..I found with AJE having little Ancient Warfare and historcial Knowledge meant I never really knew what I was supposed to be doing or how to do it with no reference point in my mind to go by. I think though my fascination with the tribes will help me more if and when the game includes them. Then I may go and pick up the rest and some point. Until then though I'm leaving it.
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

I would need to download extra software to be able to install patches? I haven't seen this on any other game I have got through matrix.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Ralzakark,
I bought AJE from AGEOD before they hooked up with Matrix. The patches for AJE are in a RAR form instead of Zip. The link in this forum for the AJE patch takes you to the AGEOD site which has the patch in RAR form. Since the companies have now joined up, I asked my question above about the patches being released in a Zip form which is norm for the USA.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

rar and zip are commonly used everywhere. Get 7zip for free, install and associate with .zip and .rar, and there you go - nothing could be easier.

Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

Easier would be not having to install third party software to patch the game.

But it is no big deal if the game is good.
Montbrun

Post by Montbrun »

Download 7-zip - http://www.7-zip.org/ - it's free, and handles almost all of the compression formats.
WitE Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE Research Team
WitE2.0 Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE2.0 Research Team
WitW Alpha/Beta Tester
WitW Research Team
Piercing Fortress Europa Research Team
Desert War 1940-1942 Alpha/Beta Tester
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

ORIGINAL: Ralzakark

Sorry but this is a redicilous complaint. Do you complain about having to have Adobe Acrobat installed to read the manual or having to have Flash installed to view video clips online.

Install 7-zip as has been suggested here. A program like this is essential software if you are using Windows.
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

ORIGINAL: JiminyJickers

Sorry but this is a redicilous complaint. Do you complain about having to have Adobe Acrobat installed to read the manual or having to have Flash installed to view video clips online.

Install 7-zip as has been suggested here. A program like this is essential software if you are using Windows.

DBeves

Post by DBeves »

Win Rar is not actually free you know.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

For the time being, they'll be as AGEOD's, though we can easily put them in a zip instead of a rar if that's easier for everyone.

In the longer term, we'll integrate them into our normal installer process and they'll be delivered just like our other updates, though that will likely be for future releases.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Erik,
Thanks for your post. For me, it would be great to have a Zip patch. Although I've been a PC gamer for over 20 years, I'm not that PC savvy. Of all the PC games I've bought and patched, AJE is the first one that required RAR. Even BoA and ACW used Zip.
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

No mate..got AJE..never given it the time it deserves though to be honest..until the Germanic tribes\Brits and Gauls come along I think I will hold off..I found with AJE having little Ancient Warfare and historcial Knowledge meant I never really knew what I was supposed to be doing or how to do it with no reference point in my mind to go by. I think though my fascination with the tribes will help me more if and when the game includes them. Then I may go and pick up the rest and some point. Until then though I'm leaving it.

For the record, in the Samnite War and specially in the Ager Gallicus scenario, part of BOR, you may find lots of Gallic tribes: Senones, Boii, Cenomanii,...

Regards

(PS: a beta patch for BOR is already available, for now in the Ageod forums)
Former AJE team member
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

Well, not that essential as I’ve managed without it up to now. Don’t assume that everyone has your degree of IT literacy or uses their computer in the same way as you do.

@Brad Hunter – thanks for the link.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Well, not that essential as I’ve managed without it up to now. Don’t assume that everyone has your degree of IT literacy or uses their computer in the same way as you do.

I'm not assuming anything.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920.exe

Click the link above and choose somewhere to save. Choose run when you have downloaded it, accept all the default options.

You did exactly the same when you installed the game. It doesn't require anything more than when you installed the game. If you are capable enough to post here and install the game, then you are capable of installing the software required to install the patch.

People are just trying to help you. But if you don't want to be helped, then so be it.

I'll stop trying now, have a good day regardless and ask if you require any help in the future.[:)]

barkman44

Post by barkman44 »

If you download anything of large size it usually compressed or as it is called zipped.
The thing i like about winrar is it will work on zip files also.
Just google winrar go to the site and follow instructions.
Once installed it works automatically when you double click on a compressed file.
It basically is free but after the trial period is up everytime you use it it will say trial has expired
and gives you several options one of which is to use it anyway.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Erik,
Thanks for your post. For me, it would be great to have a Zip patch. Although I've been a PC gamer for over 20 years, I'm not that PC savvy. Of all the PC games I've bought and patched, AJE is the first one that required RAR. Even BoA and ACW used Zip.

7zip can be used with .rar files. Get 7zip. Install 7zip, and during the install it asks you if you want to associate 7zip with rar files. Answer yes. You don't even have to tell Windows to use 7zip then, just click on the .rar file.

Panama Red

Post by Panama Red »

"7-zip" is also a better compressor than the other types out there too.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”