Eastern Front 1941-1945 Scenario. v4 11/2015

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

governato

RE: Eastern Front 1941-1945 Scenario Notes: Calculating Replacement Rates

Post by governato »

OK here are some quick suggestions for the players after some good feedback.

- Axis: remember to split the Rail Repair units. If split in two, each new RR unit will have a 75% chance of repair.
That will ensure an historical rate of repair on the main lines and some flexibility on where the repairs happen.

- Red Army: the counter density is low at start, you will need to split some of your armies into corps to cover the front. This is largely by design as the proficiency penalty accounts for the weaknesses of the units raised in the Summer of 1941. As the units with a light red background do not reconstitute the Red Army runs the risk of 'running out of counters' if it suffers too many encirclements and overruns. This is by design and it is meant to simulate the near collapse of the Red Army Command & Control network during Barbarossa.

- Help the PO Axis by moving its Air units forward after a few turns.

These suggestions are in the pdf, but being 14 pages long they are worth highlighting here!
samurai023

RE: Eastern Front 1941-1945 Scenario.

Post by samurai023 »

Hey, governato!

I am currently playing your scenario against Soviet computer (strong but no cheat). So far, I have played 2 turns and managed to approach Smolensk in the center. At the end of T2, I could see the "industrial unit" in Smolensk, as shown in the picture below. I suppose the anti-craft unit represents Soviet factories in Smolensk? Because I find a similar one at Kiev named "Soviet Cities Kiev T4".

But at the beginning of T3 (I started T3 first), the "industrial unit" has gone. According to my understanding of the scenario description, this unit at Smolensk could only be evacuated at or after T3. So I am a bit confused about what Soviet PO did in T2. Do you have any idea about what happened?

Attachments
Snap13.jpg
Snap13.jpg (229.4 KiB) Viewed 364 times
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

Here is the situation at the beginning of T3

Attachments
Snap14.jpg
Snap14.jpg (234.36 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

I may drop in.. It doesn't matter who moves first. The unit is withdrawn at the beginning of Turn 3, during the bookkeeping phase, before the movement/combat phase.
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

I see.
governato

Post by governato »

Yup, thanks Telumar for chiming in. Those are the industrial units (they are AAs to make bombing them harder). The system is working as intended. The PO is putting a fight and so it should not be possible to get to Smolensk before that unit is withdrawn at the start of T3. The Red Army will still suffer penalties from losing that hex (6% I think) but not as big as letting the the hex be overrun by turn 2 by moving/disbanding everything out of the way. The scope of this feature is to avoid unrealistic withdrawals (a problem of some scenarios and also of some East Front games). Samurai, post a screenshot if you make it to Moscow!
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

Got it. I love this idea very much, as well as some other features including variable ZOC cost for Axis and various theater options to simulate historical offensive operations. Great job! This is a fantastic scenario.

I will definitely post a screen shot when I occupy Moscow. Hope it will not take too many turns .[:D]
captain10

Post by captain10 »

I just want to thank Governato for this awesome scenario. I love TOAW and the Eastern Front but I don't have the time nor the patience for other monster scenaries. Eastern Front is just what I was looking for.
I've played the Eastern Front scenaryio till winter 1941 against Elmer using both sides and it has been a big fun and I'm sure if I play against a human opponent it will be amazing.
Thank you again, Governato.[&o]
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

Turn 7: Moscow occupied!

Leningrad had fallen on T4. Soviet computer did not put any army in Leningrad...

Attachments
EastFront..Occupied.jpg
EastFront..Occupied.jpg (238.46 KiB) Viewed 366 times
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: samurai023

Turn 7: Moscow occupied!

Leningrad had fallen on T4. Soviet computer did not put any army in Leningrad...

Samurai023: You should probably play with somebody bigger and smarter than poor Elmer (the AI)! Or at least activate the 'rebalance' TO, that gives extra supply and logistic support to the Red Army. Also, the AI sometimes protects Leningrad and sometimes it does not. I will probably set the Leningrad garrisons on static for the AI
in a mildy revised version (this coming Spring probably).

carlos2012: why thanks!

I am currently playing a game with SMK-at-work and we are both complaining how the game (currently past blizzard, T28) is obviously biased in favor ...of the other side. I take it as a good sign.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

That's not true - I am not complaining about that at all.

I am complaining it is insufficiently biased in my favour :)
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Jeff Norton

Post by Jeff Norton »

wow... and even got the leg Corps there too.... Amazing!
-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

Sure. But now I would like to know more about east front history, like battles, commanders, OOB, strategic plans as well as tactics. Any recommended readings about these?
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

I was just lucky. The axis shock in the first turn made it possible to destroy red army troops just by right-clicking. After that, there was almost no resistance until Moscow. I found some static red army units south to the road from Smolensk to Moscow. A human opponent would definitely use those units to block the road in advance.
governato

Post by governato »

Glantz's 'when titans clashed'. Well written, fun to read. (the rest of Glantz's production is too information dense IMO)

There is also a list of good reads at the bottom of the pdf that comes with Eastern Front...

Btw here is minimalist list of game suggestions that emerged from players' feedback.

- Axis
-1 split your Rail Repair units and spread them to maximize chances of rail repair.
-2 limit with your infantry losses.

-Red Army
-1 split your Armies as soon as they arrive. Recombine them in Winter when counter densoty increases.
-2 empty Armies on trains are prone to evaporation if bombed. Keep them away from German bombers.
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

Thanks a lot. Yes, I saw the list at the end of the description file. I just want to ask a best one to begin with [;)].

Good tips. I remember you already suggested axis players to split rail repair units in the description file and I found this very useful.
governato

Post by governato »

yeah I realized that in most scenario it's unusual to split units voluntarily so it needs to be stressed out.
...in EF this approach is used to model the improvement of the Red Army C&C from summer to Winter (split units have lower proficiencies). In a revised version Summer 41 Red Armies and German RR units will arrive 'divided'.
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

Good idea. I found that the rail repair ability of the undivided division level unit is 99%, while that of the divided regimental level unit is 75%. So dividing them is indeed the best choice.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I like "Slaughterhouse" as a general overview better than Glantz - the maps are better and the short summaries of the war progress are easier to read IMO .

It also has a heap of biographical and unit info at the back that you probably do not need, but which does provide some interesting background as to how things went for individuals and various high level units (armies, Corps, divisions)
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
samurai023

Post by samurai023 »

Thanks a lot! I will read both then. Actually I am very interested in unit info! Perhaps it is exactly the book I want to read!

Return to “Scenario Design”