THE THREAD!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dixie

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Ah, thank you! So a bunch of guys in the neighborhood got together for a game of football...and ended up beating one of the top teams in the country.

So does this mean that Bradford goes up to the top league now? And how did they end up playing each other anyway? Theoretically is sounds like a far gone conclusion.

I wouldn't call Villa a top team. [:D] It's just how the cup competitions work over here. They pit teams from different leagues against each other so it's not unusual to see lower level teams playing against Premier League sides. The cups are completely independent of the league competitions, success in a cup has no bearing on a team's position in the league.

I'm not sure how things work over there and whether you have separate cup competitions? It's my understanding that a professional sporting competition has one league (MLS, NBA etc) and that's your lot? As I understand it, your leagues are split along roughly geographical lines but to all intents and purposes the MLS Eastern and Western divisions are, by design, effectively on an equal footing. I assume things are the same for hockey, basketball and rugby with pads as well?
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: sprior
he is a bit up himself sometimes.

Most Liverpool fans are, a bit like Man U fans.

Yeah, but this season is definitely going to be their season. [:D]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

My English neighbor is a bit down this morning, his English soccer team (Liverpool I think)was beaten my a lowly team called Oldham (I think) last night. His chin is just about dragging on the ground, but I am filled with joy, as he is a bit up himself sometimes.

You should poke him while he's feeling down. Maybe ask why Liverpool have used the name of the city when they are the second best team in Liverpool? Or ask when they'll buy Stewart Downing a right foot. Or just point out what an excellent investment Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Andy Carroll turned out to be.

Maybe mention that you've heard they are thinking about linking up with a bigger team, like Everton.

For perspective, Liverpool are 7th in the league. Oldham are the equivalent of 63rd and near the bottom of their division.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: Dixie
I'm not sure how things work over there and whether you have separate cup competitions? It's my understanding that a professional sporting competition has one league (MLS, NBA etc) and that's your lot? As I understand it, your leagues are split along roughly geographical lines but to all intents and purposes the MLS Eastern and Western divisions are, by design, effectively on an equal footing. I assume things are the same for hockey, basketball and rugby with pads as well?

I know youve explained it before, but I still find English football very confusing.

The only US sport I follow with regularity is basketball, where the league is divided along geographical lines, but I think both baseball and football have 2 sub-leagues the winners of which play each other in the national championship.
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: sprior
he is a bit up himself sometimes.

Most Liverpool fans are, a bit like Man U fans.

Isnt that true for most Scousers, independent of football?
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

he is a bit up himself

[:D][:D][:D]

I like that phrase. Might borrow it sometime.
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

It's an English Soccer thing, sort of like American Apple pie. [;)]

So I gathered, but whats the joke? [&:]

Sigh... Mice are so one dimensional, it's wasn't a joke, it was a metaphor.

And emus are too self centered. I was referring to Simon's comment, not yours. [8|][:'(]
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

The Pro Bowl
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Is the worst

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Game In All Of Sports.

Game UNP... haven't had one in ages.

Dez caught it
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: Grollub

ORIGINAL: Grollub

"Brännboll" isn't something played in a seriuos way in any form of leaugue with set rules. It's something that kids play on the schoolyard. Sorry, but the comparison doesnt hold up [:'(]

I'm sure you guys have some odd sports I dont know about (Kubb? Although I shouldnt talk about that. If I understand it correctly the Russians have a version of that even more elaborate).

Besides, baseball and football arnt really hard to understand. One is just boring as **** and the other is taken way too seriously. I mean, its not like Curling or anything.

Kubb is also, as brännboll, one of those garden/picnic games.

... so we never do anything silly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3e64sosEg [8|][;)]

Does going to Denmark for cheap booze count?

Cant imagine why anyone would go to Estonia. [:D]
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

You almost had me...5 seconds

Dez caught it
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

How did I miss that one? [X(]
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I know youve explained it before, but I still find English football very confusing.

The only US sport I follow with regularity is basketball, where the league is divided along geographical lines, but I think both baseball and football have 2 sub-leagues the winners of which play each other in the national championship.

I guess it's simple enough when you've grown up with it [:D] However, to an outsider I suspect most European sports leagues are a confusing subject.

There are a lot of leagues at a variety of different levels (20+ in total). Then there are several cup competitions which are independent of the leagues, although some are restricted to teams from certain leagues. If the leagues confuse you then the cups definitely will.

The FA Cup: Open to all teams in the English leagues.
The League Cup: Open to all teams who play in the top four (i.e. professional) leagues.
The FA Trophy: Open to all teams who play in the leagues below the top four.
The Football League Trophy: Open to teams in the bottom two professional leagues, plays along regional lines until the final.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

Good morning friends.
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: Reg
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Sorry to hear that the fires are ongoing, Reg. I looked at a wildfire map last week and it (Australia) was nearly confluent fires. Very sad. Any rain on the forecast?

No significant rain in the foreseeable future for this area. They said they are looking at a two week firefighting campaign. Having said that it looks like they are on top of things at the moment with no inhabited areas currently under threat so with a bit of luck it will stay that way.

We are the designated relief center for the area and the local show grounds are full of campers and caravans. Hopefully they will have somewhere to go back to afterwards.....

Oh Good Grief.......

I was planning to travel to Queensland this week as my father has been ill and what do I see on the news, ex-tropical cyclone Oswald is off the east Australian coast generating mini-tornados and extensive flooding in my home town. My family are all OK but apparently the garden took a thrashing.... It will probably be over (maybe) by the time I head up the later in the week but if experiences in the past are any indication the road network will have taken a beating.

Edit: If you see the roof off my uncles shed, please let him know as it has gone and there is no sign of it anywhere..... [X(]

Australia is certainly a land of extremes.... One minute you're dodging bushfires and the next you are dodging floods!! [:(] Looks like it will be be a fun trip across New South Wales...

Hopefully it will help the bushfire situation down here in the southern states. For your info the weather change that came through this week was milder than expected and the fire authorities successfully contained the fire within the containment lines and no more damage was done though the fire is still burning in the mountains. The final cost was 21 homes destroyed and one life lost but it could have been far, far worse without the efforts of the firefighters. Flood is devastating but nothing is as frightening as a big fire!!

I was talking to a local dairy farmer last night and he said the fire passed down his boundary fence but didn't come onto his property so he was fortunate that he didn't lose any stock or property. However, the electricity infrastructure was burnt out and it was three days before the they could bring in a diesel generator to power the dairy and milk the herd. They said the poor animals were fit to explode and they will probably have veterinary issues for a while.

Goodness, isn't life interesting!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-28/qld-flooding-alert-moves-south/4486666

It gets better and better,

This photo was taken earlier today where Bundaberg is undergoing the worst flooding ever recorded (WITP link - the previous record was 8.92m in 1942) and it isn't finished yet!! It isn't expected to peak until 10AM tomorrow at up another 0.8m to 10.0m. They had to helicopter evacuate the northern part of town as it went under today and the hospital patients are currently being evacuated to Brisbane.

I own a house 3 blocks off the bottom the photo below and no one can tell me if it has been flooded as they can't get over to the other side of town. [:(] And here I was saying everything will be fine as floods never reach that part of town!! [:@]

On the plus side everyone in the family is fine though my brother who is an emergency worker had to be choppered back to town after he got cutoff by flood waters yesterday.

This will probably all be over by the end of the week but the cleanup will undoubtedly take much longer.... [:(]

Attachments
655252aer..gfloods.jpg
655252aer..gfloods.jpg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

No significant rain in the foreseeable future for this area. They said they are looking at a two week firefighting campaign. Having said that it looks like they are on top of things at the moment with no inhabited areas currently under threat so with a bit of luck it will stay that way.

We are the designated relief center for the area and the local show grounds are full of campers and caravans. Hopefully they will have somewhere to go back to afterwards.....

Oh Good Grief.......

I was planning to travel to Queensland this week as my father has been ill and what do I see on the news, ex-tropical cyclone Oswald is off the east Australian coast generating mini-tornados and extensive flooding in my home town. My family are all OK but apparently the garden took a thrashing.... It will probably be over (maybe) by the time I head up the later in the week but if experiences in the past are any indication the road network will have taken a beating.

Edit: If you see the roof off my uncles shed, please let him know as it has gone and there is no sign of it anywhere..... [X(]

Australia is certainly a land of extremes.... One minute you're dodging bushfires and the next you are dodging floods!! [:(] Looks like it will be be a fun trip across New South Wales...

Hopefully it will help the bushfire situation down here in the southern states. For your info the weather change that came through this week was milder than expected and the fire authorities successfully contained the fire within the containment lines and no more damage was done though the fire is still burning in the mountains. The final cost was 21 homes destroyed and one life lost but it could have been far, far worse without the efforts of the firefighters. Flood is devastating but nothing is as frightening as a big fire!!

I was talking to a local dairy farmer last night and he said the fire passed down his boundary fence but didn't come onto his property so he was fortunate that he didn't lose any stock or property. However, the electricity infrastructure was burnt out and it was three days before the they could bring in a diesel generator to power the dairy and milk the herd. They said the poor animals were fit to explode and they will probably have veterinary issues for a while.

Goodness, isn't life interesting!!!

It gets better and better,

This photo was taken earlier today where Bundaberg is undergoing the worst flooding ever recorded (WITP link - the previous record was 8.92m in 1942) and it isn't finished yet!! It isn't expected to peak until 10AM tomorrow at up another 0.8m to 10.0m. They had to helicopter evacuate the northern part of town as it went under today and the hospital patients are currently being evacuated to Brisbane.

I own a house 3 blocks off the bottom the photo below and no one can tell me if it has been flooded as they can't get over to the other side of town. [:(] And here I was saying everything will be fine as floods never reach that part of town!! [:@]

On the plus side everyone in the family is fine though my brother who is an emergency worker had to be choppered back to town after he got cutoff by flood waters yesterday.

This will probably all be over by the end of the week but the cleanup will undoubtedly take much longer.... [:(]

Darn... [:(]

Fingers crossed...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Good Monday morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Return to “The War Room”