Another Of The Vets Gone

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Speedysteve

RE: Another Of The Vets Gone

Post by Speedysteve »

My condolences too tocaff. May your father rest in peace
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

I'm sorry to hear that your Father has passed away, my Mother left us 2 weeks ago, and it hurts when the special people around us leave this life.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Well said DivePac88.

My condolences Tocaff. My dad lost his closest friend just last week. Not a veteran but a great friend nonetheless. He was methodist and his wife catholic. The priest at his wife's church refused to do the service since he wasn't catholic. But she got hold of the former priest who led the church there and he was happy to do the service for her and did a beautiful job. Probably one of the nicest funeral services I've ever attended.

JamesM

Post by JamesM »

My deepest condolences.

I lost my father last month (89 yo) and an uncle two weeks after that so I know what you are going through.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Well said DivePac88.

My condolences Tocaff. My dad lost his closest friend just last week. Not a veteran but a great friend nonetheless. He was methodist and his wife catholic. The priest at his wife's church refused to do the service since he wasn't catholic. But she got hold of the former priest who led the church there and he was happy to do the service for her and did a beautiful job. Probably one of the nicest funeral services I've ever attended.

My father said a couple of years ago he was tired of going to funerals. The problem with a long life is your going to end up burying most of your friends.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

My father said a couple of years ago he was tired of going to funerals. The problem with a long life is your going to end up burying most of your friends.

Bill
My grandfather said the same thing many times. He lived long enough to bury all of his friends, many of their kids, and some of their grandkids. It was really lonely for him the last few years.
Pax
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: tocaff

As I sit here typing the tears roll down my cheeks because my father passed away last night at the age of 90. He was a man who was extremely calm, even tempered and didn't let bad situations get to him. He served in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. He flew as a radio operator in B-29s from Tinian Island's North Field as a member of Crew 32, the 313th Wing of the 20th Air Force, 9th Bombardment Group (VH), 99th Squadron. He never spoke about the war until about 30 years had passed, though when I was very young he let me play with and lose many of the medals that he was awarded for his service He was present on a Super Dumbo flight (observation) when the Nagasaki bomb was dropped. He will be missed and I wish I was more like he was.

My condolences to you and your family Todd...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Sorry to hear about your dad, Tocaff. My remote thank you for his service.

In order to have turned 18 in '45 one has to have been born in 1927. That means almost every American WWII vet has to turn at least 85 this year. There may be a few that turn 84 who entered service when they were 17.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

My father turns 93 this year. He was in the group who were perfect draft age when the war started. A lot of his high school class were killed as they were in the fight early on including every one of his classmates who volunteered for flight status with the 8th AF.

We lost the last WW I vet here in the last year or two. I forget exactly when, but I recall Wikipedia had a page listing the last ones. There were that few who made it to the turn of the millennium. In another 15 years we will be in the same situation with WW II vets.

Bill
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Bill,

You're very fortunate to have your Dad around yet.  Mine is gone these 14 years ... trust you are in a position to be able to spend time with him ...
Pax
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

We talk on the phone a few times a month. I don't see him much.

Bill
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

If you have the chance or even the possibility of making the chance, see your father and speak to him because timis is limited for us all.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

If you have the chance or even the possibility of making the chance, see your father and speak to him because timis is limited for us all.
+1

I have 5 siblings who didn't make the effort, thinking they had time. Well, Dad passed a lot sooner than they had "planned" and they have those consequences.

Me? Dad and I had every Friday together a local 'watering hole'. We talked, argued, reminisced and beveraged from 5 'til 9 every Friday for almost 4 years. As I had been overseas for almost 25 years prior, gave us a chance to actually know each other again. Worked out for me ...
Pax
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

+1

I have 5 siblings who didn't make the effort, thinking they had time. Well, Dad passed a lot sooner than they had "planned" and they have those consequences.

Me? Dad and I had every Friday together a local 'watering hole'. We talked, argued, reminisced and beveraged from 5 'til 9 every Friday for almost 4 years. As I had been overseas for almost 25 years prior, gave us a chance to actually know each other again. Worked out for me ...

Wow, that is a cool story.
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

My sincere condolences, tocaff.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

My humble regrets for your loss, Todd..............

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”