The USS Panay??

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

The USS Panay??

Post by Footslogger »

If the US didn't have this film footage of 'The Rape of Nangking', would we have acted different towards Japan?

And the USS Panay... never heard of that ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwYEFKr54vY
jmalter

RE: The USS Panay??

Post by jmalter »

the 'Panay Incident', when aggressive IJ airmen sank USS Panay (12 Dec 1937), was a bell-weather in alerting the US public to aggressive IJ moves in China, another step in the long road to full-scale war. IJ was thoroughly embarrassed by the sinking of the Panay, conducted a full-scale internal investigation, then released its results to the US, made a diplomatic apology & paid an indemnity to the USA. but the PR damage was done.

youtube vid that you linked looks more like a 'propaganda' newsreel that would've been shown in US theaters 2-4 years later.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

the 'Panay Incident', when aggressive IJ airmen sank USS Panay (12 Dec 1937), was a bell-weather in alerting the US public to aggressive IJ moves in China, another step in the long road to full-scale war. IJ was thoroughly embarrassed by the sinking of the Panay, conducted a full-scale internal investigation, then released its results to the US, made a diplomatic apology & paid an indemnity to the USA. but the PR damage was done.

youtube vid that you linked looks more like a 'propaganda' newsreel that would've been shown in US theaters 2-4 years later.

More info here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Panay_t.htm

Gilbert
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

A movie that I think captures the feel of being on the river during that period is "the Sandpebbles" with Steve McQueen.
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

If the US didn't have this film footage of 'The Rape of Nangking', would we have acted different towards Japan?

Very little chance of that. Too many reports from missionarys and other sources. Too much sympathy for the Chinese (a "special interest" of ours since the "Open Door Policy".). Too many reporters looking for "the story" (by the 1930's radio and newsreels were as competative as the "yellow press" had been in the 1890's). And most of all, the Japs were too blatently proud of what they were doing for it to be missed. If you look at it, most of the film shown is from Japanese sources..., only the commentary is in English. Japan's naked aggression against China wass an elephant in the room. You might try to ignore it..., but everybody saw it.
wolfclan

Post by wolfclan »

If you're interested in the period, the book (THE SAND PEBBLES) is much more informative than the movie. The author was actually a machinist mate on a gunboat in China in the 1930's. Based on my background, his description of Navy life from the deck plates was very credible. Others have said his analysis of the political and cultural situation at the time was excellent. And--it was a good read.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

The "Sand Pebbles" was set in 1927, during the Kuomandungs early campaigns against the Warlords (and to a lesser degree the communist---the war against them would come later). This was in the period prior to a big influx of American forces. The "Big" gunboats like Panay and her sisters were being constructed , and the "China Marines" had not arrived. Mckenna based his book upon stories of the "Old YANGPAT" (Yangzee patrol) that he heard when assigned to the "New YANGPAT" (the new "big" gunboats , not the old Spanish castoff's like Villabos- which the fictious USS San Pablo is based upon).

Admiral Kemp Tolley wrote an excellent history of the YANPAT called , "Yangzee Patrol". He's also write to very different books of his war experinces , "The Cruise of the Lanakai", and "Commissars and Caviar".
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

i really liked "The Sand Pebbles" book, it may have been my first venture into the historical fiction genre. the movie was a fairly good adaptation, also: Candice Bergen.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

i really liked "The Sand Pebbles" book, it may have been my first venture into the historical fiction genre. the movie was a fairly good adaptation, also: Candice Bergen.
Her first movie! And I agree the book is much better! Hal
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Her first movie! And I agree, the book is much better.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”