How many starting empires are still enjoyable?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

AminMaalouf

How many starting empires are still enjoyable?

Post by AminMaalouf »

How many starting empires do you normally set and what is the maximum to have an enjoyable game with 1400 stars in 10x10 sectors? I intend to use the mod DW Extended 2.0.2.

JCVocke

RE: How many starting empires are still enjoyable?

Post by JCVocke »

ALL OF THEM!
Igard

Post by Igard »

All. Sometimes. I like to set up my empires in a specific way. Especially when playing mods. I'll have some major empires and a few medium power empires, and quite a lot of small empires. I think playing with randomly setup empires makes the game kind of like roullette.

This is why I REALLY want to be able to save my other empire setup.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Personally, I have the two majors: the Republic and the CIS and let the machine do the rest...
I like the fog of war and not knowing what I am getting into...

If I had a wish, it would be to be able to set up possible empires/nations and let the computer select a couple. But I have now is pretty fun...

See that is the coolness of the game system... different people like different things about it... I play a huge universe because it helps the fog of war...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
AminMaalouf

Post by AminMaalouf »

Sounds good to me.

Another question ...

Do the race specific victory conditions influence or as Jeeves said in his quick guide, do they handicap the AI? Might it be better therefore to disable the feature in games where the map gets anyway crowed due the number of empires?
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

i set for there to be one of every race in the game
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

I set to 9 starting, and new empires as an option, because 3 or 4 will spawn eventually in the first 15 years of the game.
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne
I set to 9 starting, and new empires as an option, because 3 or 4 will spawn eventually in the first 15 years of the game.
That many?
I have lots planets with races on them, but seldom run into any empires other than the one's I set. Some of the planets gain 'empire status' but do not last long against the CIS or Republic...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne

Huh.I have not noticed that at all.I never see any.
martok

Post by martok »

ORIGINAL: JCVocke

ALL OF THEM!

This.

On smaller maps, I'll significantly scale back the number of starting empires, but I max them out on the biggest galaxy size.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

The spawned empires I have run into are absolutely insane.
The Dayhut (I kept the original Dayhut in my Clone Wars mod) spawned an Empire or grew into one -- wahtever it was, and they were attacking everything in sight... and taking no quarter. And they would go to war at the drop of a hat or in this case, the drop of a lightsaber...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”