Event engine

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: doomtrader

rmonical

Event engine

Post by rmonical »

I have had TOF for a week and am very impressed. Particularly with the event engine.

I was unable to find the meaning of the oneTimeChecking parameter. My guess would mean that it is to check once per month or some other interval. True? Is it monthly? I think this because there usually an event specific flag that controls whether an event can fire.

Note that Microsoft provides a free tool: XML Notepad to allow one to view and edit XML files.
JLPOWELL

RE: Event engine

Post by JLPOWELL »

Hard to say what that does exactly. It may check once per game. I notice you tend to get a cluster of events at or near the start of a scenario (more in later ones). It would be wonderful if they would publish a list of parameters and methods used by the event system. They must have it documented somewhere. Wasteland is pretty supportive of modding, in design, but information is hard to come by. Unfortunately these are conflicting priorities: protection of proprietary design elements vrs support for customer modifications.
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

the oneTimeChecking parameter means that the event will be checked only once per turn.

Normally the event engine is going through all the events checking for conditions, if an event is triggered, then the whole event data base is checked again, but if an event with oneTimeChecking parameter set to "1", has been already checked this turn, then it is skipped.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

ORIGINAL: JLPOWELL

Hard to say what that does exactly. It may check once per game. I notice you tend to get a cluster of events at or near the start of a scenario (more in later ones). It would be wonderful if they would publish a list of parameters and methods used by the event system. They must have it documented somewhere. Wasteland is pretty supportive of modding, in design, but information is hard to come by. Unfortunately these are conflicting priorities: protection of proprietary design elements vrs support for customer modifications.
List of parameters and methods used by the event system is attached to the game in the events folder. Check for file called EVENT_ENGINE_MANUAL.txt
Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

the oneTimeChecking parameter means that the event will be checked only once per turn.

Normally the event engine is going through all the events checking for conditions, if an event is triggered, then the whole event data base is checked again, but if an event with oneTimeChecking parameter set to "1", has been already checked this turn, then it is skipped.

Here is a short example: This event removes 1 amphibious point to Germany each turn if oneTimeChecking is set to 1.
If oneTimeChecking is set to 0 it will remove all amphibious points each turn because the event "loops" until no points remains.

Attachments
untitled90.jpg
untitled90.jpg (275.45 KiB) Viewed 93 times
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Indeed, this is the best example of use of this feature.
It can work as a counter in different situations.

Return to “Tech Support”