Babes Guadalcanal Scenario

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Symon

Babes Guadalcanal Scenario

Post by Symon »

The Babes Guadalcanal Scenario 034 is back up on the site. It got a major facelift, thanks to Sam Natalionis, and is now compatible with his upcomming 1942, Operation SF scenario.

Still having trouble getting that pesky AI to act like we want it to, so the posted version is still H2H or PBEM only. Maybe one day we'll get the AI under control [:D]

Anyway, it's up.

Ciao. JWE

Sorry, here's the link https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
oldman45

RE: Back by Popular Demand

Post by oldman45 »

Thanks boss.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Thank you very much, I'd like to give a try [:)]
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Symon, two dumb questions for you:
1) can I play this scenario with the last michaelm's unofficial public beta patch?
2) I think I don't need to download the extend map, is it correct?

Thanks

[center]Image[/center]
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

Symon, two dumb questions for you:
1) can I play this scenario with the last michaelm's unofficial public beta patch?
2) I think I don't need to download the extend map, is it correct?

Thanks
Ciao, Blind Sniper.

Not dumb. Yes, you can play the scenario with any and all of Michaelm's beta patches and I recommend you do that.

You should use the extended map. The scenario has Shortlands base moved down one hex and the original shortlands hex renamed to Buin. The extended map has the art work in panel 24 that supports the new base layout. The pwhexe file has the addition of an island in the new shortlands location. When the AI finally gets finished, both of those bases will be called on, so it's probably best to start it out with the extended map.

Should have mentioned that in the instructions on the web site. My bad. Will correct the oversight.

Ciao, JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
Symon

Post by Symon »

BTW, see you have a PBEM game coming up. Would be very interested on thoughts about a few areas.

Are there too many or too few transport ships? We tried to make it as actual as possible, but sub ops are waaaay too effective for both sides, especially when players use 20/20 hindsight. So just picking off the limited number of transport/cargo ships could make it way too easy for one side or the other. But just doubling the transports would give both sides the opportunity to do what they never could do irl. Matter of balance. Could just cut the number of subs in half [8D] but would like some input on a player's perception of the shipping situation.

Also fuel/supply; too much, too little? That's easy enough to tweak, but player perceptions do play a role in determining how much.

Would appreciate comments. Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Ciao Symon,

thanks for your support, I installed all necessary stuff and it seems work properly. The map is bigger than stock and it looks nice.
BTW, see you have a PBEM game coming up. Would be very interested on thoughts about a few areas.

Sure but maybe I'm not the right person, I don't have enough experience to know if something is unbalanced or not.
If you want I can try to write an AAR (English skills and time permetting) and you can see yourself how is going.

[center]Image[/center]
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper
Ciao Symon,
Sure but maybe I'm not the right person, I don't have enough experience to know if something is unbalanced or not.
If you want I can try to write an AAR (English skills and time permetting) and you can see yourself how is going.
AAR is not necessary. Experience isn't necessary. Just play it out and give give me your thoughts, no matter what they are.

A lot of newbys play small map scenarios, so what they percieve and learn is very important. So too is their input on the playability of small map scenarios.

You are exactly the 'right kind' of person. 'You' are who we built these scenarios for. Please help us improve our product by telling us where we can improve things. You will find we are always willing to respond to criticism, comments, suggestions on Piedmontese recipes, etc..

Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

I will try to do my best [:)]

[center]Image[/center]
dwg

Post by dwg »

Downloaded, been wanting this for a while ;)
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Symon, sorry to bother you but I have some more questions for you.
Given that I don't think you are reading my AAR here my doubts:

Why some dot base have so many supply respect a normal ones? Is it intended?
(i.e. Dagua dot base (and no units there) start the game with 1000 supply and 800 fuel whereas Wewak with an Eng unit start with 120 supply/fuel).

I noticed that Allied transport ships are already unloading units at Lunga/Tulagi, moreover the Australian brigade is at PM in one turn, maybe there is there a magic movement in the first turn for both?
Fine for ships but not so sure about ground units.

Thanks

[center]Image[/center]
Symon

Post by Symon »

Ciao, Blind

Yes, I'm reading your AAR and posted some thoughts about fuel/supply and dot hexes.

The scenario begins on Aug 6, which is invasion day, so the 1st MarDiv is pre-programmed to load and 'magic' move to Kunga/Tulagi so the scenario begins with the Marines arriving out-of-the-blue, as it were. Pretty much the same with Moresby, although perhaps a 'regular' move would be more appropriate. The original scenario design wanted to have things happen, in the first 2-3 days, as they happened irl.

Now, clearly, in a PBEM environment, an Allied player can tweak the TFs to go somewhere else, or trash them entirely. The scenario specific opening moves are more for the AI, and for the player who wishes to accept the day-1 movements and spend his time marshalling his rear area forces for subsequent operations. This is a 'Guadalcanal' scenario, after all, so it starts with the invasion of Guadalcanal.[;)]

There's some Japanese magic moves in the scenario. Some of the early arriving reinforcements magic move from Truk to Rabaul, but they are not required to continue to Guad. I mean, who is dumb enough to throw Ichiki against 1st MarDiv? So maybe some other units arrive a few days early and the whole magilla sails to reinforce Tassafaronga. And so on, and so on ...

The scenario must have starting conditions, just like PH in the GC game. That's what the scenario data is all about. But just like the GC, a PBEM player can do whatever they wish.

Hope this answered your question. If not, please feel free to post again and get as specific as you wish.

Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Thanks again for your answers, I see the point of your choices and all is clear now. [:)]

[center]Image[/center]
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Ciao Symon,

about Australian brigade magic movement was my fault, it is still there. Wrongly I though that enemy ground units in the same hex with friendly units cannot hide to me...they can [8|]

Sorry

[center]Image[/center]
traskott

Post by traskott »

This is a bit OT but I can't finde the file for Scen B of TheIronBabes v4. There is no link at the web? Where can I find it? thanks.
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: traskott
This is a bit OT but I can't finde the file for Scen B of TheIronBabes v4. There is no link at the web? Where can I find it? thanks.
Find it here: https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswi ... ronbabes-b

File is named IronBabes_B_AEScen030_v04a.zip and you have to go all the way over to the right of the line and click on the red down-arrow.

Ciao [:)] JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
traskott

Post by traskott »

OMH, I have a phone on that side of the monitor, which hide the arrow... [:o][:o]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Symon

ORIGINAL: traskott
Find it here: https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswi ... ronbabes-b

File is named IronBabes_B_AEScen030_v04a.zip and you have to go all the way over to the right of the line and click on the red down-arrow.

Ciao [:)] JWE
Having run into that issue myself on the Babes web site (I guess it's just specific to Google Sites web pages), I added a colored notice line to the bottom of the page on the Intel Monkey site to try and head it off.

Attachments
IntelMonk..120409.jpg
IntelMonk..120409.jpg (227.69 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Symon

Post by Symon »

Thanks. Good idea. I'll have Mo do that.

Am learning a major lesson. It's all well and good to have a perfect OOB, and perfect arrival times and arrival locations, but the AI don't care jack squat about how pretty the database is, it's just looking for things according to it's instructions. And it's instruction set is limited. Woof!!!

And then Sam Natalionis chimes in with some extra bases he's done for the '42 Op SF scenario, and convinced me that they need to be inlcuded. So there's Segi Point (111:135) and Choiseul Bay (111:132) in the Solomons; Pongani (100:130) and Wanigela (101:132) in Papua. All these make sense in terms of the operational/tactical nature of the scenario.

Ok, so every time I think I'm getting a handle on this, I get pitched a slider. But so far so good, still at bat. Found some really hateful, Andy Mac'ish things to do.

Ciao JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

My biggest annoyance was adding new bases

I annoyed everyone with that one

Every time someone wanted to add a base I had to say no during development

We knew we wanted to add more but editing the ai scripts for them each time would have been impossible.

It's why in some places we have railways to no where because I had to say no more bases at some point when e map and oob folks wanted to add new ones

Painfully but necessary

It's good when you can add them in small scenarios because the ai can be amended. Which is why I added more bases on my battle of Burma scenario

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”