Difficulty Levels

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Jobylens

Difficulty Levels

Post by Jobylens »

Hi all i'm new this game and still stumbling my way through it...can someone tell me what the difference is in the difficulty levels ? Does the AI get bonuses or does the human player get penalties etc?
elmo3

RE: Difficulty Levels

Post by elmo3 »

Welcome to the forums Jobylens. From the manual:
3.3.2. Difficulty Level
There are five general difficulty levels, Easy, Normal, Challenging, Hard and Impossible. The difficulty level is set by varying the percentage of five different factors; morale, fortification building speed, supply, transport, and administrative points (3.3.3). Using the format xxx/xxx, where the first number is the human player and the second number is the computer player, Easy difficulty level has all values set to 120/80, Normal has all values set to 100/100, Challenging has all values set to 90/110, Hard has all values set to 80/125, and Impossible has all values set to 70/150. Players can generate a custom difficulty level by manually setting any of the factors for either side. The default setting is Normal.
Whenever the morale level is set to 110 or greater, then leader admin checks for movement allowances are always successful (14.1.2) and the Soviet AI is able to build combat units so as to maintain a force of 300 divisions and 100 brigades at no additional admin cost (12.2.4). In addition, whenever the morale level is set to 125 or greater, all leader initiative checks for movement allowances points are also automatically successful.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Jobylens

Post by Jobylens »

Thanks Elmo....guess I need to go and read the Manual again.....properly this time [:)]
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

IMO, the two biggest for the Russians are the moral and admin point settings. For the Germans, the moral setting has a big impact as well.

If you are playing against the Russian AI and are over the 110 admin setting, they basically get unlimited admin points. This means armies will pop up out of nowhere and when it comes time to be able to upgrade into corps, the entire front will suddenly have a pile of infantry corps from one end to the other.
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

You can also adjust the settings in-game. So for example you can go with a higher setting in summer/autumn 1941 to help the Soviet AI out and then switch to a lower setting once blizzard arrives.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: Klydon
IMO, the two biggest for the Russians are the moral and admin point settings. For the Germans, the moral setting has a big impact as well.

If you are playing against the Russian AI and are over the 110 admin setting, they basically get unlimited admin points. This means armies will pop up out of nowhere and when it comes time to be able to upgrade into corps, the entire front will suddenly have a pile of infantry corps from one end to the other.
One might say that this is not necessarily a bad thing - if you can damage Soviet manpower and industry badly enough, the AI will keep building division/corps "containers" that it will never be able to fill up to a decent TOE. Their whole line will be all the weaker for it because the strength will be so diluted.
buchand

Post by buchand »

For the less capable general, i.e. me, the settings have made the game for me. Personally I only adjust the settings for the side I am playing and leave the AI at normal. Supply is key for the axis for the start of the game, followed by morale. As noted above admin then morale for the USSR.
Plan? What plan? Attack!!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”