Hidden set up

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

fentum

Hidden set up

Post by fentum »

I notice that the hidden set up conditions are different between the boardgame FF and PC FF. A good example is General Petrov, where all Russian units start hidden in the BG but not all in the PC.

This can make quite a difference to deployment. I also feel a bit bugged that I have to position the Russians in slightly stupid positions in the PC in order to hide them turn one then move them as hidden in turn two. E.g. I place them BEHIND woods then hide then move into woods. Feels wrong. In the BG I just set them up hidden in woods.

Is there a reason for the difference? Any chance the FF can move to the BG set up?
IronFist00

RE: Hidden set up

Post by IronFist00 »

Hi fentum, sadly this is the case in quite a few firefights in the PC game compared to their equivalent in AtB SE. Eric would respond that the PC game was developed over such a long period of time that they went with the First Edition Firefights and they were tested for so long, he was loath to toss that out (which is understandable). WCS is aware of the discrepancy but need to see how the game sells through the current sale and how "Storms of Steel" does before they can commit to updates. For now, we are stuck with the existing FFs unless someone is willing to tackle converting the Second Edition FFs to the PC. I've done Partisans but haven't had the time nor skill to do more. The one I really would love to see added to the PC is the new Firefight 2 - NKVD Defense at Mir. Imo that looks very interesting.

Eric, please correct me if I got anything wrong in my response.
fentum

Post by fentum »

Hi VR_Ironfist,

Did you say

"how Storms of Steel does"

Where can I give Matrix Games all my money? [;)]
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

Haha, I hear you! Between Academy Games and Matrix, I know where my birthday money will be going. But heck, I have to support good games or they'll stop making them. [8D]
fentum

Post by fentum »

Happy Birthday! [:)]
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

Thanks - it's about a month early but I wanted a plan where I would spend it in place. [;)]
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

That's basically right. Uwe has more people helping him with the board game than I have helping me with the computer game, and it's much (much) easier to change things in the board game, so AG makes changes faster than I can implement them. It should be fairly easy to mod the firefight to make all Russians start hidden, so maybe somebody could put a modded version together. I also believe that AG got a second product out of the new firefights, so maybe some day we could release new firefights as a DLC pack or something.
fentum

Post by fentum »

I also believe that AG got a second product out of the new firefights, so maybe some day we could release new firefights as a DLC pack or something.

I'm not sure what you mean by a second product from new FF's? Havent seen that in the boardgame route. There seem to be PLENTY of FF's for the PC game right now - good job on adding extra vs the boardgame in the base PC game. (Although I could do with a few more small unit count adventures...).

It would be lovely to update the FF's as well as the mechanics if at all possible. e.g. all hidden units as per OP above.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”